1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 In Stock At Kenmore Camera

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by michaeln, Aug 16, 2012.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Thanks for the tip, Michael... a G5-body is now on its way to me from Kenmore. :smile:

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I somewhat impulsively placed an order with Kenmore at 8:35 this morning. Less than three hours later, I had notification that it had shipped! No time to reconsider my decision.... :)

3. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    So they might have been even quicker to ship mine if I had chosen premium shipment! I opted for simple UPS Ground...

4. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I requested Priority Mail, paid about $8 for that. It was shipped within hours and arrived two days later. Good place, Kenmore! And wonderfully careful attention to detail in packaging:

Yes, this is "old school" packaging as it was done back in the day when careful attention to doing every thing well (in America anyway) was much more common than it is in today's quick n dirty world.
    Z8180035.

5. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Don, I just cannot get comfortable with sending expensive items via USPS. Too many horror stories... Glad they came through for you!

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I never thought I'd ever say this but that is one sweet packing job...yeah that still sounds odd, but it is well done. If I got that I think I'd feel like I should send them a tip or something. So now if we're done ogling the box...HOW IS THE CAMERA?

7. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    By old school, I meant done with care, time and attention to detail. Most boxing jobs done in the shipping dept for typical consumer products these days are done with much less care and attention to detail. That's all I was saying. I receive a LOT of packages from lots of retailers and this taping was done with far more care than the vast majority of shipping depts. apply to a run of the mill shipping job. Same thing on the inside... inner box perfectly centered in peanuts with paperwork neatly and perfectly centered on top where you open it. Laid out to be read right side up the moment the flaps were opened. It was a very nicely packaged shipment that was obviously given more time and attention than most shipping depts give. That's it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    yep. :rolleyes:

9. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    On the flip side, recently I've received two packages from a very large e-tailer where the packaging was inadequate, causing the boxes holding the small items (optical and electronic viewfinders) to be severely deformed. Fortunately, in both cases the items survived. Kenmore's care in packaging is important enough that I may forego free shipping available from other suppliers.

10. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Tell them they're the unsung heroes of the global supply chain!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    So when will this camera drop below $400? :wink:

12. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Except once in a while... at least on the m4/3 forum, they do get sung, gloriously! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You'll never see that from a huge operation like Amazon or B&H. I love to get gear packed like that, but as someone from one of the large operations once told me, they aren't meant to require that kind of care, and they aren't packed like that en route from the manufacturer to the camera store warehouse.

14. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    +1

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I never said or implied that anyone was suggesting it was necessary, and I did specify that I love to get gear packed like that. I was simply providing the additional information, unrelated to what anyone else was or was not saying, that it probably makes no difference.

The reason I shared this info is two-fold: 1) some might be interested to know it, and 2) I've seen many threads where people are shocked to receive their Amazon or B&H package with the camera or lens box right up against the side of the outside box. Some go so far as to return such items. I've clarified this with folks at those stores and thought the info was worth sharing that this is how the gear gets to them and that the way the gear is stored in its own box is meant to be sufficient protection for shipping regardless of where it is located in the shipping box.

The analogy I'd make here is to a lens maker who goes the extra step to make sure there is no dust or debris in my new $1000 lens. I like to get boxes packed this way, and I like my lenses to arrive without internal dust. In both cases, it's speaks well of the pride of work and gives me a good feeling, but neither is of any practical importance.

16. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Amin, that works well for large items that are packed well at the factory. My issue is with small items that are in minimal packaging (no internal padding) being put in an envelope with no packing instead of a small carton with peanuts or inflatable padding; it's happened twice now with relatively fragile viewfinders, and it's amazing one or both weren't crushed. I don't blame the person on the shipping line; I blame the managers who set the (low) standards for packing these items. I won't buy an item like this again from that supplier.

17. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Amin, I'm one of those who has returned a lens for poor packaging. My 100–300 arrived from Amazon with the smaller lens box literally rattling around in a large box. NO packing materials. And, the way the lens is packed in its Panny box there is virtually no cushioning at one end. So, it is not impossible for the lens to impact a hard surface with very little protection.

The second lens came the same way.

I cringed and decided to chance it. It has been fine, but I would infinitely prefer the lovely packaging offered by Kenmore..

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, that is a different story!

I hear you, Kristi. I bought the same lens, twice, so I know what you mean, but even with that lens I think there is more packing at the end than you may think. Unless the trauma to the box actually deforms the box, the lens is protected against any kind of direct impact. The only thing it isn't protected from is the momentum of it sliding around causing something to shake loose, and when you see these boxes get thrown around by the shippers or hear about how they are packed en route from Panasonic to Amazon, I still don't think it matters much how they are packed en route from Amazon to us.

Still, I share your appreciation for the Kenmore style of packing. Every time I sell a lens or camera, I take great care in how I pack. It probably makes no difference, but I think we all prefer it.