1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 now $1,297.99

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Jay_M, Oct 15, 2018.

1. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

This camera's sales must be abysmal given these discounts. Surprising given the almost universally good reviews.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  2. HappyCamp

HappyCamp Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 14, 2018
    Good deal, especially on Amazon if you have the Amazon credit card as can get an extra 10% statement credit for a total of 15% statement credit. Works out to about $1,105 after the Amazon Visa statement credits.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL

it's Just another Panasonic sale, they have them several times a year across all their mft products.

look at the GH4,s pricing histor on amazon.
    PANASONIC LUMIX GH4 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 16 Megapixels, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DMC-GH4KBODY (USA Black) (B00I9GYG8O)

within the last year the GH4 has bounced between $1500 and $997, even dropping to $897 once.

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The G9 stock in Canada is low with the last sale, the price has actual gone up again. That’s a bummer since my wife wants one too.

5. ScottinPollock

Yeah but, correct me if I'm wrong, that's a 4 year old camera. I don't recall seeing such steep discounts within the first year. Maybe 10% or so like they occasionally do on the other models, but 24% within the first year seems unprecedented.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL

It all depends on sales (I mean the company department), marketing, inventory, industry news etc.

look at the 35-100 f/2.8 V2.
    Launched at $1100, and was on sale withing 6 months for $800 (~28%)
    Panasonic H-HSA35100 F2.8 II ASPH 35-100mm Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Mount POWER Optical I.S. LUMIX G X VARIO Professional Lens (B01MU3WOVP)

Now it bounces between $1000 and $1100.

G7 $800 at launch, went on sale within the first 6 months at $600 (~25%)
    PANASONIC LUMIX G7 4K Mirrorless Camera, with 14-42mm MEGA O.I.S. Lens, 16 Megapixels, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DMC-G7KK (USA BLACK) (B00X409PQS)

7. ScottinPollock

Ok... I'm wrong. (c;

• Like Like x 1
  8. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Lots of new competition in from Sony/Fuji, and those two other firms. Face it at the current price level for M43 committed users the G9 is a spectacular deal at these prices. I would be too shocked to see the price stay at this level. I might even for go the Gh5 I'm saving for and go for a G9.....fun time to be a photographer/videographer.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. ScottinPollock

Yup... I couldn't resist.

10. gwydionjhr

gwydionjhr Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2017
    I've said I'm going to wait until at least January to pull the trigger on something, I hope I don't regret it....

11. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    You will miss the holiday sales, so you will probably regret it!

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. JonSnih

JonSnih Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2017
    This is a skimming pricing model, for a long time it has been applied only by Sony in camera industry. It only accelerates the aging process (cycle) of a product and creates consumerism. I hate this approach because all early adopters are ripped off and the selling value on a second hand market drops very quickly.

Panasonic adopted the pricing model with the GX8 I guess (a new camera was for $1200, a 6-9month old one was $1000 already). As the prices of new advanced cameras go up the drop in price is more visible. There is almost no reason to buy it during a novelty period (6-12 months) if you're price sensitive (or just sensible enough).

Sadly even Olympus replicated the pricing approach with the E-M1.2 and the newest PRO lenses. And this is why Panasonic lately introduced "Pana-Leica" branded lenses to ask for premium.

Yes, we have more quality products in MFT land now but the prices very often dont fit the reality. This is sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mike G

Mike G Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    I got a £300 cash back on my G9, I've noticed in the past that you colonials over there tend to get money off, but us Brits tend to get cashbacks! not sure what happens in the rest of Europe!
    No doubt someone will advise me. :dance:

14. gwydionjhr

gwydionjhr Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Please call Olympus and ask them to announce the EM1MkIII before January.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I’d get one but I already have the EM1 II. :biggrin: Great deal, though.

16. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I would be tempted by a sub £950 G9. However, it is bigger and heavier than my GX80. The results from shooting with it dont really give me a need to buy it. When it was launched it came with a bayyery grip which I dont need, but must be worth something? Plus a P25 for «free ». Which I dont want as I already own one. Then the double discount at new year knocks more off the deal. With the new FF models, plus the quote to keep on with m43. There must be some new, better, improved model that may appeal to me, being released in the next 12 months. We shall see.

17. HappyCamp

HappyCamp Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 14, 2018
    At our local camera store they were doing "Panasonic Days". An extra $100 off the G9 to make it $1,199.99. Basically seemed like an extra $100 off cameras and $50 off some of the lenses.

This was at Pro Photo Supply in Portland, Oregon. Likely they do this at other stores around the country.

Panasonic-ProPhotoSale.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 2
  18. uswrdm02

uswrdm02 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2018
    I watched the AF video - Great!
    Is DFD somehow different on the G9 as compared to the GX85? I currently have a GX85 - would I be getting the same thing vis-a-vie AF if I bought a G9? Or are there other focusing enhancements? I don't do much in the way of high speed photography or birds in flight.

19. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    Interesting that the GH5 is holding it's value much better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.