1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Black or White - $298 w/ FS @ Adorama

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by ajamils, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 10.1 Megapixels Digital Camera with 3.8x24mm Wide-Angle Leica Optical Zoom Lens - Black or White - $298 w/ FS @ Adorama

Black

White

• Like Like x 1
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm done with small sensor cameras, but that white one still tempts me.

3. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
  4. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    These were at 300 earlier this week or maybe last week.

I can't get this camera out of my head. I think I need to buy one. If anyone spots another deal at $300 or better, please update this post to feed my addiction.

Thanks in advance.

5. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I'll try to do that, if I can remember. I'm like you... I want one badly.

Price has bounced around a lot since this thread. Based on the recent trend, I expect we'll see another temporary price drop in another month.

Btw, sites like camelcamelcamel.com will let you track the pricing of Amazon products. And if you check that site, you'll see the pricing trend I was noticing.

6. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The crazy thing about this camera is the ƒ/1.4 zoom lens which remains only ƒ/2.3 at full extension.

I've been carrying around my EPM2 with O17/1.7, which I find to be a tad front heavy. And I'm always worried I'm going to drop or damage the lens, so I baby it everywhere, and it is starting to wear on me.

For a carry-around camera, I liked my Pentax Q + 01 Prime. I think I'd like the LX7 too.

My big problems with Panasonic are:
    (1) Panasonic colors, and
    (2) Panasonic's wonky auto-ISO

I'm sure a hughlight profile will exist for the LX7, solving issue #1.

My problem with #2 is that previous Panasonic cameras generally revert to base ISO with too-long exposure durations. However, with ƒ/1.4-2ish, that will probably be OK. And DOF won't matter so much due to small sensor size.

Of course I love Pentax, and the MX-1 is charming, but it lacks a hot shoe so I can't really consider it. And at 300 the LX7 is a relative bargain compared to the MX-1 (or XZ-2).

7. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    After a torrid last six months of Black Friday sales, President's Day sales, and then also maybe a Japanese end of fiscal year sale as well, it looks like prices are back to normal on the LX7. It seems to have sold pretty briskly at the sale prices. Now that there have been a lot of reviews and plenty of people own it, I wonder if Panasonic may just let it float at regular prices for a good while. I guess it depends on how much inventory they originally produced.

8. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Speaking half in jest, and without being contrary to you, Panasonic prices stick to MSRP for about a month and then go through drawn out periods of no stock followed by fire sale, followed by no stock, followed by fire sale, etc.

Prices follow the supply and demand curve, but Panasonic supply is either all or nothing, therefore whenever a Panasonic camera is sold it is either at huge discount or completely unobtainable.

I can't imagine paying MSRP for a Panasonic item.

9. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Currently $289.99 at Amazon.

Ordered one for myself.

10. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    Yes, I got it but haven't tried it yet.

I haven't done many long exposure shots of this type. But on a long exposure, I would normally choose base ISO regardless. So not sure I understand the scenario. Why do you need high ISO on a long exposure shot?

LOL

I guess I haven't been around long enough to see this cycle.

Read a good article recently about how JC Penney customers got addicted to overpriced MSRP + coupons and markdowns. When they tried to restore pricing to everyday good values, their customers didn't respond. I wonder if Panasonic has backed itself into a similar corner.

11. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    What I mean is that generally, the shutter speed should be 1/focal-distance, maybe modified for pixel density or equivalent focal distance, however you like. When I mount a 45mm lens on my Olympus body, it will select 1/90 for the shutter and whatever ISO is necessary to deliver the photo. In the past, it seems to me that Panasonic will select 1/15 for the shutter (or some other dumb setting that will never work out) so that it can use ISO 160 or whatever base ISO happens to be. It isn't that I want a long exposure, but rather that when I've used Panasonic cameras in the past under Auto-ISO, the camera will start with base-ISO and adjust other parameters to get the exposure, often ruining the shot with too-long shutter speeds, or too-open apertures (depending on the selected mode).

With this camera I can shoot at base ISO and ƒ/1.4 and still have a reasonable shutter speed. So even if Panasonic hasn't made their exposure selection a reasonable process that is willing to use ISO 400 or 800, it should still select something reasonable with reasonable DOF.

12. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    The black LX7 is back down to $299 right now from Amazon.

It was $450 for a while.

Loving mine.

13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Remember, if you're addicted to Olympus colors, you're not going to like the LX7. My LX7 may be going up for sale because of that reason and because I don't want to have to purchase special photo editing software (comparable to the free Olympus Viewer 3.0) that's compatible with Panasonic's RAW files.

I also don't like the huge file sizes of Panasonic video and all the extra time it takes to find the hidden .mts video files, then convert them to Mac friendly .mov files. And even after going through all that video processing pain I find video quality of the LX7 is inferior to the E-PM2/E-PL5/OMD. And the audio quality vastly inferior to my OMD.

14. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    You know I really tried to like this camera. I used it for two weeks and returned it to Amazon yesterday. I can't even tell you why I didn't like it... The images were just so "blah" no matter what I did re: settings.

15. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    Most shoot RAW on the LX7, even if you just plan to do a quick batch development from your favorite default settings. I haven't tried it yet but Huelight has a default profile that some may find more appealing. Auto WB under CFL lighting is a weakness on the LX7 for sure, but auto WB misses often indoors even on my D7000. On the LX7, I always shoot with a custom WB under CFL lights. In general, I think most would agree Panasonic does not excel at SOOC images like Olympus and others. Would be a good idea to try some LX7 forums to get support on jpeg settings.

I can't really agree on it being hard to find hidden mts video files. They're just in a different directory than the still photos. It's not hidden or anything. There's one directory for video files and one directory for still photos. Easy.

Conversion time for Macs, well, that's certainly reasonable. I do believe you can record in MPG format, if that helps. I'm a PC user so don't have these issues.

If you are an experienced video user, then you are entitled to your opinion.

If you aren't, just be aware that video is no different than still photography. You need to understand your tools. If you are a beginner at video like many of us, then it is possible you are comparing apples to oranges. My understanding is the OMD only shoots high resolution 60 fps in an interlaced format. Is it possible you simply prefer the look of 60 fps interlaced video and don't plan to do any video effects like action scenes, slow motion, or advanced editing, most of which require the option of high fps progressive video that the LX7 offers and the OMD lacks? My understanding is that progressive video can be converted to interlaced in post processing but that it is harder to start with interlaced and then try to convert to progressive.

That said, the LX7 is a smaller sensor camera and we should compare its video to other small sensor cameras. I would never compare its video to my D7000, for example. The cinematic 1080p 24 fps on the D7000 crushes it.

Personally I use the LX7 indoors on a tripod for family video. The wider DOF, facial recognition AF, and bright f/1.4 lens is great for indoors night video. I like that I can just run the camera, forget about it for 30 minutes, and capture a nice candid slice of our family's activities. For AF video, I think a small sensor camera can keep up faster b/c of the wider DOF so for me that's the video sweet spot that the LX7 fits in and why in addition to the stills capability the LX7 is a great bargain.

16. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I wonder if this sale has anything to do with rumor of Panasonic camera with built in viewfinder and same sensor as Lx7. To be honest I am doubtful about this rumor but it is listed as Ft 5 on 43rumors.

17. BAPHA

BAPHA Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Well, if the rumor is true the discounted price obviously makes sense but the same price was available at the end of last year so it's hard to deduce one from the other. Plus, the new camera may not necessarily replace the lx7.

18. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    • Like Like x 1
  19. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    I'm guessing for this situation you'd have to be running in aperture mode or using iA? I didn't realize other manufacturers determined shutter speed differently using focal length.

For the most part, I avoid this situation on all my cameras by setting aperture and shutter speed, and let ISO float, since I have reasons for wanting certain apertures and shutter speeds, but generally low ISO is always good and the cameras are better at optimizing low ISO than I am.

The only time I sometimes seem to choose aperture mode is in outdoors daylight and in that case, the shutter speeds are probably much faster than 1/focal length so it generally hasn't been a problem for me.

20. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Fyi, this is back down to $298 on Amazon.