Panasonic lens on olympus body?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ianharvey123, Apr 29, 2014.

1. ianharvey123

ianharvey123 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2014

I'm palnning on buying an olympus epl5 and a family member of mine all ready has panasonic lenses and I was wondering if I can use his lenses on my camera?Would there be any problems?

• Like Like x 1
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Other than the 7-14, which has a tendency to flare on the newer 16mp Olympus bodies (sometimes quite badly), nope, no problem.
  3. BigStreetGuns

BigStreetGuns Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    Well there is one minor problem: aperture clatter. The aperture on my Panasonic 25/1.4 (mounted on Oly E-M10) clatters when the camera is pointed at a bright light source after being exposed to darkness. The typical scenario is when you are shooting inside the house and you point the camera out of the window. At that moment things get pretty loud.

But other than that my Pana works great on my Oly.
  4. ianharvey123

ianharvey123 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2014
    so there are no major problems which would completely change the photos?
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    No major problems. That's the point of the m4/3 system - with minor exceptions, lenses and cameras from different vendors work fine together.
  6. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    No major problems at all. The issues cited above are minor inconveniences most users wouldn't notice.
  7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm going to be contrarian and say the purple flare on the 7-14 will completely change your photos. Sorry :frown: But other than that you are fine :smile:
  8. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Panasonic 25 f1.4 and 35-100 f2.8 are my favourite m43 lenses with my M1.

I only wish I had bought the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 instead of the flimsy and bulky Olympus 12-40 f2.8.
  9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'll be a counter-contrarian and say that I find the same flare (and absence of flare) issues on the GX1 and G5 as on the EM-5 and EM-1.

Is the Panasonic 20/1.7 subject to banding on some Oly bodies? I may be remembering that incorrectly, never owned or used one.
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    All of my Panasonic lenses work perfectly on all my Olympus bodies.
  11. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I thought that both Oly and Pana cameras fixed CA and distortion (for jpeg) only for lenses of the same brand, it this correct?
  12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    We need an FAQ somewhere. Distortion is always corrected (and by the same amount) for any m4/3 lens on any m4/3 body.

On Panasonic bodies, CA is only corrected on Panasonic lenses. On older Olympus bodies, CA is never corrected. On the E-M1 and newer bodies, CA is corrected on Olympus lenses and it appears on Panasonic lenses as well (though this isn't officially mentioned).
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    CA on JPEGs taken with the O45 is corrected on my GX7.
  14. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I'm finding that I have to us LR to fix CA on my Pany 14mm on an EP5. No big deal but in high contrast situations there is significant purple fringe. But it is easily fixed in LR and Photoshop.