1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 on Oly e-pm2 body

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jarola, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Jarola

Jarola Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Jarek
    Anyone using a panny pz lens on an olymus body? I was wondering if the len's stabilization works better than the olympus built in stabilization.

Thanks

J

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I have this combo. Haven't experimented much with the IS yet, but so far they seem pretty comparable to me.

3. Jarola

Jarola Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Jarek
    Have you tried any video? My pant 25mm on the pm2 is very shaky. I would primarily us the pz for video. Thanks

4. papamac58

papamac58 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    I put my pany 100-300 on my OM-D with the lens OIS off and it was pretty shaky, especially when I turned on the magnification function for manual focus. I then tried it with the OIS on and man what a difference.

5. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Yeah the IBIS on the Pens isn't going to be comparable to Power or even mega OIS, especially at longer focal lengths. For video it's basically useless. Conversely, the OMD's IBIS is far superior to anything other than steadicam or tripod for video. Really hope they find a way to stuff that IBIS into smaller bodies.

6. Jarola

Jarola Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Jarek
    Awesome that was what I was hoping for. I just bought the 14-42x on eBay to use for video on my e-pm2.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Are you sure it's engaging the IS when you're not pressing the shutter, with IBIS enabled? IIRC the default is to only activate when the shot is taken.

8. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Not sure if the info you're looking for that combo is accurate. Couple of things, someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Panasonic's lens based OIS does not work on Oly bodies
    2. E-PM2 does not share the same IBIS as OMD
    3. I believe all Oly IBIS aside from the OMD does not work very well with video. Looks un-natural which is probably why you're hunting for other solutions.

Hopefully this is helpful to you. I'm the one you bought that lens from and it's a great lens (I don't see the double image with this copy) and I use it for video a lot even indoors at 14mm f3.5 but I have Panasonic bodies and can leverage the OIS on the lens.

9. papamac58

papamac58 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2012
    Black Diamond, WA
    I can't answer all the questions but I can tell you that all four of my pany lenses have OIS and it works great on my O-MD. I will check my camera settings for ibis settings.

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    1. Yes it does
    2. True
    3. Yes it does. Some may find it excessively 'smooth', I guess.

11. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Cool didn't know that. I always thought panasonic lens ois didn't work on oly bodies. This is new for me =). When I look at IBIS samples online with non omd oly bodies it shakes kind of funny for me? I'll find an example later.

12. Jarola

Jarola Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Jarek
    I know that the e-pm2 allows lens stabilization priority. So I would assume that it would disable the built in ibis and let the lens do its thing.

13. MattiasBredberg

MattiasBredberg Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Mattias Bredberg
    I would like to borrow this thread for a minute. I have an E-PM2 and 14-150 which is a fine combination except for a) it is not meant to fit in a pocket to say the least and b) a power zoom would be nice for shooting video.

Are there any other things to consider when using a Panasonic lens on an Olympus body? I have read somewhere that since Panasonic do in camera CA correction (and I think distortion vignetting etc) the do not work to hard on correcting that optically. Could that be so or is it a good combination?

14. MadMan

MadMan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2013
    It's been a bit over a year, any chance you could update us with your experience, and tips? I'm looking at the same combination now. Thanks.

15. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I don't have PZ but the Panasonic 14-42mm II, the OIS works really well on E-PM2 that I just recently got. Say good bye to IBIS's wobbly videos