1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 now $1,297.99

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Jay_M, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    I have been in that same boat for some time now. My war chest has swelled to nearly £2000 after I managed to suppress the GAS on the GH5 and G9. It would have been more if I had not been buying accessories I think I need, but don't get the time to actually use (regularly).

2. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    On holiday with my FZ82. No problems. No lens swaps, no Close up supplementary lens. That is it.
    6B3C1761-B271-42CA-BF53-9831D14BB739.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. uswrdm02

uswrdm02 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2018
    Just purchased an Open box G9 from Samy's camera via ebay. $999 with regular panasonic Warranty.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The G9 body is now $200 less than a refurbished Olympus E-M1 II body on Oly's U.S. website. I have both cameras and there's nothing wrong with the G9. Different tools for different jobs. The Panasonic lenses work a tick better on the G9 and the Zuiko lenses work a tick better on the E-M1 II.

5. uswrdm02

uswrdm02 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2018
    Just bought an open-box G9 from Samy's via eBay, $999 wit regular panasonic Warranty, eBay ad said they have 3 more open box available

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jay_M

Jay_M Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    I don't believe the GX85 and G9 have the same AF. I'm also not sure if the GX85 is being updated through firmware. The G9 and GH5 are receiving another AF firmware update this month supposedly.

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Wait, where do you get 10 extra? Is that a promo somewhere?

NM: it's on the page itself that notes it. didn't see that.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  8. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    I paid $1365 US on release for my G9, back in January this year. Haven't regretted one single second of it.
    Paid $498 US for my brand new, local stock GX8 not long after it was released. Still have it too. I think I'm ahead :) 

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    US has the most ridiculous prices. Never seen anything like what you get over there in EU.

10. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Speedy must be a Panasonic employee and gets the discount.

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I actually appreciate the 'skimming model' as you describe it.

I don't think it creates consumerism at all. To the contrary, I think it slows down the natural market cycles. For those who absolutely gotta have the newest new thing, there's a higher price for them, which helps the companies recoup their R&D costs more quickly. For the rest of the product cycle - that can last years - there's a lower price that lets the same product attract a broader market. This means fewer new models need to be delivered at any given time to flesh out a complete product line-up. The "mid-range" model is just an older "high-end" model.

12. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    No. Introductory pricing combined with 20‰ off eBay sale for one, a crazy 2 day sale plus sales tax refund for the other Right place right time Pretty much all my gear is bought this way now. I'm patient Absolutely zero affiliation with Panasonic.

13. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Wow, that is amazing.

14. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    I was utterly convinced I was not going to upgrade to the G9. Look how that turned out. I would have got another 10% off it, but the wife wouldn't claim the tax back for me when she travelled outside the country.
    I've also managed to time sales & travel for a few of my lens purchases as well. Better in my pocket

15. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I think it depends on the consumer. I see a lot of 20 somethings going absolutely off the depend when it comes to consumer electronic purchases.

16. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    Some suggestions that the GH5s would get AI enhanced auto-focus like that promised for the coming Panasonic full frame bodies.

Little reason it couldn't also be rolled out to the GH5 and G9. Training up a machine learning algorithm can massive amounts of processor time, but running the resulting algorithms can often be done on weak processors.

Panasonic does not tend to release firmware feature updates for products that are going to be replaced any time soon. The fact that they're releasing feature updates at all suggests there are no near term replacement plans for any of those bodies.

As for the GX85 and G85/G80, Panasonic should really consider granting them firmware feature updates as well if they're not going to be replacing them with newer models. It's not surprising that the replacement cadence of their M43 products are lengthening. Not only because of engineering distractions of the full frames, but because the ILC market is shrinking.

Much cheaper to keep an existing product relevant with some firmware updates than engineer an entirely new hardware design.

17. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    It has nothing to do with ff distractions or a shrinking market.

All the manufactures are adopting one of 2 strategies.
    1. frequently release a new version that has minor improvements over the previous one (apple iphone like)
    2. release new versions less frequently with more substantial updates

This mostly comes down to the fact that with regards to sensor tech they are well into the realm of diminishing returns. When some completely new tech like organic senses make it to market then updates will be more substantial and more often.

18. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    A shrinking market absolutely tends to reduce product cadences. And the ILC market is absolutely shrinking.

Engineering resources are a limited commodity. Adding more engineers does not tend to scale well.

Logically, many of the hardware and software engineers Panasonic has previously used for M43 have now had their talents re-assigned to full frame.

Disagree? Read the Mythical Man-Month. A blunt summation, nine women can't have a baby in 1 month.

19. Jay_M

Jay_M Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    I am curious if Panasonic is able to add the "AI" to current cameras. My initial thoughts would be they probably don't have fast enough processors, but I really have no clue if that's true, or if Panasonic would rather just wait for the GH6 and the G9's successor (if there is one). I agree about needing to update the lower level models, but Panasonic might take the approach of you have to pay for the premium "pro" models to receive that kind of support.

20. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    I've read some Panasonic literature somewhere, that states that the G9 does already have self learning autofocus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.