Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 first impressions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by srhphoto, Jun 21, 2013.

1. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    Well, my G6 arrived from Wex Photographic today. I ordered the body only kit, and think I got in just in time as they are now showing it as being out of stock again. I won't have access to a PC until tomorrow evening (its away being repaired), and I won't have any photos to share until Friday but I thought I would give some initial impressions.

To start with, it's a handsome thing! That might seem a strange thing to say, but it just looks right and I think Panasonic really have done a good job with the cameras design. It feels lighter in the hand than you might expect looking at it, but it still feels very well constructed with very tight seams and shut lines. The grip fits my hand like a glove and felt very comfortable, much like the G5s that I've handled.

The EVF is excellent. I have been using an NEX-7 lately and from my initial 'playing' it doesn't lose out on anything compared to that cameras higher resolution EVF. More on this when I have used it in anger, but first impressions are favourable. Colours appear accurate, and I am not aware of any smearing when using it. It is a huge step forward compared to my GH2.

The new touchscreen is a joy to use. High resolution, and easily as responsive as the screens on my Samsung Smartphone and iPad. I can only imagine how good the viewing of captured images will be using it compared to my GH2.

I've had a brief skim through the menus and put a basic set up on to the camera. There is a huge amount of customisation available which is a good thing :) . I imagine I will continue to tweak this as I use the camera more.

So far, focus peaking seems to be implemented at least as well as the NEX-7. It lacks some of the options of the NEX (peaking colour, intensity), but it is extremely easy to see and so far I've not had to do too much fine tuning once I've focused using peaking. This I need to explore more. It could be down to the much better CDAF that the G series has compared to Sony. If it is, then peaking just got a whole more usable for us legacy lens users. More experimentation needed over the weekend.

Finally, the WiFi functionality is a doddle to use. I was shooting remotely from my iPad in under 30 seconds, and at close range the response time to changes happening on the camera but made on the iPad was pretty much instantaneous. It took a little longer to set my Samsung Galaxy Note smartphone up, and it was a bit more laggy in operation, but still very usable.

So far so good :D . You'll have to bear with my for photos, but I am off on Friday so I'll put it through its paces properly then. In the meantime, fire away with any questions and I'll try to answer them the best I can.

Cheers,

Simon.

2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Cheers for the writeup Simon. I'm keen to hear if there is any point to shoot in b/w mode using focus peaking if you can't change peaking colour? On an nex c3 yellow focus peaking on b/w made it a cinch to focus quickly and easily.

3. ConChuot

ConChuot Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Please send pictures soon. Thx

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Show some pictures in your hands and next to other cameras?
    Every preview pic I've seen strikes me as particularly ugly, although in context I also find the Sony SLSTs ugly.

5. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
  6. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Nicely done. Who says m4/3 can't do sporting events? :smile:

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I love the look of the G6, but I've not got along at all with the Panny menus. Have they adjusted them at all?

8. GH2 vs. G6

As a GH2 owner, I'll be very interested to hear how the image quality of the G6 compares to the GH2. Unless there is a fairly significant improvement, I don't see much reason to upgrade.

Still, the G6 has two features I'd really like to have: a better grip and focus peaking. If the image quality has improved, particularly in low light, and the price gets down to around $500 (body only), I will be tempted to buy one.

9. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    Better graphics, but essentially the same I'm afraid. Much, much better than those found in the Sony NEX series mind you!

Simon.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Better graphics would be a step up. I found the Panny menus to be a little clownish. I'd love to see them a little more professional looking.

11. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    would there be any sense in upgrading to this from the g5?

12. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
  13. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Simon, thanks for sharing this information! I find it especially useful because I think G6 will be my next camera.

14. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    All of the photos were taken with my legacy Tokina 300mm f2.8 AT-X SD lens in Canon FD mount. They are therefore all manually focused. The combination of improved EVF and peaking makes this fairly easy to do :)

15. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    I think only you can answer that. I was (still am) using a GH2, so it definitely was worth me upgrading. I've never used a G5 I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Simon.

16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Have you tried 'NFC' on the camera?

The G6 is the first M43 camera to have 'NFC'.

17. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Ahh thats awesome. Been fielding a Nikon 300mm f4.5 for my tele needs :thumbup:

18. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    The G6 is the only NFC device I own, so I have nothing to pair it with to try it out I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Simon.

19. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Compared to Olympus, Panasonic's menus have always been a paragon of clarity and convenience, despite their somewhat industrial looks.

20. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I like Panasonic menu pretty much, a lot more streamline than olympus one, even now I still have trouble remembering what setting were under which menu with Olympus