Panasonic LUMIX G Macro 30mm f/2.8 $298 at Adorama

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by rusteel, Jul 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    I don't have a macro lens because they're expensive but not this one. Is this a good deal or better get the Olly 60mm macro instead. Any thoughts from the experts? Thanks.

Bundle link.
    Amazon.

2. rizaaroni

rizaaroni New to Mu-43

Jun 25, 2016
    Not an expert, though while the price is much less, the focal length being so short may be an issue. If you want to get shots of smaller objects, you'd have to be really close to them, more so at 30mm than 60mm. The Olympus 12-40mm at 40mm can actually get really close, though it isn't of much use if the subject will fly/jump away.

I'd probably save up for the 60mm or find one used (albeit they seem to rarely come up for sale here or on other sites). If price was the main issue, I'd probably look into reversing an older film lens on one of the lenses you already own. Would get you really close shots and would could be really cheap (<$50 for lens and adapter).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I don't think I'd recommend a reverse adapter when it's now possible to get full-fledged film macro lenses for easily less that $100. The Vivitar 55/2.8 would be my recommendation since it goes to 1:1 natively and can sometimes be found for $50 or so. The Sigma 50/2.8 MF Macro is similar, but somewhat more expensive. For longer lenses, the Vivitar 100mm/f3.5 is a bit plasticky, but very inexpensive as well.

If you want something even cheaper than any of those but that will still go from macro (1:2) to infinity focus, the Canon FD, Olympus OM 50mm/f3.5 and Nikon 55mm/f3.5 macro lenses are all crazy cheap, for around $50 guaranteed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012

You might google "panasonic 30mm macro review" and read the reviews. From what I recall, I think a longer length (e.g., 60 vs 30mm) is considered to be better for macro. I got a refurb O 60mm macro from authorized dealer OlympusGal via ebay for $349.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JNB

JNB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    The bundle stuff is not really an incentive, but the 30mm is an excellent lens for the price. It depends on what you're looking for. For real macro work, the Oly 60mm or PanaLeica 45mm give you a more comfortable (farther) "working distance", which is important with some subjects (insects, for example). The 30mm is quite close to the subject at its greatest magnification. The 45 and 60 can also double as credible portrait lenses. OTOH, the 30mm is a great (longish) "normal" lens, that doubles as a macro when needed. I remember when 57 or 58mm (full-frame) was a popular focal length, and the 30mm sits right there (60mm equivalent)

I have all three -- the Panasonic 30, the PanaLeica 45, and the Oly 60. From an IQ perspective, they're all excellent with some minor differences in IQ and "rendering". The greater difference lies in the focal length and perspective that gives. Sometimes I even take TWO macros with me as part of a prime kit -- 12, 17, 30, 60.

• Like Like x 1
  6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I've been debating about picking up this lens too. I don't do enough macro to justify the Oly, and when I do, it's never insects, just flowers, etc. When I had a Pentax K-x, I loved the DA 35 Macro. It was my main lens. But since I own the Oly 25/1.8, don't know that this Panny would get much use.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I ended up using one of those Raynox clip on adapters. i don't do enough macro to justify investing in a dedicated lens. It works well for my needs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rizaaroni

rizaaroni New to Mu-43

Jun 25, 2016
    The results from those adapters seem to be pretty good. At least given what their cost is. Not a bad way to go either.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rizaaroni

rizaaroni New to Mu-43

Jun 25, 2016
    I mentioned/recommended them since older FD lenses can get pretty cheap (i.e. a 50/55/58mm lens) and a regular 50/55/58mm lens reversed would achieve some really close up shots. At least from my memory of doing so years ago. May not be ideal, but it would be a cheaper way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    Thanks for all your inputs guys, appreciate much. The price is down to $229 at eGlobal right now, very tempting. I would buy it but not sure how legit that online retailer is.