Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 Review Part II - Real-World Results

napilopez

Contributing Editor
Real Name
Napier Lopez

The Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 is a peculiar lens. In a system that has traditionally been most known for its size, weight, and price advantages, the Nocticron seems antithetical at first glance. It’s larger and heavier than some similar lenses for other systems, and in several cases more expensive. For example: the Fujinon 56mm F1.2 is by all accounts excellent, and that lens comes at $600 less than the Nocticron, while being smaller and lighter *and* covering a larger sensor to provide shallower depth of field. Then you have the competition within Micro Four Thirds itself, primarily the venerable and miniscule 45mm F1.8, coming in at less than $400. Does this lens really make sense?

The problem with making these superficial comparisons, however, is that doing so betrays the merits of the Nocticron in the field. From the subtler technical advantages you won’t find described on any MTF chart, to the quasi-ineffable rendering aesthetic befitting its Leica branding, virtually every facet of the lens exudes a sort of masterful quality. I’ve spent the past 3 weeks working with the lens almost every day, and it’s been nothing but joy.

In Part 1 of my review, I discussed many of the technical details of the lens, and how it compared to the two other main AF lenses for the system, the Olympus 45mm F1.8 and 75mm F1.8. In this second part of the review, I detail my experiences using the lens as I do my regular work.

Note: All images are at F1.2 unless otherwise stated. I've also avoided cropping or kept it to a minimum on images showing shallow DoF, in order to assure realistic DoF expectations.

Using it:

My usability impressions from my first post on this lens have not changed, but I can now supplement it with some real-world experience. Firstly, somewhat to my surprise, I didn’t really notice a huge difference in weight for my kit; of course, it’s heavier than the 45mm F1.8, but still not unwieldy. In fact, contrary to my expectations, I felt the lens balanced almost perfectly on my E-M5 without grip. Maybe that’s because I was already used to using the even heavier Voigtlander 42.5mm, but the Nocticron didn’t make my kit feel nearly as front-loaded as the Voigtlander.

Autofocus has also been surprisingly satisfactory for such large, bright lens. While it’s noticeably slower than the 45mm F1.8, it’s still very fast; it feels very similar to the Panasonic 25mm F1.4 or the Olympus 75mm F1.8 in most scenarios. Indeed, I shot plenty of street photos with the lens wide open, and had no trouble locking onto walking targets immediately in S-AF and getting my subjects in reasonable focus.

It’s accurate too; one of the wonderful benefits of mirrorless is the ability to use reliable face detection, and Olympus perhaps does this best by allowing focus on either the nearest eye, or the eye of your choice. Shooting with lenses providing similar shallow depth of field on other systems, DSLRs in particular, often forces you into manual focus if you’re trying to capture a passable headshot. I had no such trouble here.

And mind you, I’m a heavy manual focus user, but for very close headshots, I found focus “pumping” using face detection on my E-M5 to be much less painless than trying to maintain a razor-thin focus plane on the nearest eye, something I would have to with the Voigtlander. There have been too many times where, for all my carefulness, my subject or I will move slightly forward or backward, and suddenly focus is lost. That’s where AF really comes in handy. Heck, even continuous tracking on the CDAF-only E-M5 worked decently.

The Images:

I love using short telephoto lenses. I got my start using a 50mm F1.4 on Micro Four Thirds (a 100mm equivalent) and in my early days, I did everything from portraits, to street, to architecture with just that one lens. While I now have a larger selection to choose from, I feel the short-tele is more versatile than people give it credit for. And it just so happens that this is the best short-tele I’ve ever used.

Seriously, this lens just blows me away.

I’ve detailed a lot of the technical aspects of the lens’ performance in my first half of this review, and more technical comparisons have been cropping up online since. Those invariably show the Nocticron to be an excellent performer, but somehow, that doesn’t seem enough.

Of course, there are the obvious characteristics, like having an F1.2 aperture for decent exposure and quality in low light:

Or the shallow DoF the aperture enables:

And while those abilities are lovely to have, it’s something about the way the lens renders the world that really gets to me. For one, there’s the intense contrast that begs for a B&W conversion:

Or how impeccably sharp it is:

Of course, portraits are the primary raison d'être for this lens, and in no way does it disappoint on that front.

F2 - Cropped
13444465173_b90f534f0d_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

13462491164_55925300f1_z.jpg

13313906875_9117f9c070_z.jpg

13462256073_62ced6f70d_z.jpg

See, the thing about the Nocticron isn't so much that it does anything leaps and bounds above its competitors, but rather that it does so little wrong, and that it performs with a sort of finesse most other can't quite match. A lot of it is more subtle than you usually see in reviews. I mentioned the contrast right from wide-open before; there are other qualities, such as very minimal longitudinal CA on in-focus areas and out-of-focus areas, creating smoother bokeh and much more appealing foreground blurring. The transition from smooth to blurred on this lens is so clean it almost reminds me of gaussian blur. Even still, I noticed the lens less for how much bokeh it produced or how sharp it was than for how relatively little I had to adjust my images in post to get something I was happy with. If anything, I found myself lowering contrast more often than I've ever done before, and performing more skin smoothing than I generally do.

