Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 astonish me so much that I´m going for a GH4 now!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ramirez, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I had a very pleasant time filming a band in an night club with my GH3. The result are better than i suspected I´d get.
    A very easy camera to film with and to work with, specially with shoulder rig and good primes!

The band vas very pleased with the stuff I showed just from the camera, right now I'm editing the video.
    They told me they had some other gigs that I could film as well and that they would recommend me to other bands.

This time I had the X-E1 as b-cam due to the fact that I could use the same 24p on both GH3 and X-E1.

But something hit me... I don´t use my X-E1 much and I could trade in the X-E1 with lenses and maybe even my OM-D E-M5 if the price is too steep.
    I could get the Panny 12-35 or the 35-100 in the trade. Then sell off some redundant primes.

This makes sense to me as my photo/video journey has lead me to hybrid and a little bit into videography.

I understand that if I continue with this "hobby" recording bands etc. Then I need a good b-cam too. If I´d get the GH4 I have an a-cam; the GH3 would be b-cam. Similar cameras to work with which is great while filming in stressed situations - similarity is king!

I have been rectulant before about trading in my Fuji gear but the truth is:

1. I use my Fuji X100s as my everyday camera
    2. When I´m taking my nature walks I use either my EM-5 or GH3
    3. When I sometime use X-E1 it is usually on some "artsy" object as I don´t find the AF fast enough for people situations (the X100s is, but it is newer with hybrid AF)

I also haven't intended to expand my Fuji X system (I only have XF18-55 and XF-35).
    I could replace the XF18-55 with Panny 12-35 and XF35 with maybe the new Oly 25 (I know it isn't as fast but fast enough for me).

As I see it now the GH4 would be the best way forward for my type of photo/hybrid/videography.

The evening when I recorded the band it just hit me:

- This is what I want to do! Record music, people working with video and hybrid (the photo side in the video feed)
    - I want to expand on this and also future proof my equipment...

I can summarize my journey; I began with mainly photo, tried out some video and now I am moving more towards video (right now I'm in the hybrid area somewhere).

Wouldn't it then be right for me to trade in gear that only gets used to photo an "artsy" object for a GH4?
  2. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Updated! I got a b-cam for cheap!

I just jumped on a Panasonic Lumix G6 (demo unit with full warranty). This was the economical way for now.
    I can´t go to 4K just yet either as my computer really works hard even when editing GH3 video. To much expenses.
    But I believe that a G6 will serve well as a b-cam to GH3 :smile:
  3. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Lucky for me, I'm starting over with m4/3 and have a lovely wife who preordered me the GH4, otherwise I would say that you have quite the dilemma on your hands but luckily it appears that you found a resolution.
  4. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I came to this conclusion after shooting with my X-E1 coupled with the XF35. Such a beautiful lens! I really enjoy some of my m4/3 lenses, like the m.Zuiko 45, but there is something special with the Fujinon XF35. I would miss it too much. So I decided to keep my Fuji gear, mostly for the XF35.
    Then I found this demo G6 and it solved my situation for the moment at least.

The thing is that I started to get some paying gigs; recording bands. I need two videocams for this. They haven't started to ask for 4K yet so for now good full HD is ok. The b-cam was a must though.

My way of working during these paying gigs;

- GH3 on shoulder rig.
    - G6 is going on the tripod. (I had the X-E1 for this duty last time but the video wasn't good at all, too much difference between video clips between GH3 and X-E1 made the X-E1 video unusable)
    - Photos with X-E1 (for this the Fujis are great) - still objects that I can use when putting some photos in the film later on when editing
    - Photos with OM-D EM-5; people photos due to better AF and IBIS

So on a gig I use 3-4 cameras...
    The "Hybrid" way!
  5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    If you eventually end up with a GH4, I would be interested to know how you like it. I think the GH series is perfect for hybrid shooting (photo & video). Though I don't do video, I'm a happy camper with the GH3 so far, would be turning one year with it by the end of this month.
  6. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Someday I absolutely will end up with a or a couple of GH4:s. But my computer hardware needs to be updated first; I´m sitting on a Mac Mini 2,5 dual core i5 right now. Even when editing GH3 video it can work hard. Then off course the monitors need to be updated for 4K. It is going to be expensive!

So for now I´ll record in HD with two cams.
  7. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    I own the GH3, GH2, G6 and just gave my wife the GH1. I also reordered the Gh4 and cant wait!
  8. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    The GH-series is the best! My GH3 has really changed my way of doing things. I'm more into hybrid now then before. I hope to get my hands on a GH4 one day too.
    When are you expecting your GH4 to arrive?
  9. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    My GH3 will eventually become my backup camera when I can afford to get the GH4. Seems like a good combo. I usually carry a little GF3 around with the GH3 now for quick and easy shots.
  10. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    The G6 seems like an absolutely great deal for video, especially if used or demo. And especially if they ever get around to hacking it. ;)

With those bigger bodies, the Panasonic 25mm would also be an option, a little closer to the XF 35-
  11. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    Im guessing around may- its preordered with prime shipping
  12. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Japanese press release that got circulated a few weeks ago had April mid-twenties as the ship date. Didn't say if that was Japan only or what but all indications I've seen have said that US is supposed to be one of the earliest launch sites so ... here's hoping! Have mine pre-ordered with Prime as well.
  13. RRRoger

RRRoger Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Monterey Bay
    [QUOTE On order: Panasonic 14-140.[/QUOTE]
    I have the 14-140 f/4-5.8 and although the f/3.5-5.6 is suposed to be better, I recomend the 12-35 instead.
    It is more than worth the difference in cost.

My GH4 has shipped. I hope to enjoy it soon.