1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic/ Lumix 45-150mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bigboysdad, Aug 27, 2014.

1. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I note that with my M43 lenses, the ability to post process raw files is greater with shots taken with certain lenses than with others, an example being the the oly 12mm and 17mm - I find there's more scope to edit edit raw shots taken with the 12mm than with the 17mm. The Pany 20 is also very good in this respect.

I am considering purchasing the 45mm-150mm - can any users of this lens advise advise as to the overall quality of the files produced through this lens and and the scope for manipulating these files in PS/ LR5? (Yes, I do realise that the camera plays a not insignificant part in this process!)

Thanks

2. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I think this is a very difficult question to answer. The lens is going to be generally responsible for sharpness, contrast, and bokeh. While the sensor is responsible for dynamic range and noise - these two won't vary between lenses, and are generally the most important parameters when talking about how much latitude a raw file has for processing.

There are a couple of situations where a lens could seem to give files that have less room to process, such as:
    1. A zoom lens being slower than a prime, so you need to bump the ISO in low light thus increasing noise and reducing dynamic range, again it isn't really isn't an optical issue here but a sensor issue.
    2. If a zoom lens is soft and requires more sharpening in post, you'll likely increase noise as well unless the sharpening is applied very carefully (done on a different layer in photoshop and then masked for example).

So, what specifically do you find from the lenses mentioned about that makes your raw files easier to edit? If you can narrow that down you'll probably get a more helpful response.

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I think the Pana 45-150 is an excellent lens, not that it's setting any DXO type records of any sort, but in my short time with it thus far I feel it delivers results far exceeding what I was expecting from a lens of such a price. The lens is obviously not without its limitations especially given its relatively slow aperture range, so while it may not be 'premium' or pro' grade....it is very capable of delivery sharp contrasty images which will give you ample room to tweak in post.

These were all shot as jpegs (first day out with the EM1 and forgot to turn on RAW) and put through LR and the NIK plugins.

14030880631_fdea097ef1_o. Flamenco Guitar3 [explored] by Livnius, on Flickr

14054080033_4d3bc94056_o. Flamenco Guitar2 by Livnius, on Flickr

14030877881_af6df195e6_o. Flamenco Guitar5 by Livnius, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Thanks for the replies, that's exactly what I was looking for. Truth be told, I only have primes and have always feared that using zooms would result in a reduction in image quality, but it was actually an earlier comment by Livnius in another thread that that drew my attention to this lens. For me, the 45-150 has been completely under the radar.

5. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I bought this lens brand new on ebay which was split from a kit for aroung £150. I condsider it to be a bargin, the images are sharp, it is well made and it's hardly bigger or heavier than the older 14-42 zoom lens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LeftyRodriguez

LeftyRodriguez Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Dallas
    Those are some awesome shots, Joe. Did you use Analog Efex 2?

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks.

Just LR using some VSCO stuff and possibly some NiK plugin stuff too.