1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 £249

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Itchybiscuit, May 25, 2014.

1. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
  2. Justinio

Justinio Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2014
    I picked one up from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for £248. They are crazy cheap now, and easily offer the most bang for buck for anyone looking for a new camera at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Aye, I'm seriously tempted to sell my G2 and trade up to the G5. I'll see what my latest Ebay offerings sell for and make a decision in the first week of June. I think it's a goer though. :2thumbs:

4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I'd offer to buy your G2 from you, but I am in NY. the G5 sounds like a great upgrade deal for ya. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. alxdgr8

alxdgr8 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    I like my G5 a lot, picked it up last year for $250 new. They've been pretty cheap in the US for a while

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    Not to be too dis-respective of the G5, but try to get your hands on one before you buy. I bought one to replace my G1 and then sold it off and got a GH2. I'm sure there are a lot of fans for the G5 and it has some nice features like the electronic shutter, but it was too small for my taste and did not seem to have the build quality of other Lumix G-series bodies. Such a trivial thing as the neck strap attachment lugs bothered me. Anyway, I know there is a lot of subjective judgement involved here. I'm just saying, don't buy one blindly without some hands-on. If it's your cup of tea, then go for it. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Saw it, loved it, bought it. You're correct about the build quality but tbh, I bought it for the G2 upgrade factor, the price and my economic situation. I went the Currys route because it had a free 2 year no-quibble warranty. I'll be looking for an upgrade in 2 years 'cos the prices of the GH models will have dropped considerably - I might even get a GH3 for my kinda money. :2thumbs:

8. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I had a G5 and thought it had remarkable handling for a camera so small. When most people talk about "poor build quality" they're actually talking about their subjective impression of the low weight and plastic body, neither of which is an indication of poor quality! If the build quality is so poor, I'd expect to see many reports of them going wrong (which I haven't). Personally, I thought the size and weight were a marvel of clever engineering, but that's subjective too :smile:
    I think the G5 is an absolute bargain at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I agree. My agreement with regard to 'build quality' is entirely based on the casing compared to my G2. As for the rest of it, I'm delighted with my new camera and look forward to using it often. I'm already entirely impressed with the AF and the burst function - it makes my G2 look prehistoric in comparison! :wink:

10. BlackOakMo

BlackOakMo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Oxford Mississippi
    If your looking for a G2, I've got one state side. I love the camera but its not getting much use since I got a G3 and G5. neither of these camera feel nearly as good in the hand as the G2 but alas it still just sits on the shelf. It deserves a better home if your interested.

Sent from mobil device

11. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Just done the same deal :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    John lewis also have the g5 at £249 and you get the JL 2 year guarantee - G5 is the best bang for your bucks at the moment. I got mine for the viewfinder, but will still keep the GF1 as a pocketable alternative

• Like Like x 1
  13. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Aye, I got mine with the Currys two year warranty - an extra year at no extra charge specially for the G5.

Nice one PeeBee! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  14. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Currys give a 2 year warranty on all interchangeable lens cameras now. I got the same last year with my Canon (oops, the C word), but I had to send off a registration form. Now they just give it by default.

Coincidently, I still have 2 years warranty left on my G2 as that came with a 5 year warranty :eek:

Not had much chance to play with the G5 yet, but it looks like a worthwhile upgrade over the G2 in terms of speed, features and IQ. Yep, the controls aren't as nice as the G2's, but I'm sure I'll adapt.

I don't get to keep the G5 quite yet though since its a present from the wife and I have to wait :rolleyes: Oh well, gives me time to upgrade my Lightroom I suppose :wink:

:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    Re the WARRANTY (UK only)
    Please note that Panasonic currently gives a free two year Warranty upgrade with all new Lumix G (and other cameras and Camcorders) (subject to claim)
    Although you may be covered at Currys it would still be worthwhile raising a claim for an Official Panasonic 2 year Warranty -please go to:-
    http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  16. Justinio

Justinio Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2014
    It looks like that Panasonic warranty doesnt include the G5.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Apologies I thought the whole range was included in the Warranty Offer - looks like the Currys Warranty is very worthwhile !
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  18. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I suppose if they're discontinuing the G5 then it doesn't make sense for Panasonic to cover it for 2 years.

I'm happy enough with my Currys extended warranty. As I said, when the 2 years are up, I'll be looking to upgrade anyway... :thumbup:

19. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    In the meantime you have a very good camera with great features and ergonomics !
    I hope you enjoy it
    Don't forget to try the Touch Pad feature - it is seldom mentioned on Mu43 but is a superb feature that enables easy and precise focus selection
    Regards
    Rob