Conclusions:

I've surprised myself with how much I ended up liking this lens. I expected it to be a great performer, but at the announced price tag and large size, I never thought I'd be interested in actually buying it. After all, my personal photo aesthetic tends to be so heavy on filters with a faded look and tons of grain; after crossing the "decent" threshold, why would any additional optical performance matter to me?

The truth is, I don't know. All I know is how much I like the shots coming out of my camera since I started reviewing the Nocticron. I almost don't think it's fair to compare it to the Olympus 45mm; to me they serve totally different purposes. The Olympus 45 is like a delicious meal you can afford to eat every day from your favorite diner around the block. The Nocticron is more like eating at a world class restaurant serving your favorite type of food. Generally, your diner food is great. Going to the fancy restaurant will be more expensive and take more effort to get to. But once you've tried it, you'd be lying if you said you weren't a little spoiled.

Crude analogy being made, I think these two lenses can easily coexist in somebody's kit. For example, I might use the 45mm for my daily shooting when I want to travel light, and the Nocticron for my paid work. It's a testament to the versatility of Mu-43 that the Olympus can perform so well in most scenarios, but you also have the Nocticron performing better than almost every other lens out there.

Likewise, the Voigtlander 42.5mm F0.95 and this lens seem completely removed from one another; other than both having impressive light-gathering abilites and full-frame-ish DoF, the results of shooting with these two lenses are completely different. The Voigtlander seems to revel in its flaws with the ability to clean up when it needs to. The Nocticron aims to perform at its best all the time.

And I mean, it's not just me; look around all the reviews for this lens, and you'll find only universal acclaim. There's just "something" about it, and even if my personal aesthetic preferences may lie closer to something like the Voigtlander, there's no denying the excellence of the Nocticron. This is a lens meant to show that Micro Four Thirds is as serious a system as any, a lens that doesn't compromise on image quality just to downsize.

Simply put, this is the best lens I've ever used, over any L glass or premium Nikon optics. But perhaps the best compliment I can give the Nocticron is that it just makes me want to go out and just take pictures, if only to see what it will churn out next. Whether working on street, portraits, events, or weddings, I've felt like I've consistently gotten more keepers from this lens than any other before, while saving me a lot of time in post, too.

That, to me, makes it worth $1600.

But as always, your mileage may vary. Nevertheless, there's no denying that if you're on Micro Four Thirds, you have a great collection of options.

The Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 is available for $1600. Please note that purchasing any items by going through the links in this review (or throughout the website) helps Mu-43 keep growing.

Additional Samples:

More samples in the Nocticron Sample Image Archive Thread, as well as my Flickr account.

13462175225_3737d252f1_c.jpg

F2.8
13350262023_842ae32fc5_z.jpg

13350481364_5700ee0932_c.jpg

13462158055_8de4ea9533_z.jpg

13314202963_f9d4ab21fd_c.jpg

F2.5
13464608723_ced335e346_z.jpg

13462221285_cc03ca574b_c.jpg

13444466543_7e40c96ea9_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Nice review Napier. I personally can't see me spending this sort of money given how good the 45/1.8 is, but if I were doing portraits professionally I might reconsider. There no denying that it's is a unique lens and a great advertisement for the u43 format.

Right - now round to my local diner for breakfast!

MCMLXXIII AD

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mahesh
The truth is, I don't know. All I know is how much I like the shots coming out of my camera since I started reviewing the Nocticron. I almost don't think it's fair to compare it to the Olympus 45mm; to me they serve totally different purposes. The Olympus 45 is like a delicious meal you can afford to eat every day from your favorite diner around the block. The Nocticron is more like eating at a world class restaurant serving your favorite type of food. Generally, your diner food is great. Going to the fancy restaurant will be more expensive and take more effort to get to. But once you've tried it, you'd be lying if you said you weren't a little spoiled.

Crude analogy being made, I think these two lenses can easily coexist in somebody's kit. For example, I might use the 45mm for my daily shooting when I want to travel light, and the Nocticron for my paid work. It's a testament to the versatility of Mu-43 that the Olympus can perform so well in most scenarios, but you also have the Nocticron performing better than almost every other lens out there.

I think that is the best review I have come across of Nocticron and matches my experience too. Liked the analogy made there. It also highlights what a great lens 45mm is. 42.5 is a notch above, a perfection, wonderful creamy bokeh and sharpness. However you cannot go wrong with 45 either.

I did sometimes find cron a bit too sharp like you mentioned. In fact I prefer 45mm for that reason.

tomO2013

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What a great review! And more to the point, what great shots you've shared with us.

Really really enjoyed them. I like the faded look that you go for :) I'd love to see you write an article on your PP style and how you arrived at your particular 'look'. Something like what Maxim does presently. Would make for a great read :)

I couldn't agree more with every word and sentiment in your article. The Nocticron is the best 85mm (or FOV equivalent) lens that I've ever had the pleasure to shoot with. Worth every penny. Every time I see a shot that somebody has taken with it, it strikes me how similar in rendering and character it is to the 50mm noctilux (never mind the actual, build and feel of the lens).

Things are looking good for the 15mm!!!

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Thanks for the review. I wonder if you took any images from the same spot same composition at f2.8 vs f1.2 to see what happened? One of my gripes with the 50mm f1.4 lenses I've used (and I suspect you have used them too) is the reduced detail in both shadow and highlight one gets with 1.4 ... as this clears up by 2.8 on my 50's it would be interesting to see how it goes with the Nocticron.

:)

MrKal_El

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I pretty much concur with everything you wrote: There is just "something", something very special about this lens... I can't say it enough...I love it.

kavu

Mu-43 Rookie
Some beautiful photos. Having a hard time resisting this lens. I know it would live on my camera if I bought it.

pykers

Mu-43 Rookie
Lovely images and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Seems to be a killer lens!

Quick question...

How much PP was done to these images, specifically sharpening? I'm really impressed with how sharp this lens is...just wondering if that is all lens or if it's getting some help in PP.

The micro contrast and "3D pop" of this lens is pretty incredible. The 7th image down (picture of the couple on the high line) is a perfect example.

D

Deleted member 20897

Very nice review and great images. As nice as the lens may be....I just want to point out that without the skill of the photographer behind the camera, those images would not look as good as they do.

I would love to own this lens, even having just purchased the Oly 45/1.8...but that price is just not something I can see me shelling out for my secondary system. If this was my primary system, then I could see this being probably the #1 lens sitting on an Oly OMD EM1.

D

Deleted member 20897

Very nice review and great images. As nice as the lens may be....I just want to point out that without the skill of the photographer behind the camera, those images would not look as good as they do.

I would love to own this lens, even having just purchased the Oly 45/1.8...but that price is just not something I can see me shelling out for my secondary system. If this was my primary system, then I could see this being probably the #1 lens sitting on an Oly OMD EM1.

heedpantsnow

Mu-43 Veteran
True, a VERY skilled photog indeed.

One of my favorite things about how this lens renders is the small amount of vignette it has when photographing objects close up. Then, it seems to automatically disappear when photographing things far away. Amazing.

napilopez

Contributing Editor
Real Name
Napier Lopez
Lovely images and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Seems to be a killer lens!

Quick question...

How much PP was done to these images, specifically sharpening? I'm really impressed with how sharp this lens is...just wondering if that is all lens or if it's getting some help in PP.

The micro contrast and "3D pop" of this lens is pretty incredible. The 7th image down (picture of the couple on the high line) is a perfect example.

In virtually all of these, my sharpening settings are my standard Lightroom sharpening; an amount of 40 with a radius of 1.2. One thing I should mention, however, is that some of the images are exported to 8MP, so seeing the "originals" at 100% on flickr might seem sharper than the full size image would actually be. Nevertheless, it's super sharp.

DigitalD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Napier, you kill me as to how good you are. Thanks for the review!!! A truly awesome lens. Someday... ;)

Sahib7

Mu-43 Regular
@napilopez:

Have you already decided which lens to buy for your needs?
The Voigtländer or the Panasonic/Leica?
The looks of both are clearly different. I like both of your example photo sets, though...

nagual

Mu-43 Regular
@ Bownephoto That is exactly how I feel, thanks for the review napilopez! still I' like to know your decision on The Voigtländer or the Panasonic/Leica?

JHM

Mu-43 Regular
Great review, thank you! I just got into photography and have the 45mm 1.8 (which I love) but this lens seems a class of it's own. I can see myself dreaming of this lens in low-light situations.
The bokeh in picture 7 is just wonderful.
This lens is far above my budget but it looks amazing.
Maybe I'll pick it up some day when it becoms cheaper but that won't be in a long time I guess.

pykers

Mu-43 Rookie
In virtually all of these, my sharpening settings are my standard Lightroom sharpening; an amount of 40 with a radius of 1.2. One thing I should mention, however, is that some of the images are exported to 8MP, so seeing the "originals" at 100% on flickr might seem sharper than the full size image would actually be. Nevertheless, it's super sharp.

Great to hear nothing was overly sharpened or messed with in PP. This lens looks like a real stunner.

Thanks for the reply!

Latest threads

Top Bottom