1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 vs Cannon T4i

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Kofqueens, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Kofqueens

Kofqueens New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2012
    I already have a Panasonic m4/3 camera but now thinking about about one of these two. I couldn't find any videos or many articles comparing these two cameras. Could you guys please tell me pros and cons of each of these cameras? Also, if possible please suggest me any links where can read or watch more about comparing these two. Thanks in advance.

-Naresh

2. Kofqueens

Kofqueens New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2012
    Sorry for the typo, it should be Canon not Cannon :)

3. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Can't comment on the G5 specifically but if you already are in the m4/3 system, why not stay in? Why get a T4i and have to get lenses for that system? The 18-55 kit lens is alright, nothing sp

I am a Canon shooter and after renting an EM5 and a Pana 25 1.4 for the weekend I'm not sure I would get a T4i instead of an EPL5 for the same price (actually a little less) if I was already in m4/3. Aside from the innate DOF advantage you'll gain with the larger APS-C sensor of the Canon, you're going to have to get faster or better quality glass as well which is additional cost.

I have a T3i and a 60d and I personally think Rebels are overpriced when they are first released. They become "right" priced after a year, and after that they get better and better priced. They are limited in ISO selection and customization as well as other ways compared to the Canon xxd and xd bodies or many of the m4/3 cameras. I imagine the T4i will be just as good or most likely slightly better than the G5 in the ISO department because of the new processor and larger sensor.

The fps and AF during video should have an * next to them because on paper they look good but in practice they aren't quite what you might expect. You can watch a review video on Youtube to see what I mean (try The Camera Store).

Just quickly looking at reviews on something like Photography Blog, these 2 cameras look pretty closely matched in look, construction, and ergonomics. Obvious things Canon will give you are larger sensor, slimmer DOF, optical VF. G5 gives you familiar system, already have lenses, electronic VF, more "reach" with the x2 crop factor.

After all of that I just said, the REAL question is why do you want the T4i when you already have a Pana m4/3 camera? That would make giving answers more specific and easier :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What lenses and accessories do you have for your Panasonic? I don't think we can give you sound advice without knowing more about your system, not to mention what you shoot.

5. Kofqueens

Kofqueens New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2012
    I have the following kit:
    Panny DMC-GF2 with the 14-42 lens
    Panny 20mm f/1.7
    Panny 45-200 mm telephoto zoom lens

Both pancake lens & telephoto lens are fairly new. I have bought this camera last year mainly for taking videos and starting taking photos with the two new lens. Maybe because of the camera but I am not very satisfied with the quality of the pics.
    Even though I am beginner, I take portraits, travel and nature photographs.
    I have also used my friends Canon t1i, t3i and Nikon D5100 and the photos I took with them looked very good compared to mine (both outdoor and indoor) .

I am not worried about the size of the camera, just wanted something that will work for me. If I buy a t4i, i will keep my GF2 (with the kit lens) for videos and sell the other two lens.

Not sure whether 24.3mp will help me, but I also started looking at Sony Alpha A65.
    As I mentioned, I am still a beginner so please help me decide.
    Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    It'd help if you can quantify what you weren't happy with in the pictures from the GF2. Are you shooting JPG, or RAW? If you're not shooting RAW then you're definitely not getting the most out fo any camera and you're depending an awful lot on the JPG engine for the look and feel of your photos which might go a long way toward explaining why the Panasonic is lagging behind the Canon and Nikon options.

I had a GF2 and it was certainly capable of some great photos but had limitations in areas like noise performance at high ISO that are much better on later 16MP sensors like in the G5. I felt comfortable pushing to ISO 3200 on the G5 where ISO 800 started to look too noisy for me on the GF2. Resolution will be somewhat higher as well given the extra pixels to work with. There is also a pretty big ergonomic improvement with the G5 plus things like viewfinder, tilt/swivel screen, longer battery life, etc.

The main benefit you're likely to see with a T4i would be slightly more shallow DoF for equivalent apertures, which is often a plus in portraits (but has some disadvantages in low light or landscape shooting where more DoF is often useful). You're talking a stop or less DoF difference going to APS-C though, so it's not dramatic. If you're shooting portraits you might actually get a better improvement out of picking up an Olympus 45mm f/1.8 or something like that to complement your existing kit rather than switching to a completely different system.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kofqueens

Kofqueens New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2012
    I was looking at or comparing sharpness and clarity of the photos taken by both cameras. I was shooting both RAW and JPEGs.

I have not tried t4i yet, so will shop around this week to see if I can find both cameras in stores and will try to feel both of them.

8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    There is an increase in resolution going to the Canon T4i from the GF2, which would be less noticeable with a 16MP m4/3 camera. Not having experience with the Canon I couldn't speak to the differences more specifically than that. Best suggestion I have would be to look at G5 photos (ideally with the same lenses you're likely to use) and see if they approach the look you prefer.

The G5 Image Thread has examples to get you started, and/or you can also look at Flickr images taken with the G5 as well to compare to the Canon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I own many bodys, I own the Sony A65, and I owned my Canon T4i.

IMO, the Sony A65 kicks the T4i to the curb.

the t4i, and the t2i I owned before it, just proved to be boring, unispiring to me. I sold the t4i and don't know if I will ever own another Canon again, and I used to be a big fan, but their lack of innovation just ruined it for me.

the rebel series just seems to be the 'same old, same old'. Nothing innovative, just a rehash with minor tweaks of the previous release. Now you can get a very nice file with them, but for me personally, I need a camera with some soul, some mojo, which I found in the lowly e-pl1, that little lean mean picture taking machine in spite of all it's short comings has some mojo...

It's funny, I pushed off the t4i on my son, whom loved Canon, and yet he keep wanting to take my Sony A65 when we went out and shot. He now uses our Omd Em-5.

Don't rule out the Sony A57, it is a fine camera, there is a reason why the A57 and the A65 both received Gold awards from DP Review...

• Like Like x 1
  10. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    As the above poster said, the T4i is just... boring. Image quality wise, the G5 and the T4i should be very similar in overall performance, although Canon might have better jpegs(besides the naturally smaller DoF). The canon will provide more manual control for video, whereas the G5 will provide better overall features(imo) and a much smaller body/system

If you're doing portraits, well, you don't really have any traditional portrait lenses there. At the very least get an old 50mm f1.4-f1.8(I'm a fan of the canon fd 50mm f1.4), if you can deal with manual focusing.

At the price range you'r looking at, there are many great options. As the above posted said, the A57 is a great option with better image quality than either of the mentioned cams. the NEX-5R is another good option for the price. However, if you wish to stay in the M4/3 realm, I'd highly suggest you look at the E-PM2 and E-PL5. Either of those will noticeably outperform the G5 or T4i regarding image quality, and do so in a miniscule body. I also think olympus provides better jpegs than either Canon or Panasonic. Plus, you can always add an EVF later, should you want to.

One note, you say you're a beginner... why do you care about "sharpness?" What I mean is are you making very large prints? "sharpness" and "clarity" are much more lens features than they are sensor ones. What the sensor will tell you primarily are dynamic range and iso performance, with color rendering and depth being harder to notice but also very important. In other words, I highly doubt that you'd see a significant difference in sharpness and clarity with a G5 or T4i over your GF2 during daytime shooting given lenses of similar quality. Just food for thought.