Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Is Here!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by michaeln, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    What camera were you using before?

Paul

2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Congrats, Michael. I'm right behind you in receiving mine. This camera really has a lot of awesome features from the sensor, processor, 1080p/60fps video (for amazing slo-motion video), HDR feature, easy to use AEB, silent electronic shutter, high-res fully-articulating LCD, great grip/hold at no extra cost, Pany menu structure, and on... all, wonderful upgrades from the G3, which is an awesome camera in it's own right. I have a hunch that I may like working with this camera more than with my E-M5. We shall see.

3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Doesn't the G5 use the same battery as the GX1? Where did I get that idea...?

OH, maybe it's the same battery as the G3 but not the G5. Darn....

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Similar experience with purchase of GX1 from Kenmore. First class outfit!

5. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    No the G3 and G5 don't use the same battery, PITA!!!

Paul

6. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    One thing I do like about the G5 over the G3 is now I can use 'M' mode and have much easier control over A, S and ISO, S is set via the thumb wheel, A via the rocker lever and ISO now by pressing fn3 and using the thumb wheel!!! Still wish ISO was auto selectable in 'M' mode though, oh well.

Paul

7. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    We purchased our GH2 from Kenmore Camera when it first came out....great company to work with! It was hard to find, and Kemore had it and delivered it fast!!

8. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    This is another great attribute of the G5 - for those of us who already have a GH2. I happen to have a GH2 and four GH2 batteries... for ONCE, no need to wait to charge the battery that comes with the new camera and no need to buy any back-up batts. :whoo: My G5 is expected to arrive by noon tomorrow... eagerly awaiting. :smile:

Kenmore has given me great and fast service in my purchase experience. I had never heard of them until Michael mentioned them to me a couple of days ago.

9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Great to hear you guys are having good experiences with them. Since they are just a few miles for me I've been popping in from time to time. Seem to be very competitive with everyone. A number of guys in the store actually shoot with m4/3 gear. One of the guys showed me a few pictures from his hikes with the 7-14 and they were great. Hoping they get the 12-35 in soon so I can look at it in person.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I've been trying to use Silkypics too, figured "don't knock it till you've tried it" but while it produces 'nice' images with the basic settings and adjustments I got fed up trying to do anything other than basic changes as I just couldn't get it to do what I wanted and just couldn't be bothered trying anymore.
    No point in hassling Adobe, they will put out an update for LR etc in their own time, just have to be patient, that's one of the problems being an early adopter.

Paul

11. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
  12. Lauzers

Lauzers Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi Kiwi Paul,

I notice you have a G3 previously, are you planning to keep both G3 and G5? I'm asking because i want to justify if it is worth upgrading.

thanks.

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  14. michaeln

michaeln Guest

Thanks for the tip, meyerweb. I will go through the tutorial, since it appears I'm going to have to use this software for a while.

HOWEVER:

Don't follow the advice to download the latest version from the website. The latest version there is OLDER than the one that ships with the G5 and cannot open G5 raw files.

The G5 ships with version 3.1.11.1 which does support the G5 raws, the latest on the SP website is 3.1.10.2 (.4 for the Mac).

15. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Yeah I'm keeping both, I wanted a second body and was going to get another G3 but the G5 came out just as I was about to buy a G3 so I pondered over it and decided long term I'd be happier getting a G5.
    I'm not expecting to see much if any difference in IQ but the new ergonomics, extra buttons, lever and level make it a nice upgrade. Whether it's worth upgrading for the sake of it I don't know, I was happy enough with the G3 and don't think I would have upgraded, it's just I wanted a second body.

Paul

16. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    In case this assists anyone - the BLD- 10 (I think this is the right product code - in bed and not near my gear whilst writing this) is common to GX1, G3 and GF2 the DE A94 (or 93 in USAI think) is the charger common to all three