Showcase Panasonic Leica 8-18mm f2.8-4

Real Name
Paul
Here's a few shots from the last month or so with one of my most used lenses.
Heading offshore out of Newport, Oregon in our buddy's boat to catch some albacore
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Underwater poker run shot of my two brothers. Not that great of a photo from a technical perspective, but if you have siblings, you get it.

Brice Creek in the Umpqua National Forest- 20 miles or so east of Cottage Grove, Oregon.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter

petegiu

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe Petenzi
Stream,2019
EM-1 Mark PL8-18 2.8/4

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A different post today about this lens...

I just got some feedback from a realtor who sold a house for which I took pictures using the 8-18mm lens. One of the comments from the visitors was that they were happily surprised to see the rooms and the interior was realistic and "authentic" in relation to pictures. Apparently, too many people looking for houses are very disappointed once they get on site, realizing those fisheye lenses distorted way too much the environment and the overall dimensions of the rooms.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
A different post today about this lens...

I just got some feedback from a realtor who sold a house for which I took pictures using the 8-18mm lens. One of the comments from the visitors was that they were happily surprised to see the rooms and the interior was realistic and "authentic" in relation to pictures. Apparently, too many people looking for houses are very disappointed once they get on site, realizing those fisheye lenses distorted way too much the environment and the overall dimensions of the rooms.
It's all relative isn't it... Although I can't imagine using a fisheye for interiors...

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's all relative isn't it... Although I can't imagine using a fisheye for interiors...
I probably exagerated but I guess a lot of photographers use "too much" wide angle lenses? Probably something like the popular 11-16mm with ff users.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Full frame fisheyes actually work quite well for some interior shots; your eyes seem to better accept a bit of curvature at the edges of the frame than massive rectilinear distortion at the edges. I shot all of the images of our last condo for the realtor to use in the sales marketing, with a few of the fisheye shots slightly defished but still having that curvature. Nobody seemed to notice and there were no comments.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Full frame fisheyes actually work quite well for some interior shots; your eyes seem to better accept a bit of curvature at the edges of the frame than massive rectilinear distortion at the edges. I shot all of the images of our last condo for the realtor to use in the sales marketing, with a few of the fisheye shots slightly defished but still having that curvature. Nobody seemed to notice and there were no comments.

View attachment 781634
Have you tried a cylindrical projection like Panini General? That would at least keep verticals straight, and you can control the amount of horizontal curvature versus stretching you want. For such a projection, starting from fish-eye may well be better.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Have you tried a cylindrical projection like Panini General?
I used the basic non-Olympus lens correction built into OV3 for the Samyang 7.5mm FE. It worked pretty well.
Of course I now have an Oly 8mm f1.8 and OV3 or Workspace will correct to any extent I wish (but I also have an Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 so am spoiled for choice in UWA.)

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I used the basic non-Olympus lens correction built into OV3 for the Samyang 7.5mm FE. It worked pretty well.
Of course I now have an Oly 8mm f1.8 and OV3 or Workspace will correct to any extent I wish (but I also have an Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 so am spoiled for choice in UWA.)
AFAIK neither Olympus Workspace nor LR can do more complex projections like Panini and stereoscopic.

Bokehfy

New to Mu-43

E-M10, 8mm, f5.6, iso 200

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Straight off camera jpegs, frame and watermark in Snapseed. The focal range is really handy. Shot on the PenF in a variety of filters/modes etc.

OI000108-01.jpeg

OI000091-01.jpeg

OI000100-01.jpeg

OI000107-01.jpeg

OI000097-01.jpeg

OI000096-01.jpeg

OI000104-01.jpeg

OI000109-01.jpeg

OI000099-01.jpeg

OI000113-01.jpeg

OI000112-01.jpeg

OI000103-01.jpeg

Real Name
Paul
Most of my diving is done in the cold, dark waters of the Pacific Northwest, so it's tough to make use of this lens. I still try, though. This is a quillback rockfish...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom