Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 Now Available for Pre-Order

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by napilopez, Mar 24, 2014.

1. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez

In a surprise announcement, the Panasonic Lumix G Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 was made available for pre-order earlier today, at a price of $599. You can choose either a black or silver version, depending on your preference of stealth vs shiny.

The lens features three aspheric elements, Panasonic's Nano Surface Coating to reduce reflections and flare, and an aperture ring for compatible bodies.

An interesting focal length choice, but given its small size, if it renders anything like the other Leica-branded Panasonic lenses, it should make for a versatile little optic!

B&H Pre-order link - Black - $599:
    B&H Pre-order link - Silver - $599:

An image of the silver lens, which hadn't been seen before:

• Like Like x 6
  2. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Looks like it may be the same size as the 17 1.8. I wish they would remake the 20mm with faster AF.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Finally we have a price and it isn't bad at all. It is less than I figured but more than I wish it cost. Still if the lens has the IQ that Panasonic/Leica lenses are known for it is worth it.

I really like the layout of this lens. An aperture ring is a great idea and I hope Panasonic adds it to more lenses and maybe Olympus follows suite. The af/mf button is a great addition too. I just wish the focus ring was a true manual ring with stops at each end.

I figure this lens and the new Olympus 25mm will cause me to change my lenses around. I may sell my 14 and 20mm and switch to this 15mm and the 25mm.
  4. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    hope the aperture ring works on Oly :)

funny just ordered the 17 ply finally got my shipping order Saturday :) haahhahah

am excited to see how it does though and how quick it will focus etc. :)

now Oly or Panny give us a 14 or 16 MM fast Prime please !!
    but the new Oly zoom will most likely be the one to cover this so hurry up Oly :)
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    $599 sounds a bit step IMHO - even more than the Oly 17/1.8 was at launch. Let's hope it's good!

I predict that the aperture ring will be ignored by Oly cameras - until Oly introduce the same feature (and let's hope if/when they do that it's a common interface!).
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    -Nice to see Leica/Panasonic beginning to take a page out of Fuji with the aperture rings. :smile:
    -Nice price. :smile:

Overall = :2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Here's hoping for a nicely priced kit with the GM-1 (excuse for a dinky camera. Mostly just want the lens if it's as sharp as the 20 and focuses as fast as the 14...)
  8. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    As far as I know, there hasn't been a US GM1 kit announced, but in the UK at least, there's a GM1+PL15 kit coming out for 999 pounds, which seems like a very fair price. If the US price is $1100 or less, I think we'd be getting a pretty good deal!

As for image quality, my prediction is that it will be technically better than the 17 f1.8. I prefer the snapping manual focusing mechanism to the aperture ring, particularly since the former works on any body, but given that the 17mm is only "really good" rather than great optically, I'd expect the Panasonic to outperform it with the Leica standard and its typical rendering. Of course, that's a completely unsubstantiated prediction, so we'll see!
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tempted to consolidate my 14mm & 20mm for this. I'll wait for the price to drop a bit though.
  10. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    This is an exciting lens and a very useful focal length. I'm looking forward to reviews ....
  11. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    It's a lovely focal length for street photography (well, anything from 12-15 in m43) but it looks fatter than the 20mm (or the panny 14-42 pancake) and for street I really want a lens that's slim and unobtrusive.

Otherwise I'd be sorely tempted :)
  12. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    I have always been tossed between the Canon 24/1.4 and 35/1.4 lens … so this 30/1.7 lens is perfect for me. But I have not pulled the trigger … yet, but I am 99% certain I will, as I have no doubts that the IQ and rendering will be stellar. Time to list my 17/1.8, 25/1.4 and 45/1.8 lenses. The Summilux 15/1.7 and Nocticron 42.5/1.2 will have to do the work of these 3 lenses!
  13. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Yes. Looks like the 20/1.7 will remain forever unsurpassed as the smallest sharpest m43 lens. It must not be physically possible to make lens this small with the newer focusing mechanism s or Pana or Oly would have done it by now.

14. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    The one thing I really miss on my digital lenses are aperture rings. Back when I was shooting 4/3, I shot a Lumix L1 with the Pana/Leica 2.8 zoom, which had an aperture ring. That combo was superb. So, I am really interested in this lens. I own the Pana/Leica 25 1.4 and this would make a fine addition for my street work. I will be using it mostly on my GF-1.
  15. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    I might rather have a 30 than carry a 24 and 35 just to carry less gear kinda thing can always crop in a bit and sometimes can't back up so 30 for me is a fine setup
  16. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    I'm waiting for Amazon to have their pre-order link up!
  17. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Too rich for my blood.
  18. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I think one of the reasons for this may be how 20mm relies so much on digital correction for distortion as well as CA(on panny bodies). If I recall correctly, the uncorrected angle of view of the panny is more like 16 or 17mm. This impacts both corner sharpness and chromatic aberration, as flaws will be magnified with distortion correction. By consensus, it also renders worse than the Leica branded lenses or some of Panasonic's other HQ lenses. So I'd assume to meet the "Leica Standard" the lens can't rely too much on software correction, and also needs optical elements to provide correction for other IQ facets. Couple that with what I assume is a larger focusing mechanism on the Leica to provide quicker focus, and you probably have the root of why this lens can't be miniaturized that much.

I still wish manufacturers would provide more compact MF only versions of their lenses, but I realize that's a very niche pipedream =P.
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    I don't recall where I saw it, but there is a nice comparison photo floating around the web showing the PL15 to clearly have a smaller diameter than the P20. In terms of length it looked to be fractionally shorter than the Oly45.

All in all a a fairly compact lens.
  20. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    The dimensions of the 15/1.7 reported on the German Panasonic site are almost identical in diameter, height and weight to the Olympus 17/1.8. So if you have that lens you know just about what the 15/1.7 will be like.

And as I have the 20/1.7 and the 17/1.8 I can tell you they are of a different flavor rather than bigger or smaller when mounted on a smaller body. The 17/1.8 is smaller in diameter though taller than the 20/1.7 which is rather large diameter in comparison while being a bit thinner. So for instance when both mounted on my GM1 they are about equally tight fitting in a given pouch or pocket.

So for those who might want to move from either the 17/1.8 or 20/1.7 to the 15/1.7 I think size wise they are all nearly equivalent in practice.
    • Like Like x 1