Showcase Panasonic Leica 8-18mm f2.8-4

kefir

New to Mu-43
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

AndyCr

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy Cripps

petegiu

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe Petenzi
EM-1 PL 8-18 f2,8/4

kefir

New to Mu-43

AndyCr

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy Cripps

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
Artifacts and Banding particularly bad at the wide end of my Panny 8-18 with clear blue sky. Longer lengths seem OK. Never noticed it previously but I was on ES this day so could that be the problem? This is a particularly bad example. If I reduce highlights to get detail in the sand, it's even worse!

Googled the hell out of it but none the wiser. Anyone else have a problem?

Last edited:
Real Name
Ian
Filter, dirty filter, or dirty lens are potentials.
A dirty filter causes banding in a blue sky? That's the first I've heard of that...

@Bidkev , While the electronic shutter may be contributing to the banding, I'd be surprised if it were because the E-shutter on the E-M5 II shoots 12-bit RAW (I'm assuming you shot this in RAW and then edited, correct?), which is the same as the mechanical shutter.

As for why it would be worse at 8mm vs 16mm, it may be that due to the wider FoV, you're capturing more of the sky and thus the camera has to deal with more gradations of color in the sky (a narrower FoV means less gradation in the frame, so less potential for color banding). As far as why it happens, I can't help you there unfortunately..

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
A dirty filter causes banding in a blue sky? That's the first I've heard of that...

@Bidkev , While the electronic shutter may be contributing to the banding, I'd be surprised if it were because the E-shutter on the E-M5 II shoots 12-bit RAW (I'm assuming you shot this in RAW and then edited, correct?), which is the same as the mechanical shutter.

As for why it would be worse at 8mm vs 16mm, it may be that due to the wider FoV, you're capturing more of the sky and thus the camera has to deal with more gradations of color in the sky (a narrower FoV means less gradation in the frame, so less potential for color banding). As far as why it happens, I can't help you there unfortunately..
Yes, I shoot RAW. I turned off ES and took 10 shots this morning at 8mm in similar skies and they were fine when all shots at 8mm the other day were banded, but other lengths were fine. My guess is that it was the ES at 8mm although I have no understanding of why this would be but I'd need another full day out at 8mm with ES off to confirm.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Gettin' dive bombed by kites. These were really amazing to watch.

kefir

New to Mu-43
Switzerland / Grindelwald

Last edited:

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend

John DiLeonardo

Mu-43 Rookie

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom