1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 love!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ramirez, May 9, 2012.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I am one of them who find the OM-D EM5 body a little bit on the expensive side... But I also wanted to update my m43 system with a newer camera body and get that new 16mpix sensor!

So I ordered the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 for a good price, I also got myself a spare battery (cause of the batterylife). Now I want to show my new camera body some love!

Here follows some unboxing pics...

• Like Like x 5
  2. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    The G3!

Here is the camera body itself!

• Like Like x 8
  3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    My dual setup...

One of the reasons why I wanted another camera body was to carry two cameras with me without the need to change lenses all the time... And I want to use my favorite two lenses; the Panny 14mm and the Oly 45mm. I actually like the Oly 45 on the white/silver G3 body... And the 14mm on the E-P2 makes a compact body.

I am gonna carry the E-P2, 14mm and VF-3 in my Olympus Wrapping case and the G3 in my little Lowepro bag...

• Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That is one sexy looking camera!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Some impressions about the G3

I really must say that I am impressed with the G3 coming from the E-P2... The focus speed... the IQ... The VF and the swivel screen. I am really gonna enjoy this camera body!

I haven't had time to test it much yet but the first impressions is all positive from my side.

Hopefully I don't find the need to get another m43 camera body in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Congrats. I like that color too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The G3 is a wonderful camera. FWIW there are things that I really like about the Panasonic cameras that the OMD doesn't offer (like the articulating LCD and a built-in flash) and when you consider that the G3 (and the GH2) have a very similar level of IQ the difference in cost becomes very difficult to ignore.

• Like Like x 4
  8. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    I recently got a G3 for exactly the same reason as Ramirez, the OM-D is just too expensive for me as I only want a back up camera. My main camera is an X100 but I also have a GF1 with the 20 & 45-200, the G3 with the kit 14-42 along with better IQ and higher ISO performance now gives me the full set. Due to our current bad weather I haven't done much shooting with the G3 but the results so far confirm that I made a good choice. And the icing on the cake was that Panasonic UK gave a £50 cash back.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    I already own one in black. Now, I want one in white.:) The white also goes nicely with the silver Olympus 45/1.8.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Nice new cam! That white and silver lens combo is so clean looking! Very nice!

And looks like your camera even came with a Twix! Yummy! :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Yes, it's clean looking indeed :smile:

The Twix came with the spare battery... one extra battery for the camera, one for the photographer...

• Like Like x 1
  12. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    I'm brown G3 user - it is great camera! I was thinking about E-M5 ut I think it is overpriced by now... I bough G3 to test it and compare to my Nikon D90 and what? Next month I will sell my whole Nikon system for Panasonic. Some of my shots are avaiable on my blog here: Micro Four Thirds | Facebook :) Now i take my camera almost everywhere because it is small and not so eye-catching as DSLR :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    More impressions...

I really love the custom settings on the mode dial, I never had it before on my Olympus bodies. The G3 have at least two; C1 and C2.
    I've noticed that it is so useful, to set up the camera for different kind of shoots easily on the mode dial. I love the custom settings on my G3 :smile:

14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    It's a pity they didn't make the plastic parts black. Then it would be even sexier than the famous Pentax 'Stormtrooper' camera aka white K-x.

15. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    It's a great camera, I love mine but not so sure I like the red now, wish I got a black one oh well.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  16. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Gratz dude!

I have mine coming cheap and un-used from a friend at the end of the month and am really looking forward to it too.

I like the fact that mine is the red one, the nearest I will ever get to a ferrari lol!

I think now I will keep my E-pl1 for use indoors and for back-up as no-one seems interested in buying it.

Good luck and have fun!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    It would definitely be great looking with black plastic parts on the white body. But the camera, with the silver plastic parts on the white body, is also stunningly looking with the Oly 45 silver lens attached; at least according to me.

18. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    You have four custom settings exactlu: C1, C2-1, C2-2 and C2-3 :)

19. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Yep, I've noticed that. That is great :smile:

20. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Almost a year since i bought mine, and yesterday received my first print i have had done from it.
    I used a lab called whitewall. Selected because they were the only ones i could find who would print the exact size i wanted. (a 30 x 7 inch)
    Blown away and highly delighted i am too.
    The quality of the print from the G3 surpassed my expectations.
    The print is a cropped version of this image. And at 30 inches long it looks great.

On Blencathra by Buster & Taz, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2