Panasonic Leica 8-18mm, 12-60mm, and 50-200mm f/2.8-4.0 lenses!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Clint, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    I was just looking through many of the post and was wondering why there seems to be much discussion about Olympus lenses, yet very little about Panasonic lenses.

When I first started with 4/3s the 9-18mm, 12-60mm and 50-200mm were the first lenses I bought and still have the latter two. However when I moved to m4/3s, Olympus did not offer the lenses I really wanted and the 4/3s just didn’t cut the muster for autofocus. So I bought all new lenses. Today about half of my lenses are from Panasonic, and every one of them has been well worth with the purchase price and top notch lenses across the board.

These three new lenses are going to offer quite a kit, just think three lens that take you frrom 16-400mm field of view equivalence. Just three lenses! The image IQ, size, cost, and weight should all be very beneficial compared to other alternatives. If I was just getting serious about photography and m4/3s system was my choice – I don’t have much doubt these lenses are the lenses I’d be acquiring.

Yet there seems to be no discussion or speculation like there has been for Olympus lenses. ???
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Maybe because they aren't "Pros"? There really isn't much talk about Olympus' non-pro lenses either.
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    They're Pana Leica and hopefully weather sealed.

My guess is it's because some of the new Oly lenses are already shipping (30mm), or may be next month (12-100mm iirc) with a few sample images online.

The Panas are not as far along.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
  5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I'm very much looking forward to getting the 8-18 f/2.8-4 but I'm afraid being a "leica" it has to be at least $1000
  6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Yes see other thread. I think quite a few people are interested with what Panasonic has announced
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I think between the fact that some people have a very clear olympus bias and for the most part overlook the existance of panasonic mu43 and the fact that there actually isn't much to discuss as the only thing we know is the focal length, aperture and pana-leica badge, you can't expect that much discussion.
  8. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I am very interested in those. Not too info yet, use to check rumours every day for that
  9. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Probably because we know next to nothing about them. If I remember correctly, then the only Olympus lens which had been wildly speculated in advance was the 25mm f/1.2, just because of the f/1.2.
  10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
  11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I think @barry13@barry13 is correct! I'm very interested in the lenses, but with so little information out, no samples, no copies in people's hands, no pricing, it's hard to get excited about them.

If the 8-18 is weathersealed and $500 with good IQ, I'll be jubilant...if it's $1,500 I won't care too much. Same with the 55-200. Is it going to cost as much as the 40-150 Pro? If so, I won't rejoice. Significantly less with good IQ? I'll be in line to buy one. By the way, I was going to hold off buying a lens of that range until the 55-200 came looks like that might be years, if ever. That's why there isn't too much talk about them, I'd guess.
  12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    I have the 4/3rds 50-200 and was excited to see that Panasonic is thinking about coming out with an M43 50-200. I hoped that Olympus would have remade the 50-200 in M43, but they chose to do the 40-150 Pro instead. But, there's little information to go on except for the mock up of the lens. So just biding time waiting for some solid information and an indication whether Panasonic is actually going to produce it.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I think 500$ is extremely optimistic. I expect the 8-18mm to be about 1000$ and will probably sell my P7-14 for it if it is. The 50-200 will probably be more than that, but I expect that it will be to big to justify adding to my normal kit. I really only need more than 100mm when doing wildlife and the difference to the 100-400 will not be that big by the time it gets released.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Another vote for "we know next to nothing about them yet".

I'm VERY interested in them. I'm not sure if I'll trade my 7-14 for the 8-18, size/weight and price will tell. Adding filters easily would be nice though. But the 12-60 and 50-200? Where can I pre-order? OK I'm not really going to pre-order, I'll wait and see some reviews first. But give us some details please.
  15. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Very interested in the 8-18, but not much to go on at the moment. 2017+?
  16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Haha, I know...I was just making the point, that it's really hard to have an opinion or to seriously discuss it without knowing $1,000, I'd probably give it a pass and stick with my beloved 9-18. :p
  17. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    LMFAO, the consumer-built, f/4-5.6 Olympus 9-18 is $700. On what planet do you think a lens that features premium optics, premium build quality, and is a stop faster across the range will be $200 LESS than the Olympus?

Seriously, people need to get a realistic idea of what this lens will cost, not "If it's more than $300, it's a rip-off because of the Leica label and I'm not buying". It's a premium lens. You get what you pay for...
  18. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Ugh...I threw out a random number to make a point...whether that number was $5 or $500 is irrelevant (if you read the rest of my post, you will notice that I also threw out a way higher random number: $1,500, to make the other side of the argument). The point was that until we have an idea of the actual number, it's hard to have an opinion on the lens.
  19. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Currently only interested in the 8-18. If over $1000, i'd rather go for the m. zuiko 7-14. Personally, i don't care about Leica branding.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I saw these in a display case at Photo Expo today. I was mainly interested in size of 12-60 as possible replacement for 12-35mm. It was attached to a GH5 body and size looked reasonable. I will be watching for the reviews of this lens. Panasonic reps did not have any info on when it might become available