Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH Announced.... Again

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Panasonic has again announced their Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH lens.

Expected pricing: $1,599/€1,499/£1,299

I'm seeing lots of strong reactions to the pricing, both in our forum and elsewhere. What I haven't seen so far are many sample images taken with this lens. Hopefully soon!
  2. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Maxim Guselnikov
    • Like Like x 4
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

OUCH! $1600. I won't be getting one. I don't use this focal length that much. The Olympus 45mm is a very good lens and is 1/4 the price. There is NO amount of improvement in IQ that could qualify the $1200 difference, not in my mind at least.

Can you image what the price would have been for the 150mm if they had gone ahead with it? $3000? No wonder they dropped it when Olympus announced their fast tele zoom.
  4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    If it has equivalent or better sharpness and character when compared to the 75mm, and in light of the fact that its stabilized and faster and is a much more usable focal length… its still about $400 too expensive.
  5. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    B&H price is $1699!
  6. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
  7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    FWIW, Fuji just announced the 56/1.2 at USD999. I would be really interested to see how these two lenses stack up against one another...

Having said that, I have no interest in getting this lens, since I already have the Olympus 45/1.8, and this is a focal length that I rarely use...
  8. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    If I wanted this lens would it be worth it for me? Probably. Not much more than the 35-100 f/2.8 for the early adopters, which I was, but typically I'm not.

While it's a different animal, I'm very happy with my manual 42.5 Voigtlander for $600 less, makes $1,000 sound not too bad.

In fact, after first purchasing a 17.5 Voigtlander I wanted my next fast prime(s) to be manual, for the added control and flexibility. For now, all my zooms are autofocus and all my primes are manual lenses, it's working.

Overall I’m happy to see more premium optics made for the format, makes me think the early demise of m4/3 might be slightly exaggerated. :wink:
  9. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I was pretty excited for this lens but its double the price of what I would want to pay for it. Interesting to see if it turns into one of those status lenses like the 85L. Im sure the optics/performance will be the best of the best but damn thats a steep price to pay.
  10. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    As a portrait photographer I was really excited about this lens. but that price... I was thinking around $1200.

On one hand, you could get the Oly 45 1.8 and the 75 1.8 for less money. On the other hand, if you want to spend top dollar on a portrait lens that is going to isolate the subject matter and price is no issue then you might as well go full frame.

The right tool for the job. I like my M4/3, even for portraits, but if I'm spending top dollar to maximize my shallow DOF options there are better tools for the job, and for less money.

Looking at the sample images from the link above, it appears that there is fringing on the ears of the cat, and on the right sleeve of the girl in the pink coat on the dirt road. I'm curious to see some more samples.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Yikes. It's good to see the system expanding its range of lenses, but I'm not sure how many µ4/3 buyers are serious enough to consider a piece of glass that expensive. With the number of vintage 50/1.2 glass option that are checking in at less than a quarter the price, it certainly doesn't make sense for me. I do, however, look forward to seeing people's reviews and samples.
  12. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    Wow that pricing is unreal. Trying to really out m43 up against the big boys.
  13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    yes the price is a real killer... hopefully it'll drop with time.

I do like the bokeh that I've seen in the samples, however its probably too large and expensive for my preferences.
  14. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    What I fear most is how this bodes for the pricing of the 15mm F1.7, in which I am much more interested...
  15. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Those samples look excellent !!

There's a really nice 3D quality about some of those shots. Reminds me a bit of the Zeiss 50/2 ZM almost.

The price is steep but it probably delivers in the IQ department.

It's going to be hard for me to resist :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    I am also glad to see this high end lens finally up for sale, but it is ridiculously overpriced. I just don't believe the $1600 price tag is justified when there are so many less expensive alternatives right now that will probably delivery almost as good, if not just as good, results. Damn that Leica name, that's probably where the extra $$ is made up in just to have that branded on the lens.

Have to see more samples and get some reviews in before I even attempt to think about such a lens... it's gonna hurt pretty bad forking up the cash for something like this.

Also, I think early reports using this lens on an Olympus body such as the OM-D, hasn't been 100% successful. From what I've read, although the addition of an aperture ring on the Nocticron is pretty nice cool feature, I don't believe it works on the Olympus camera(s)... at least not yet.. maybe the lens is an early version without full compatibility and/or Olympus needs a firmware update to recognize the Noctricon and accept using the aperture ring on the lens. If it doesn't work on an E-M1, in my case, there's not much bells and whistles for $1600 to spend on this lens.

I'd save the $600 and get a Voigtlander 42.5 f0.95 instead.. sure it's manual, but the build quality is exceptional, the IQ is pretty damn impressive, and with the E-M1, manual focusing is a lot easier with focus peaking and the very nice EVF it uses.

I think at most, this Nocticron should really sell for no more than $1200 if they want to be competitive and not greedy and milking customers just for the Leica branding which I believe the $400 extra which this lens is overprice by comes from.

For $1200, it would be just within a reasonable price range to spend an extra $200 over the Voigtlander and get this Nocticron with AF, respectable f1.2 aperture, aperture ring, metal build, and Leica optic designs. For $1600, no way!

In a way, I'm glad this Nocticron is crazy overpriced at $1600... I was feeling it would have been really tempting and hard to choose between the Voigtlander 42.5 or this Panasonic 42.5... now that I know it's $1600 out of my price range, the choice is clear and simpler.

I had the Oly 45mm f1.8 and for under $400 (Less than 1/4 of this Nocticron), it is a damn fine lens with nearly as much brightness and bokeh.. actually maybe more since the focal length is greater. I might consider another 45mm to add back into my MFT collection over this Nocticron... and I'd still have change to get a fast 17mm f1.8 and perhaps the 60mm f2.8 macro for even more versatility for 1:1 close ups as well as another good slightly longer portrait lens focal length.

I don't know?... it does look like a very nice lens and the Leica/Pany lenses have been some of the best for MFT system, but the cost of $1600 for 1 fixed focal length lens is going to rub a lot of MFT users the wrong way... I'd prefer to spend less and get the Pany/Leica 35-100mm f2.8 for even more versatility and use.
  17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Way, way, way to rich for my blood. I'll stay with my Olympus 45mm.
  18. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    those are prices from the same store:
    Canon 85mm F1.8 350€
    Canon 85mm F1.2 2000€ (this lens is 1650€ overpriced, i did the maths ;)

Canon 50mm F1.8 II 100€
    Canon 50mm F1.2 1440€ (and this is way too big and heavy compared to the wonderful 1.8!!! Who would pay for that one!)

Nikon AFS G 85mm f1.4 1400€ (useles!!!!)
    Nikon AFS G 85mm f1.8 440€

Nikon AFS G 58mm f1.4 1640€ (for the rich kid!)
    Nikon AFS G 50mm f1.8 180€

Morality... sell the toys, be in debt and stop whining!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Once the price drops, I'll be interested.