1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic-Leica Summilux 12mm f1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jcm5, Jun 15, 2016.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    There's already a 4+ page thread here (although it is in the "rumors" section, and should really be in the native lens section now that it's been announced). @barry13@barry13, any way to move the PL12 thread from the rumors sub-forum to the native lenses sub-forum?

As for what I think, at $600 more than the Olympus 12mm f/2, it's a difficult sale. The aperture ring does nothing for me (I have a PL15 and find it far to easy to accidently knock out-of-place), and would much prefer a manual focus snap ring like the Olympus. The corners are much better than the Olympus, as is the bokeh quality. Close focus distance is impressive, and when paired with the f/1.4 aperture can really generate some shallow, wide-angle DoF. Size and weight isn't a concern IMO. Weather sealing is a nice addition. But at $1300, I'm gonna have to pass. This lens certainly has a purpose (and would likely be great for a wedding photog to pair with the Nocitcron, allowing for some great WA shots from inside dimly-lit venues), but it doesn't really appeal to me for what I like to shoot.

I view this lens just like I view the Nocticron: It's a great lens to have in the m43 arsenal, as I find this to be a professional-quality lens (although if they included weather sealing on this, why not on the Noctircron?). It's not for everybody, but it will definitely fill a gap for certain individuals.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    The hood seems reversible shape/size wise. If true, it would be a big plus. None of the other PL lenses has reversible hood.

4. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Oops, sorry I didn't check the rumors section figuring it would have been discussed here.

5. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The Nocticron's hood isn't reversible? I thought that it was, and you just tightened the thumbscrew. The PL25's is obnoxiously large, and while the PL15's doesn't reverse, it doesn't really matter because it's so tiny. In fact, I've adapted my PL15 & PL25 with 58mm step-up rings to share filters with my other lenses, and the step-up rings just live on the lenses.

6. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah no worries, that's why I asked Barry if he could move that thread over here, now that it is not longer a rumor but an announced native lens for the system.

7. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    I double checked again, and you are right. The Noct hood is reversible :2thumbs:, but very tight fit.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

It's alright mate, this thread is heaps betterer... Nary a filthy Fuji comparison in sight... :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If you'd like, I could start one? Haha.

But seriously, this lens will be judged against Fuji 16mm f/1.4, as well as Canon 24mm f/1.4 L and 24mm f/2.8 (probably by the equivalence junkies over on DPR). Personally, I'm interested to see how the PL12 stacks up against the Fuji 16, because Fuji regularly receives praise for the quality of their optics. Plus, they're pretty darn close in size too...

10. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    The Nocticron hood gets very sticky and it leaves a sticky residue on the lens barrel that is a PITA to remove - and it will continue to pick up this sticky residue. LOVE this len's but absolutely HATE the sticking hood - badly flawed design IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1