Showcase Panasonic Lumix G -X- 45-175 HD

Real Name
Roddy
I still quite cannot get over the performance of this lens in decent light - and I mean that from a 'carry-everywhere lens' viewpoint. It's never going to have the IQ and resolution of the O40-150PRO, nor the PL55-200, but for about $150 it's an absolute no-brainer to have in the pocket or an EDC bag. It's certainly better than the old P14-140 4.0 -5.6, and in bright light at 60mm it even gives my Sigma 60mm a run for its money. But it's at the far end, at 175mm, that it's a real steal for the money. And the OIS in the lens works very well; on Mrs M's old G6 there is little I can't do with it that I can on the GX8 (plus I finally got to try out the power-zoom feature, which is interesting).

The photo below illustrates the out of focus effects quite nicely. It's not been PP'd except for some basic parameters.

P1330599 copy_HDR3.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
I still quite cannot get over the performance of this lens in decent light - and I mean that from a 'carry-everywhere lens' viewpoint. It's never going to have the IQ and resolution of the O40-150PRO, nor the PL55-200, but for about $150 it's an absolute no-brainer to have in the pocket or an EDC bag. It's certainly marginally better that the old P14-140 4'5-4.6, and in bright light at 60mm it even gives my Sigma60 a run for its money. But at the far end, at 175mm, it's a steal for the money. And the OIS in the lens works very well; on Mrs M's old G6 there is little I can't do with it that I can on the GX8 (plus I finally got to try out the power-zoom feature, which is interesting).

The photo below illustrates the out of focus effects quite nicely. The shot below, for example, has not been PP'd except for some basic parameters.

View attachment 851714
I knew you’d enjoy it.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris

Real Name
Roddy
I knew you’d enjoy it.
Yes, indeed! Together with the P12-32 it makes for a really nice lightweight kit. I need to buy something smaller than the GX8 to go with it. A G100 might work, just need to see one. I'm not bothered about the lack of IS, to be truthful.

Real Name
Roddy
Asian hornet 6 feet above me up a tree, slightly cropped. I'm convinced the OIS in the lens works better on the G6 than it does when trying DUAL IS on the GX8. It's uncanny how good it is on the G6, makes for a really fun outfit.

P8280191_HDR.jpeg

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I want this lens now Roddy.
I did not realise that it was power zoom!
That will be sweet....

Real Name
Roddy
I want this lens now Roddy.
I did not realise that it was power zoom!
That will be sweet....
Well, I'd love you to find one and report back to me whether it does the same for your G6's as it does for mine! :D. I've been hankering after a GX7 to replace the G6 for some time now (there's currently one for £130 on fleabay) , but I won't switch if the G6 has some 'fairy-dust-ical' relationship with the lens. I'll sell the wife's old 14-140 to fund it - she'll never notice.... :D

And while the power zoom is going to be really useful when using the phone as a control, I still prefer to dis-activate it when using it manually - I like having aperture on the lever and SS on the dial as two separate controls. You'll know where I'm going with that.....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom