Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm f/4-5.6 II POWER O.I.S. Lens

Krandall

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Karen Randall
I'm planning my next trip, which will be Australia this summer. (their winter, I know, but that's when they asked me to speak, so...)

I currently have, and am happy with the 14-140 lens for my GX85, purchased because I found the 45-200 soft for my tastes. But the 14-140 doesn't have quite the reach I'd like for wildlife, and I would prefer to leave my DSLR gear at home. So I was wondering what people's experiences were with the 100-300, or if there were other options people liked better.

DaveEP

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I bought the 100-300 II as an addition / replacement for the Oly 40-150 + TC because I don't want to lug that around, especially on long haul travel (I'm selling the Oly).

I also have the 35-100 f2.8 (love it - but always wanted more reach) and the 14-140 II, so those are what I'll compare it to.

While I don't get to use the 100-300 II as often as I'd like, when I do use it I have no complaints at all. OK, it's not f2.8, but in reasonable light that's not a problem.

The dual IS works well (I use it with a GH5) and while it's not quite as sharp at 300 as it is at 100, it's better than the 14-140 is @ 140.

All in all, no reasons not to get it if this is the focal length you want and it matches your budget.

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
Good lens - get it.
The only alternatives are the Oly 75-300 - OK lens but the Panny is better with your camera (dual stabilization) -
and the PanLeica 100-400 - a lot more expensive, and much larger and heavier - not a real good match for the GX85 -
and there is a discussion going on about Panasonic not supporting it properly past the warranty period.

Cagey75

Mu-43 Regular
I'm still using the old Mk1, optically identical just a bit slower on the AF side and no WR, but it was less than half the price used. Very nice lens, you'll get cracking shots with it once you get used to such a long FL

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
The differential decision on the V1 or V2 300 -
Is the money a big factor? - buy V.1, used.

If not, consider that, while your GX85 is not weatherproof,
you may in the future buy a m4/3 weatherproof camera -
and you will be happy you bought the WP lens.

I don't think the faster focusing is a big deal
and, something I'm curious about,
I believe it is a completely different type of mechanism.
I wonder is it is more or less durable than the original one.
Many times things are a technical advance,
or smaller and lighter,
but they aren't as strongly made.

You will love the lens - or at least I do.
One thing a lot of people don't realize is
that it is a great lens for nature and flower shots -
it focuses close enough at 300mm
that you can fill the frame with a flower.

Play with looking at a lot of things and places with the longer end -
it's a different way of seeing the world.
Like I said, I love it!

:biggrin: :2thumbs: :biggrin:

Cagey75

Mu-43 Regular
If you buy a used MkI, get the firmware upgrade to it. :)

D'oh! I just realised after you posted this that mine was still on the original firmware. I had updated the first copy of the lens I got, but that one had an overly stiff MF ring so I exchanged it, forgot to update this one. I've been using it a couple of months now and was thinking the OIS could be better. Updated and gave it a quick test, there is noticeable difference with the OIS, it seems much more stable, for both photo and video. AFC in video is a lot smoother too. Cheers for that reminder!

danelkins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have the 14-140 II on a G85 as well as the 100-300 II, IMHO you will be happy with the 100-300II if you are pleased with the 14-140mm. The version II of the 100-300mm is an improvement over ver.I, I tried 3 different and had to pass. One recomendation I have is to pick up a DMW-HGR2 grip, it will give more to hang on to with that lens on. Have fun on your adventure.

Krandall

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Karen Randall
The differential decision on the V1 or V2 300 -
Is the money a big factor? - buy V.1, used.

If not, consider that, while your GX85 is not weatherproof,
you may in the future buy a m4/3 weatherproof camera -
and you will be happy you bought the WP lens.

I don't think the faster focusing is a big deal
and, something I'm curious about,
I believe it is a completely different type of mechanism.
I wonder is it is more or less durable than the original one.
Many times things are a technical advance,
or smaller and lighter,
but they aren't as strongly made.

You will love the lens - or at least I do.
One thing a lot of people don't realize is
that it is a great lens for nature and flower shots -
it focuses close enough at 300mm
that you can fill the frame with a flower.

Play with looking at a lot of things and places with the longer end -
it's a different way of seeing the world.
Like I said, I love it!

:biggrin: :2thumbs: :biggrin:

I was able to find a used V2 on B&H. I only saved about $50, but it was better than nothing! And I feel pretty safe buying used from B&H!

Krandall

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Karen Randall
Got the lens yesterday afternoon, so haven't had a chance to do a lot with it, but so far I'm pleased... Just out in the yard yesterday. I was particularly pleased with the one of my son with the leaf blower since it probably most imitates shooting something "live" in the wild. He was about 200 yards away, handheld, racked all the way out:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bustertuck

New to Mu-43
For the GX85, the 100-300 II is a great lens. Not too big, supports Dual IS and DFD, good handling, sharp even at 300mm and at max. aperture... (I have both.)
Hi. I've got the 100-300ii lens, great lense. Wandering about the firmware version your on because I'm on 1.0 on the pny website said there's an update not sure if that's for the mark1 or 2? Any help would be great. Cheers.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
That's correct; no firmware update is available for the 100-300 II at Panasonic's firmware download page.

Panasonic prints the model number of their lenses on the underside of the lens near the mount. If you missed it, the 100-300 I is the H-FS100300 and the 100-300 II the H-FSA100300. For the 100-300 I the current firmware version is 1.2.

Last edited:

Bustertuck

New to Mu-43
[/Q
That's correct; no firmware update is available for the 100-300 II at Panasonic's firmware download page.

Panasonic prints the model number of their lenses on the underside of the lens near the mount. If you missed it, the100-300 I is the H-FS100300 and the 100-300 II the H-FSA100300. For the 100-300 I the current firmware version is 1.2.
Thank you so much, that's put my mind at rest! Have a good day.

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I'm planning my next trip, which will be Australia this summer. (their winter, I know, but that's when they asked me to speak, so...)

I currently have, and am happy with the 14-140 lens for my GX85, purchased because I found the 45-200 soft for my tastes. But the 14-140 doesn't have quite the reach I'd like for wildlife, and I would prefer to leave my DSLR gear at home. So I was wondering what people's experiences were with the 100-300, or if there were other options people liked better.
I have had the lens now for a few months and love it. Images are quite sharp and it has good color rendition. Really cannot go wrong with that lens. I opted for it over the Panasonic 100-400 as it is easier to hike around without much weight.
GR

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago

Panasonic prints the model number of their lenses on the underside of the lens near the mount. If you missed it, the 100-300 I is the H-FS100300 and the 100-300 II the H-FSA100300. For the 100-300 I the current firmware version is 1.2.
Thanks for that. I'm awaiting the arrival of a mint/used one advertised as a ll but the images on the advert weren't good enough to verify. I know where to look now

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Yeah, the first time I ordered a II I got shipped a I by mistake. The II is also labeled Power OIS above the OIS switch and in the front ring lettering rather than the Mega OIS of the I. Presumably there are also differences in the serial number ranges but, to my knowledge, that's not documented anywhere.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom