1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 (Body with Lens Kit) - 14-42mm $389.95

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by st3amco0ker, Feb 17, 2013.

1. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    WOW. How am I supposed to hold back from this???

Great deal, thanks!

2. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    I saw this last night... Great deal!

3. Giant bubble guy

Giant bubble guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    The price is $499 when I add it to my cart. I think the $399 price is an error.

4. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    dead...backordered @ $499.

5. aquavf

aquavf Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 26, 2012
    they just emailed me said they oversold and cancel my order

6. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Same, they punted--Must have been a price mistake.

7. aquavf

aquavf Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 26, 2012
    Below is the emAil i got from them. I wanted to tell them i can wait. But they rather cancel the order than giving me an option to wait for it. Maybe he meant panasonic will not make them anymore? ?

Dear *****, Please be advised that we were oversold on Panasonic DMC-G5 14-42mm Digital Camera. We had tried to get more cameras from Panasonic but they are on backorder. Therefore we will cancel and refund your order right away. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please do not reply to this email. This email address doesn't receive emails. Sincerely, Ben Dow

8. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    If you live in state that has consumer protection laws (e.g., Texas has a Deceptive Trade Practices Act) that prohibit "bait and switch" tactics, I would call them up, tell them they may have run afoul of state law and you are considering filing a complaint with the Attorney General of your state. Then ask what kind of deal they can give you on another Panny model (G3, GF5 etc.).

9. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Bummer!

To play devil's advocate remember that the G5 is suppose to start being kitted with the new 14-42. This was listed as a close out and may have been the last kits with the old 14-42. So once they ran out they really were out of this kit and had to cancel any additional errors.

As to consumer protection laws they don't apply to pricing errors or lack of stock. No one was doing bait and switch. They just cancelled orders they couldn't fill.

Give it a few more months and we will see G5s this cheap again.

Would be interested if anyone's order was filled.

10. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Hi, I also had my order cancel. Earlier I shared this summary with aquavf but thought it might contribute to the thread with so many others commenting.

Hi, I had the same thing happen this morning. I had ordered about 9:08 Eastern on Sunday morning and received an email with time stamped 9:08 confirming my order. In addition, I also saved my screen order page at Abe's as a pdf, a minute after the email arrived, which shows the item as "available." About eleven thirty Sunday morning a salesperson from Abe's phoned to up-sell me, asking if I would buy any accessories to accompany the camera. When I declined, saying I had two G3 bodies and a GX1, so I wouldn't need the add-ons, I was told the camera was out-of-stock and would have to be back-ordered. This morning, three days later, I received a call indicating my order would be cancelled as you did, so I asked for customer service and informed them I felt we had a contract for a then "available" item. The rep expressed sympathy and offered to speak with her supervisor who would call me if anything could be done. I've received no calls yet. Was your experience like this? Had you purchased from Abe's? We bought our first digital camera there in 1998, as well as other items over the years, including a $2000 Panasonic television package, which made me a little more upset to be treated this way. I wonder how many more of us experienced the same.

11. snaimpally

Dec 31, 2012
    You have to check your state laws as it varies. Besides, I am merely suggesting that you contact them and let them know they may be in violation and try to work out a deal. So whether they are in actual violation is not the point - its a negotiation strategy. Nothing beats calling up and talking to a live person and trying to negotiate a deal. Advertising an item as in stock when it is not and misleading many people is precisely what the consumer laws are trying to address.

For example, Section 17.46 of the Texas DTPA includes the following provisions:
    ... the term "false, misleading, or deceptive acts or practices" includes, but is not limited to, the following acts:
    (9) advertising goods or services with intent not to sell them as advertised;
    (10) advertising goods or services with intent not to supply a reasonable expectable public demand, unless the advertisements disclosed a limitation of quantity;

I would say that, in this situation, either or both of these may apply because the ad did not mention a limited quantity. Also, if the website is accessible to people in your state, e.g., you attempt to purchase the item in your state, then your state laws apply to the transaction (in legal terms, a state court has personal jurisdiction over the retailer).

In addition, as many have pointed out, when they ordered, the item was shown as being "in stock". In today's world of real-time inventory control, there is no excuse for them to show an item as in stock when in fact it is not. For most retailers, I can check whether an item I am ordering is in stock at a local store (e.g., Walmart, Frys, Office Depot, etc.) so they can have their website tie into their inventory management software.

I can certainly understand if a slight hiccup occurred and 1-2 people were affected, but it appears to be more of a pricing mistake that they tried to cover up. Just look at how many people on this forum have been affected. I'd be interested to if they magically get more in stock at the regular price in a few days.

12. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    This is a classic slimy sales tactic. I make it a general rule to cancel any order where someone calls me to sell me more things and to never deal with such a company again. I knew Abe's was a sloppy company but I didn't know they were one of the places that did sleazy up-selling calls. I think I may have bought some small things from them in the past, but I'll put them on my "no buy" list now.

Again, maybe the did have a stocking problem and their website inventory tracking stinks. But call to try to get you to buy more things is sleazy. And many places do use a low price to fish for suckers who will buy overpriced accessories and cancel all orders for those who don't.

Ah, I got it. Normally probably not a bad idea. I know some reputable places will often give a discount or a small store credit if you are subject to a pricing or stocking error and you call to complain.

In this case though based on the experience quoted above I'd just stop dealing with the company altogether. Post the experience and a low rating on reseller ratings or what not. Too many bad smells with this one.

13. snaimpally

Dec 31, 2012
  14. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I purchased a camcorder from them 2 years ago, but the camcorder I received is not brand new, it had user's setting with day/time, I've told it was for testing, witch I don't believed.., anyway I did return the camcorder witch I paid for the return shipping.

Never deal with them again.

15. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Why people still deal with these New York stores is beyond me

If you've ever seen these places (other than B&H) in real life, you'd run screaming away.