1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic LUMIX G 14mm f/2.5 ASPH II Lens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lew, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    I don't quite get this lens, only 1mm wider than the 15/1.7 and almost a stop slower. What's the point?

• Like Like x 1
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's cheap and it's small.

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Price, size, announcement dates, 1mm is not so small on wide angle.

4. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Yes. Does it have anything else going for it?

5. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    You just got 4 distinct and accurate reasons that distinguish it. What more do you want?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    At the price, the 14mm f/2.5 is a steal. I have always gotten great results with it and it's size is perfect for cameras like any of the GM, GX and GF series cameras. If you need faster, don't mind the slightly narrower FOV and have the money to spend, by all means go for the 15mm. But I bought the 20mm f/1.7 a long time ago and, paired with the 14mm, I find it eliminates the need for the 15mm for me. There's also Olympus's 17mm f1.8 to consider.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Or you could say, whats the point of the 15mm, the 14 has been around since the days of the GF1, I find it a great lens and use it about 60% of the time

• Like Like x 5
  8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    14mm f2.5 - most compact lens in m43 lineup. Very sharp, fast AF incl. C-AF which makes it great for video. Good in low light due to sufficient DoF at f2.5 for group pictures. But yes, 15mm f1.7 would be more versatile but way more expensive.

9. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    What were you hoping to hear?

I will also add that it makes a very acceptable 11mm with the GWC-1 on the front and thus you get for a fraction of the price an 11mm f2.5 for less money than the 12mm f2

But your question is a bit like "what's the point of the father now that we have the son"

I agree with the other poster, I never saw the point of the 15mm when it was released, but that was because I don't lavish money on my hobby like it was going out of fashion.

• Like Like x 3
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The 14mm was one of the earliest m43 lenses. The question as others noted -- what's the point of the 15mm. The answer to that is -- aperture ring on the body, much faster aperture. Should be slightly faster focusing, as well.

I recently pulled the trigger on a P14 re-buy (probably the 4th time I've owned this lens) after weighing all the options. $150 for a lens that I can resell at $150 any time. Not much to lose.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    ... but isn't the 2.5 the newer of the two? The 'father' is the 1.7, not the other way around.

12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    There are two versions of 14mm/f2.5: one announced in Sept. 2010 and ver. II announced in Sept 2014.
    AFAIK, changes in ver. II are just cosmetic - black finish instead of grey.

15mm/f1.7 was announced in March 2014.

• Like Like x 1
  13. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The 1.7 lens is brand new. 14mm lens has always been 2.5.

GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

14. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    They made the 14/2.5 years ago and was and still is m4/3s smallest variable aperture lens. The fact that they made the mkII version has nothing to do with the recent existence of the 15/1.7, rather, they just wanted to update its aesthetics. The 14 is lower priced and came with Panasonic cameras as a kit. It still might in the future. The 15/1.7 might too, but at a price. I paid $75 for mine. Find a 15/1.7 for even close to that. 'Nuff said.

But for new users today, what's the point of buying a NEW 14/2.5 on Panasonic's website? Well, you're right, other than size, not much. I have the 20/1.7 and the 12-32 which is as small as the 14. I don't really need the 14 anymore but won't get much if I sell it. I like the 15/8 though. So much fun!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Ah ah! My bad. Thanks.

16. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Pretty sure B&H has used GF3/14mm combos for $199 right now, which is dirt cheap with a tiny body thrown in!

GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

17. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

I was sort of reacting to the "whats the point" implied by the OP rather than sledging the 15 f1.7 per se ... all lenses have some sort of point and some sort of pointlessness for each person and application. I do find it odd that people say such as "more versatile" and much faster ... to me a 15mm is quite similar to the 14mm in focal length and the aperture ring won't work for Oly users (I'm Panasonic bodies anyway) and the aperture is about 1 stop faster ... which is not what I call much faster, just a bit faster (less than half a stop is not even worth considering). The 14mm f2.5 is nearly 2 stops faster than the 14-45 zoom which I personally call a more significant difference ... but I guess that's splitting hairs

However as the OP has identified that he didn't realise the history of the 14mm f2.5 his question basis becomes clear :)

anyway ... pardon me being pedantic ...

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Sorry. I wasn't replying to your post (didn't think I quoted your post). I was replying to the OP.

19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    no probs ... I was really just leap-frogging off yours, and just ruminating on the concepts. So totally no offence intended or offence taken on my part ... I realise too that I'm a bit too OCD on some subjects.

:)

Best Wishes

• Like Like x 1
  20. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    As someone who waited over a year to get the 14 and has not regretted it for one second, I have to say this:

You have to handle the 14 to truly understand its point. The numbers on websites are impressive. Tiny and light. But you don't realize just how tiny and light it is (and just how portable it makes M4/3 bodies) until you've handled one. I love being able to slap the 14 in my pocket without thinking about it while I have the 45 on the body and having a great, fast, high quality walkaround setup. Or, I'll toss the 14 on it and literally forget that the camera is on my shoulder, because the combo is so small and light.

The 14 is a little gem, unlike anything else in the M4/3 world.