1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Lenses - what's over the horizon?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by T N Args, May 3, 2014.

1. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    With the two new Leicas out of the way, Panasonic Lens design division seems to be a little underemployed?

What are they admitting to? A small 35-100 for the GM1? That's it?

Surely there must be more on their test benches right now.

Without trying to air your wish lists here..... what do you think they are actually up to?

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yes, I think that the above 1-day-old 43rumors post draws on this 6-month-old egami post. But I seriously wonder if there is any connection between patent lodgements like this, and intention to produce. Why lodge a new patent for a 25mm f/1.4? Is the important point being patented actually some design principle (I don't know enough about lens design), and simply shows how it might apply to a number of focal lengths?

The 43rumors post seems, 6 months too late, to have cherry-picked 3 of the 6 lenses in the patent. OK, fair enough. But I don't know what the patent is actually claiming - is it a simple 2-group design, maybe reduced cost? I don't know.

Still, information is so scarce, anything is worth looking at.

cheers

4. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    If Olympus thinks there is enough of a market for a high end super telephoto to announce a 300mm f4 Panasonic could be thinking the same thing. It would not be surprising if they announced a competitive design before Olympus lens becomes available.

A Panasonic version would have OIS and it would make sense for them to offer something besides another 300mm f4. They could offer a xxx-400mm f5.6 zoom, a 400mm f5.6 prime or a 300mm f4 prime with a high quality 1.4 tele-converter as an accessory.

I do not think there is much of a market for a 5+ pound, $5000+ pro wildlife lens that you can buy for SLRs. With lenses that big you lose the size advantage of m43 and could buy a SLR body without raising the total price of the lens/camera package too much.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    At this point about the only thing that will wrestle any money away from me will be the first company that comes up with an 300 F4 prime lens.

• Like Like x 2
  6. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    100mm f2 sounds like a serious bokeh machine. Could be quite good for portraits and nature. Though it will likely be as large and close to as expensive as the Oly 40-150 2.8.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I don't know what they could still make that there would be a significant market for. If you ask me, I think there is room for a bright zoom, f2.8-4, that is priced between the kit zooms and the pricey constant 2.8 zooms.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Panasonic's longest prime is the 45mm. Perhaps tackling a 68mm next for the 135mm equivalent?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    All of those lenses sound good. A 100/2 would be great! But what still confuses me is that neither Panasonic nor Olympus has made any thing between the 25 and 42mm range. In the past, sure, you might be fine with a 50mm and an 85mm on your 35mm camera, but isn't there a time when 85 was as bit long and 50 was too short? Maybe I'm wrong but I like the FL of the Sigma 30 but I wish it were a 1.8.

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    A fast 100mm would be nice - depending on price I would be interested.

11. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    What confuses *me* is that Panasonic have had a lens roadmap in the past, but as of now the lenses on the map have almost all been released, except for a compact 35-100 for the GM1, and now we are left staring at an official blank wall.

It's not like they are Canon or Nikon, whose lens systems are essentially complete, and don't need a roadmap. The Panasonic range has GAPS! Fuji and Sony have gaps and provide a lens roadmap, why not Panasonic?

12. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    The lens releases have been a bit lacking from Panasonic. It has been over 2 years since the 35-100 was announced and since then we have the 2 GM1 lenses, an updated 10x zoom and the cosmetic change to the 20mm. Also, the 150mm f2.8 was dropped from the roadmap.

I hope Panasonic has something planned for Photokina this fall. The Olympus 300mm f4 is the only planned lens that currently interests me.

13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    You're forgetting the best lens in the system in the Nocticron as well as the 15 (or do you call that one of the GM1 lenses?)

14. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I'd like to see either a fast prime 200 or 300, or a better zoom that covers the range. Weathersealed OIS, and fastest aperture that can keep prices under $1000.

15. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yes, but the roadmap only went to the end of 2014. Dropping it from that roadmap only means, technically, they don't plan to release it by the end of 2014.

They must have known that it is a confusing thing to do, and could have made a clarification with no harm to the company or its secrets, IMHO.

16. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Someone make a 400 F2.8 already!!! Or even a 500 F4...

Z...

17. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I think one of those will make the Nocticron price seem outright puny! ;)

18. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

And yet, very reasonable in both size and price if compared to an EF 400mm F2.8...

And a downright bargain compared to an EF 800 F5.6 (about AU$14k here!!!)
    Z...

19. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Why should it be any cheaper than an EF 400mm f/2.8? ($11,500)

Same length, same front optic size, same quality.... same price!

20. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    as of now I don't really want or wish for another lens but what would be nice for first time buyers would be a pancake f2.8-4 kit lens

yeah I'm daydreaming but that would be nice!