Panasonic lens firmware update with Olympus body

fsi22

Mu-43 Regular
I tried to do that with my Lumix 12-32 lens using the latest version of Olympus Digital Camera Updater. It seems I corrupted the lens in some way during the process. I put the lens on the camera today and it locks up with a black screen as though the lens cap was on. The mode dial also locks on what ever setting you leave it in before you mount the lens.

I looked around on various internet sites and it seems to have happened to numerous others. Panasonic says it is because of the Olympus method which downloads the firmware as it is doing the update. Thus if a malfunction occurs during the download the firmware may be corrupted. I might have caused the problem myself ....not sure.

I assume there is no good news on this subject, like a way to reload the firmware. I tried and nothing happens. One thing I can be happy about is it did not happen to my Panasonic 8-18 at about $1000 new when I bought it

Thanks, Jim
My PL200 update failed, lens was bricked. Contact Panasonic, I was given the runaround for 2 months (Panasonic Australia), but they did fix it in the end. They reload the firmware on their end. After my experience with Panasonic service here, I would never buy another product of theirs, even though the PL200, is the most amazing lens I’ve ever used.

Edit - My update failure was caused by Windows Photos taking over camera, halfway through update.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Question, can you update an Olympus body without a lens on?
Just curious, as reading this thread has made me happy that I decided to get the Oly 17mm pancake to match the Pen-F.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Question, can you update an Olympus body without a lens on?
Just curious, as reading this thread has made me happy that I decided to get the Oly 17mm pancake to match the Pen-F.
Yes. And it doesn't matter if you have a card in the camera or not.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The official instructions say to remove the card/cards during updates.
I have never seen that and have believed it to be just a story that gets repeated. Do you have a link?

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
The official instructions say to remove the card/cards during updates.

I have never seen that and have believed it to be just a story that gets repeated. Do you have a link?
It's on the Olympus Japan (English) web site.

If you can't find it, remind me tomorrow, please.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Here is the page you are probably referring to, like the other pages it has nothing about taking out the card. I believe it is a myth that keeps being repeated. I have done dozens of updates on various different cameras with the card in.
https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/qa/contents/ow/ow_a2.cfm
"Caution:
  • - Log on to your computer using an account with Administrator privileges.
  • - Connect the computer to the Internet. Olympus recommends using a hard-wired connection, if available, to limit the risk of service interruption during the firmware update. A wireless connection may also be used.
  • - Make sure the camera has sufficient power to complete the operation. Use freshly charged batteries or the optional AC adapter. (Adapter not available for all models.)
  • - Remove the memory card from the digital camera."
I think you missed this part from the page you found ...

Doesn't look like a myth to me ...

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
I have also seen a suggestion to use a USB2 port rather than USB3, and not one daisy chained through a hub.
I have had few problems until just recently, when it found the camera, worked out the update needed, got the download, started preparing the update and then lost comms with the camera. Failed several times , but camera was still OK. Ran the same program on my laptop and worked first time.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I have also seen a suggestion to use a USB2 port rather than USB3, and not one daisy chained through a hub.
I have had few problems until just recently, when it found the camera, worked out the update needed, got the download, started preparing the update and then lost comms with the camera. Failed several times , but camera was still OK. Ran the same program on my laptop and worked first time.
USB3 is fine, but never use any kind of external USB port or hub. Only use ports connected directly to the motherboard.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom