1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Lens correction metadata question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by pellicle, Sep 13, 2013.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

just wondering, is this something that is coded into the lens or into the camera body? I'm assuming its in the lens and that sends the data to the camera to then either be applied to the JPG or stored in the RAW.

Reason I ask is that I've just bought the 14-42 series II lens which makes the first lens I have that's newer than my newest G series camera (GH1 and GF1).

I'm curious to know if the GF1 will be able to apply those lens corrections or if I'll need to update its firmware ??

Thanks

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The u4/3 standard include optical distortion correction. The data is sent to the camera by the lens. Panasonic lenses also send chromatic aberration correction data to Panasonic cameras. Panasonic cameras do not correct CA in Olympus lenses.

The upcoming E-M1 from Olympus will contain a database to correct CA and apply custom sharpening (jpeg only) to Olympus lenses only.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

So I guess that is a yes ... my GF1 (a Panasonic camera) will be fine with the new 14-42 series ii (a Panasonic lens) without any need to update the camera

:)

4. Cornelius

Cornelius Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    That sucks. I notice a lot of CA when using the Panny 100-300 with my em5. I thought Panasonic and Olympus were in this together.