Panasonic Low Light Issue for Product Photo

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SalManila, Oct 16, 2014.

1. SalManila

SalManila New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2014
    Foster City, CA
    Raphael Blanco
    Hey Guys,

I just started using my GH4 for product Photo(gaming computers) and I'm trying to take two pictures and cut them together. I take one photo lit properly and one under exposed to make the shadows and internal LEDs pop a little more. When I take the underexposed photo, I'm seeing pixels in the black shadows.

Is this a camera issue or am I just using the camera incorrectly? I am fairly new to product photography and Panasonic so if anyone can help me out, I'd gladly appreciate it.

ISO 200

Standard [​IMG]

The JPEG really sucks, but as you can see on the computer some pixels. In RAW, there's a whole bunch.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I might be completely wrong here but the metadata looks like the exposure has been pushed 2.45 stops?

If that is true it might just a reflection or something you can barely see coming up as noise in one area but not others as there isn't enough signal when pushed so far. Open the lens up a bit (I'd go for F/5.6 at the same duration and see how that works, it's a pretty good lens and I'd imagine it's sharper a bit closer to wide open than at F/11 and I suspect you wouldn't really need the DoF).

If the exposure wasn't pushed (I'm reading the metadata wrong), try doing a pixel mapping and see if that improves it (incase it's a stuck pixel or something).