1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 Now Available for Pre-Order

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by napilopez, Mar 24, 2014.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Nocticron has a nearly perfect chart! But yes the 15mm is very good. Of coarse the chart cannot give the whole picture. Waiting to see some more and better samples from the 15mm but I am very impressed so far.

Several people have said they have little or no clue to reading an MTF chart. Rather than me try and explain I have given two excellent links to help you understand them.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-mtf.shtml

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/lens-quality-mtf-resolution.htm

MTFs represent the full image circle but the sensor size is always smaller. In the 15mm MTF the image size is 22mm in diameter{the chart shows half from center to the edge}. A m4/3 sensor is 17.3mm by 13mm, using the larger dimension of 17.3mm and splitting it in half we get 8.65mm. If you look at the MTF at that point there is just a tiny bit of a downward curve and the sagital and meridonial lines for each line per inch size are super close to each other. This lens should be very sharp with good bokeh.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Microman

Microman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Hm, I just purchased a used 12mm f/2 (for about half the retail price) and just now I read about the Panasonic 15mm. There's big difference between the field of view of a 24mm and a 30mm equivalent of course. You can't really compare them. I might give the Panasonic 15mm a try though.

3. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Amazon has their link up too!

Just pre-ordered the black one! :smile:

4. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    True. The 24mm is great as a w/a lens but the 35mm FL is slightly better as a general/walkaround lens and if you don't own a standard lens. For the longest time I could not decide between the Canon 24/1.4 and 35/1.4 as they are both excellent lenses for environmental portraits. I ended up not buying either one of them and just stuck to my w/a zoom instead. I was faced with the same dilemma with the 12/2 vs 17/1.8 … but it was easier making a decision here - I got the 17/1.8 as it was significantly less expensive especially when they ran the rebate program.

But as good as the 17/1.8 and 12/2 lenses are, I believe the Summilux 15 is a better lens … and also cheaper than the 12/2, so I pre-ordered it!

The nice thing about a fast prime (compared to the 12-40/2.8) is its ability to isolate the background when used for environmental portraits. I am already considering selling my 12-40 and PL 25/1.4 as I think the Summilux and Nocticron can do a better job overall. I will definitely get the 7-14/2.8 to replace my Lumix 7-14/4 when it comes out next year.

5. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    Does anyone with a 20mm think this could fit into their kit?

I love my 20mm, but would really like to replace my 14mm, I just don't know if 30mm and 40mm are too close....? I could consider swapping the 20mm for a 25mm but I don't think I could part with it!

Anyone in the same boat?

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Ish. Except I don't use my 20 much because it's so slow, so swapping the 14 and 20 for 15 and 25 is tempting.

7. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    I hate to complain about the price of this lens, because they are relatively inexpensive compared to DSLRs, but why must it be 600! I know why, it's awesome.

8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It's hard to complain about price when the option is there for the 14/2.5 for half the price.

9. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2013
    For the same reason that there are differently priced lenses on other systems - you are paying for higher quality optics. :) 
    If it is built well, has great optics, focuses fast, then it will justify it's price. But let's wait and see.

This is a personal opinion and not targetted at you specifically. I'm saying this in the general sense. But...
    I look at the m43 system today as being mature enough to stand on it's own toe to toe against any other format as a valid real world option for the majority of photography work and majority of print sizes people undertake.

A mature system should have a range of lenses in different overlapping focal lengths with different optical qualities and different price brackets, from mainstream to niche.
    I've no problem with higher priced lenses within the m43 ecosystem that justify themselves both in terms of optics and build. Of course I want to have my cake and eat it too, but that is where the Oly45 and Oly25 fit in ;)  But if I want that extra special rendering lens like the Nocticron, Oly 75, PL25, then I am happy to pay for them. I'm aware that money does not grow on trees but these are bargains given what they can achieve in terms of optics and build.

It may simply be a mental barrier , or even possibly underdog syndrome, but many people complain when a m43 lens is priced above 500 dollars. We need to stop looking at the system as a whole as being a 'cheaper alternative' to the 35mm small, 120mm medium and APS-C formats etc... and just look at it as a system unto it's own that has it's own look and feel and with good lenses and bad lenses.
    The PL15mm is actually good for the system as a whole if it justifies it's costs.

