Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f1.4 ASPH available here for $589

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Shield, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    Ok, so I like this site a lot; I find I'm coming here just about every day. I wanted to wait until my new lens was "on the way" before posting this. But I'm all about spreading the love.

My quest for the 25mm Summilux F 1.4 ended this week. I was very fed up with ebay (Japan only, and $100-$150 over retail) and none of the major players having them in stock.

I forget which website I was on, but I found a site in Canada that has them *IN STOCK*. I called and spoke to a guy there and he said he was looking at 10-15 of them on the shelf.

The place is in Canada, eh. But that's just fine with me. Price= $589 Canadian plus shipping, which is about $600 U.S. Right around retail.

Anyway, enjoy guys. Good luck!

Aden Camera

:2thumbs::smile:

Shawn - Helping Micro thirds forum members clean out their wallet since July 2011 (tm)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    Also, they shipped mine out the same day and sent me a Canadian post tracking information. I ordered mine Tuesday afternoon and by tonight (Thursday) it shows "2011/09/01 05:30 International shipment has arrived in the destination country"

:)

This may not be as popular as the $379 GF2 + 14mm thread, but I try.

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Here in Calgary, Canada, I went by 3 shops yesterday and they all had it in stock for under $600 , and found two stores had e-p3 and E-Pl3 in stock as well. No oly 45mm until next week though.

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Wow, lucky Canadians! :)

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    It's not that were so lucky, there just aren't as many m43 shooters up here, so stock doesn't fly off the shelves like it does south of the border. The only other m4/3 shooter I've seen, is the guy who bought my e-pl1.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Strangely, over here in the US, all the big shops still list the PL25 as pre-orders, as if they haven't received any yet.

7. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    My wife just called, and my Summilux has been delivered! :)

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very tempted on this...can't decide!

9. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Aden is probably my favourite supplier. Their prices are the lowest (more often than not) and if you check online from time to time, they'll have good sale prices. :thumbup:

10. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    Just a data point - I got charged $19.xx by my Visa for a "foreign transaction fee". :frown:

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    That is either a fee for conversion of currency or more likely a new charge they have come up with to offset how often they have to pay out on fraudulent international transactions. On a $600 purchase it's not the end of the world, but if that had been a $180 lens, I'd be pretty upset.

12. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Credit card companies are the worst bloodsuckers... :mad:

13. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Well I made the plunge and ordered this lens last week and it arrived today. Boy, I'm sure looking forward to running it through its paces next week in New Orleans :thumbup:

14. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    those fees and the international shipping fee is only thing keeping me from ordering the lens myself.

15. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    That's what made me wait until I could buy locally. I was going to order from Adorama, as I have 2 $30 coupons I was given from my last transaction with them due to errors they made. But their shipping and brokerage fees because they only ship UPS was going to cost about $100 and even with the coupons it was cheaper to buy local, and it seems I got it quicker to boot.

16. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

I wonder if the "international transaction fees" are specific to your credit card? I've never been charged that fee as a Canadian buying (lots of) stuff in the U.S. Regardless, I would call the credit card company and get them to waive the fee. It'll be easier to do that if you tell them you're considering getting another card that doesn't charge the fee.

While you are doing that, check the $Can exchange rates. For 40 years the Canadian dollar was valued anywhere from 65 to 92 U.S. cents. Now, the U.S. dollar has devalued to the point that the it'll cost you upwards of $1.02 to $1.06. The rate has been fluctuating quite a bit of late.

Finally, don't forget to factor in duties and taxes. I'm not sure how that's handle by U.S. customs.

As far as shipping goes, ground shipping via the postal service is pretty reasonable.

17. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I ordered mine thru Kenmore Camera for $529 about 2 weeks ago.

Oops...just checked and they are on backorder there too.