1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Leica Nocticron Hands On Coverage Around the Web

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A number of websites have gotten some hands on time with a pre-production Nocticron, which was arguably the most interesting bit of photo gear featured at CES this year.

As always, 1001 Noisy Cameras has a great roundup*. Check it out here: http://www.1001noisycameras.com/201...pleted-review-samples-some-raw-and-hands.html

*I've long suspected that 1001 Noisy is the source for roundups on most of the other sites which present such roundups.

• Like Like x 9
  2. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    phoblographer has the most compelling images, thus far, of bokeh, at least, I guess we can throw quesabesde too with RAW files

3. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the heads-up Amin.

It's appears to be a beautiful lens, but man is it a lot of money! I think for me, instead of it, i'll hang onto my OLY 45 and perhaps invest in the stellar OLY 75... Yeah, that's what I'm going to do!

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Amin
    Thanks for those links but Panasonic has missed the point totally . I don't understand the price rationale . USD 1699 for this lens is insane and u don't get any major advantage over legendary Oly 45 mm 1.8 except one stop .I have failed to understand why Panasonic lenses are always more expensive than Olympus and particularly primes . Look at superb Oly 75 mm 1.8 and price tag, I am sure Panasonic version of 75 mm 1.8 would have been around USD1999 mark. I am not ready to shell out AUD1899 for this lens even if I have truck load of money at my disposal .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    In all fairness Bhupinder, if you're assuming that this lens is targeted at Oly 45/1.8 users then perhaps it is you who has missed the point, respectfully. If anything I suspect Panasonic may have one eye cast on the larger-sensor/ pro shooter market and is hoping to get their attention....along with of course existing m43 shooters who simply are not interested in the manual focus Noktons and who perhaps do not feel that an f1.8 is fast enough for a 'portrait' lens given the realities of the size of the m43 sensor.

As soon as you break the f1.4 barrier, the price hike is huge....any lens, any system....just take a look.
    Panasonic, like every other camera/lens manufacturer knows that whilst most people are happy enough with an f2 or f1.8 prime, there are many who really want an f1.4, and then there is that small number who REALLY want something even faster and a little more exotic. F1.2 and faster lenses have generally never been 'mass sales' lenses...they are an exotic, often optically imperfect at the wide end, undoubtably bigger, heavier, and of course...more costly than their slower smaller aperture siblings. Fortunately for us m43 shooters...the Nocticron looks to be a stunning performer even wide open, will be able to take full advantage of the blistering AF speed of our m43 cameras, has OIS for those that require it, has a premium all metal build, is small for what it is and according to Lenstip...is showing chart results that even out score the the Oly 75mm !!!

This is an important lens for the format...and it looks as though no expense has been spared....a lot of really fine glass has gone into this thing.

All that said....I imagine 9 out of 10 shooters will neither want nor need it.....but for that 1 in 10 that wants it....will REALLY want it.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Joe
    Thanks a lot . I think I get it now but it's bloody so expensive .Can we do bulk purchasing for our members from Panasonic at discounted price ? :biggrin:
    Cheers

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I have friends going to Japan in March...should be a saving of a couple hundred bucks buying in Tokyo rather than at Teds Cameras on Elizabeth St ;)

8. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    It really isn't as f1.2 lenses cost a lot of money to make. If Olympus had made this lens instead of Panasonic-Leica, they will in all probability have to sell it for around this price. Just take a look at the Canon example. You have the 85/1.8 which is a very fine lens and every bit as good or better than the Oly 45/1.8 lens, currently priced at $420. And then you have the Canon 85/1.2 which sells for $2,200 or 5x more! I would rather have a Leica-branded (albeit not a true Leica) f1.2 lens for 4x more than a Canon-branded obese lens that sells for 5x the price of the f1.8 version. Throw in ultra-quick AF, image stabilization, and extreme sharpness wide open (at least in the center) and you have the world' finest 85/1.2 portrait lens.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I just checked B&H. If you ignore crop factor, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L is about the same price as the PanaLeica, but doesn't include OIS. So $1600 is a lot of money, but it's not outside existing prices.