Just my 0.02

Tom.

• Like Like x 5
  10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Exactly right Tom.

11. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Exactly! This is the point I've continually said about M4/3, that its advantage lies primarily in its versatility. It's crazy to think I can shoot with my E-M5 and the Nocticron as a "large" setup or use my girlfriend's E-PM2 + 45mm f1.8 If I want to travel light, all within the same system.

The difference between M4/3 and other systems though is that despite the fact that the former setup costs about 3 times as much as the cheaper option, the latter one will give you very similar image quality in many scenarios.

M4/3 has very few "bad" lenses. The only system that can match it in availability of quality options is Fuji, but then they don't have the diversity in size and price that M4/3 has.

12. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Price in Japan is 54400 yen that roughly 390euros. Its release date seems to be 15 may 2014...

13. MCMLXXIII AD

MCMLXXIII AD Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    London
    Mahesh
    How much would you think in the real world use, i.e. family portraits, walkaround, etc. 42.5 make difference than 45/1.8? I am debating with myself which one to keep.
    One is obviously the best and the other much better in compactness while still holding its own.

14. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    My current native MFT setup is a 20 and 45. I've pre-ordered the 15. I'm not currently planning on selling the 20mm but I do see it being displaced in the duo for "serious" photography. The 20 has always been ever so slightly too long for my preferences as a primary lens but its size is a huge plus. I see using the 15/45 when going out to shoot. I see using just the 20 when going out to dinner. Just slot the great 20 into a slightly different roll because of its size.

15. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Sam!

Yeah, I have a seat in the boat.

The size/weight of the 14/20/45 prime combination I have right now is just about perfect for me and I'm reluctant to mess with something that works.

Moving to a 15/25/45 setup would add cost and mass...and I really like the two Panasonic pancakes.

It's always tempting to try to up the image quality - but I've chased that elusive butterfly before :biggrin:. I'll be looking forward to photos taken with the new lens by photographers who have deeper pockets, longer arms, and more talent than I - but for now my personal "holy trinity" will remain the 14/20/45.

(What I need is a native M4/3 200mm f/4.0 or f/2.8 prime lens - and what the manufacturers keep releasing is on the wide/normal/short telephoto lens. It would maybe kill them to give up a reasonably priced longer telephoto???)

Size comparison with 14mm and 15mm lenses mounted on an E-M5:

http://j.mp/1l7lHbb

Regards,

Jim

16. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

I too like the focal length. My 20/1.7, wonderful as it is, is a tad too tight at times. Be interesting to learn a bit more about this lens when it's done the rounds.

17. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    See I don't really mind mass, I have a big rucksack. Cost, is an issue but I guess if I plan now I can save for it quite easily.

The 14 is the only lens in my kit that i'm not 100% happy with, I do love the angle of view and it is amazing for the cost but it's the only lens I own where I notice significant flaw.

I'm basically trying to convince myself I need it!

Your post seems to have changed me from maybe wanting it, to really wanting it! I think it was the size comparison, It looks so good on the EM5!

I'm looking forward to reviews and some sample images. Anyone know a UK release date?

18. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I see a financial expenditure in your near future followed by hours of Photographic Bliss..:biggrin:

That factor is keeping me out of a lot of trouble these days. When I looked at the reviews on the 12mm (to replace the pancake 14) I decided I'd rather "have it's room than it's company" :biggrin:.

Maybe it's just a phase I'm going through but every time I look at something bigger than what I already have I hesitate. Monday my 9mm body cap lens arrived and I'm really going to try to eliminate the need for the Rokinon 7.5. I find the Rokinon to be cumbersome given the few times I use it, while the 9mm BCL adds nearly nothing in the way of mass to the kit.

But I will look forward to seeing the pics from your new 15mm!!!

Regards,

Jim

19. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    I wonder how it will look on the gx 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm with you here. Though I want a 300 F2.8, though F4 is ok if they really must go that slow... I know Oly have one coming, but it's a looong way away.

*Le sigh*

Z...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.