1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7 versions?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ralf-11, May 27, 2019.

1. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 16, 2017
    What is the advantage of the II series redesign of the 20 mm f/1.7 Lumix lens over the original version?

20mm f1.7

2. None for consumers. Panasonic retooled it for ease of construction I suspect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 读来依然

读来依然 New to Mu-43

May 22, 2019
    反正我比较喜欢二代的金属饰皮。

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    A few reports comment that the vII has a different coating. But I don't think Panasonic has made an official statement one way or the other.

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    It has a slightly more premium look and feel, with more metal on the outside. I think that's the main difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 31, 2013
    They supposedly updated the AR coatings, I don't have the older one to test and compare.

7. 2donggalbi

2donggalbi Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Had the older one for about 8 years. My most used m43 lense. Bought the newer one last month.

The older one has a better front lense cap. The newer one has the same cap that came with the 14mm pancake, which is thinner. I miss the old lense cap.

I like the older one in my hand, the newer one has sharper edges. The newer one is still slow to focus. I don't find any other differences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jreed

jreed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2014
    I've had both... I bought the II version only because I like the all black color with my black Oly cameras. Otherwise, I think there is no advantage to it over the original...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AaronE

AaronE Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2013
    Idaho
    I have had the original since it came out. Has worked great on three different Olympus cameras. Looks great on the Pen-f.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Mike Peters
    Functionally identical, cosmetically different. Both great optically, and really slow to focus. I wish they'd make a version III with faster AF like 25mm f1.7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 16, 2017
  12. G3user

G3user Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2013
    UK
    The new version is 13% lighter (87g compared to 100g).

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.