10. wesmeno0996@yahoo.co.uk

wesmeno0996@yahoo.co.uk Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 10, 2014
    I'm just getting into m43 this wk after using canon for years then changed to Nikon mid last year. After having a good play with a GH3 I fell in love the fact they already have great lenses such as the 25mm 1.4 and the 45mm macro but are still looking at adding these type lenses as just confirmed that this is the way forward the new 42.3mm f1.2 is not a lens that I'd use much but I know within a couple month I will own one just hope Lumix keeps expanding its lens range a nice Leica large focal length would be nice

11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Glad to see you're enjoying things. Got to say though, you know Olympus, Sigma (AF), Samyang, Voigtlander (MF) make great lenses that work fine on Panasonic bodies also...

12. wesmeno0996@yahoo.co.uk

Jan 10, 2014
    Yeah iv got my eye on the samyang fisheye debating weather to spend the extra for the Panasonic 8mm will have to weigh it up

13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

By all accounts the Samyang has better IQ than the Panasonic. The only drawback is that it's MF, but with a fisheye that's not really a problem - it's quite easy to just leave it at hyperfocal.

14. wesmeno0996@yahoo.co.uk

Jan 10, 2014
    Cheers mate it's a decent price. Aswell so win win really

15. stephen.s1

stephen.s1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2012
    CT, USA
    From what I've seen, and read about this lens. I think it's worth every penny of the asking price... Yep, my money is where my mouth is... B&H.. now waiting for it to be un-backordered.

While I was at it, having sold my M9, there's a new OLY 150mm f/2 4/3 and adapter on the way.. expected Monday.

16. Jimwest

Jimwest New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2014
  17. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    How to justify buying the Lumix/Leica Nocticron 42.5mm f1.2 —*what will be my most expensive new lens ever? Easy.
    • The reviews thus far are most laudatory.
    • It is not as expensive as I anticipated. I was expecting it to be $300-400 more. And when it was announced last year, I promised my wife [who has tolerated four decades of photographic purchases] a revved-up Macbook Air for Christmas, on condition that I could splurge a similar amount on the Nocticron when it surfaced.
    • I am an unrepentant speed freak, owning a Nokton 25mm f0.95, the P/L 25mm f1.4, a Nokton 50mm f1.1,and the O 75mm f1.8.
    • However, to raise most of the dough I am selling on eBay, as of this week: a Vivitar 2x tele-convertor for OM lenses; SIgma "Pantel" 135mm f2.8 [also f64] in Konica mount; Olympus 4/3 11-22mm f2.8-3.5; and the aforementioned Nokton 50mm, f1.1, with a B&W UV filter. This will rationalise my lens line-up somewhat. It is a wrench to sell the Nokton 50 f1.1 — it is a fabulous optic, ten-bladed bokeh, short 90º focus turn from 1m to ∞. Its only real limitation is that 1m closest focus. And I can use it on all my bodies — GH-2, OM-D and M3. However, the Nocticron will fit that focal niche and be just f0.1 slower.
    • I had considered buying the Voigtalander Nokton 42.5mm f0.95, being already a worshiper of my Nokton 25mm f0.95. However, because the Nocticron has Mega-OIS and AF, I have veered towards the mega-bucks solution, and hoped for greater ease of use.
    • I am fully satisfied with the performance of my two Lumix/Leica lenses —*25mm f1.4 and 45mm f2.8 Macro-Elmarit — and I can only presume the Nocticron will be even better — should be at twice the price when the macro was new.
    • And finally, though this may seem an odd justification for such a pricey purchase, I already have 67mm filters for my Lx 100-300 [my only zoom] — B&W UV and CP, and a variable ND. The ND should be very useful for daytime use of the Nocticron if one is using the full aperture for effect.
    So, to all other intending purchasers, I wish you an exciting future. Use this as an opportunity to cast off some less-valued gear and even some treasures! Enjoy... when it finally happens.
    Life is short. Let us continue to explore.

• Like Like x 2
  18. BobbyTan

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Sweet! You should pick up a TC too … the 1.4x and/or 2.0x.

19. BobbyTan

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
  20. stephen.s1

stephen.s1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2012
    CT, USA
    B&H has my order.. Like you, I'm thinking, soon hopefully.