Showcase Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f/2.8-4

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Supremely compact for what if offers
Doesn’t sell too well ? probably because it is much more expensive than the Olympus 40-150 F2.8
Used Oly 40-150 circa £700 ebay UK
Used PL 50-200 circa £900 - £1000 ebay UK
New Oly circa £1000
New PL circa £1475
Quite a large premium and not a constant F2.8
I love the Panasonic 50-200 but most wont justify such a large premium I suspect ?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Supremely compact for what if offers
Doesn’t sell too well ? probably because it is much more expensive than the Olympus 40-150 F2.8
Used Oly 40-150 circa £700 ebay UK
Used PL 50-200 circa £900 - £1000 ebay UK
New Oly circa £1000
New PL circa £1475
Quite a large premium and not a constant F2.8
I love the Panasonic 50-200 but most wont justify such a large premium I suspect ?
I always assumed folks preferred to match brands at the long end to get dual-IS. If you paired the O40-150 to a G9, what TC would you use, or would that even work? Sorry, but I’m pretty ignorant to the ways of TCs.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
I always assumed folks preferred to match brands at the long end to get dual-IS. If you paired the O40-150 to a G9, what TC would you use, or would that even work? Sorry, but I’m pretty ignorant to the ways of TCs.
Olympus 40-150 F2.8 works fine on Panasonic bodies as long as it is a more recent body such as G9/90 with 5 axis I.B.I.S ( having used that combo myself in the past) and vice versa Panasonic Lenses work fine on Olympus Bodies with 5 axis I.B.I.S
With regard to the TCs - they are Lens dependant ie only the same brand as the lens itself will work ie Panasonic 1.4 and 2.0 x TCs on Panasonic l50-200 and 200 F2.8 and only Olympus 1.4 and 2.0 x TCs on 50-140 2.8 and 300mm f4.0
It is preferable to use the same make Lens to get dual IS but that is not critical as long as you have a body with 5 axis IBIS as you get circa 5 stops of stability anyway
The additional stabilisation from Dual IS or Sync IS does not make a huge difference
The only potential other issue is that of dust and weather sealing which has been discussed elsewhere here as the sealing gaskets on some combinations do not match aswell as if same make lenses are attached (Slightly different seal and mating lens face dimension between some Olympys vs Panasonic lenses
This (May ?) be an issue only if you are using a particular combo in wet or very dusty conditions but I have not heard of anyone actually having issues with failed weather or dust protection using any of the ‘suspect’ combos

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Olympus 40-150 F2.8 works fine on Panasonic bodies as long as it is a more recent body such as G9/90 with 5 axis I.B.I.S ( having used that combo myself in the past) and vice versa Panasonic Lenses work fine on Olympus Bodies with 5 axis I.B.I.S
With regard to the TCs - they are Lens dependant ie only the same brand as the lens itself will work ie Panasonic 1.4 and 2.0 x TCs on Panasonic l50-200 and 200 F2.8 and only Olympus 1.4 and 2.0 x TCs on 50-140 2.8 and 300mm f4.0
It is preferable to use the same make Lens to get dual IS but that is not critical as long as you have a body with 5 axis IBIS as you get circa 5 stops of stability anyway
The additional stabilisation from Dual IS or Sync IS does not make a huge difference
The only potential other issue is that of dust and weather sealing which has been discussed elsewhere here as the sealing gaskets on some combinations do not match aswell as if same make lenses are attached (Slightly different seal and mating lens face dimension between some Olympys vs Panasonic lenses
This (May ?) be an issue only if you are using a particular combo in wet or very dusty conditions but I have not heard of anyone actually having issues with failed weather or dust protection using any of the ‘suspect’ combos
Thanks, I may consider the 40-150 2.8 in the future then. I think the TCs are cheaper for Olympus too. No big rush for me at this moment, as the 100-300ii is scratching the itch pretty well right now.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Thanks, I may consider the 40-150 2.8 in the future then. I think the TCs are cheaper for Olympus too. No big rush for me at this moment, as the 100-300ii is scratching the itch pretty well right now.
Yes the pricing of the Panasonic TCs is another issue prohibitive pricing on these and availability is poor partly I believe because very few are prepared to pay the price so no one ends up stocking them because they can’t sell them

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
As I stated in another thread, the pricing can work to your advantage. Simply find a store that's been setting on one for months, they'll make a deal to get it off the shelf. Honestly, if you want a particular lens patience is a much bigger factor than price. If you can spend $X on one lens to 'settle', then waiting and saving a bit longer to get the one you want shouldn't be a deterrent.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Yes the pricing of the Panasonic TCs is another issue prohibitive pricing on these and availability is poor partly I believe because very few are prepared to pay the price so no one ends up stocking them because they can’t sell them
The pricing of Panasonic TCs are just ridiculous, i have been eyeing the PL50-200 for a long time but i wont buy the lens without the TC and at the moment i cant justify the price of the TC.

Which there where a standard within m43 for the TC´s so you could use Oly-tc with Panasonic and vice versa

Real Name
Mike Peters
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DGoakill

Mu-43 Regular
Wondering if anyone that has this lens has used it for outdoor sports; Football, soccer, etc.? trying to decide between this and the Oly 40-150. The oly is way too big and that lens hood seems like a problem waiting to happen, plus I'm shooting the G9. However, I'm a little concerned that the the PL is only 2.8 at 50mm. I've looked around and can't really find any sports shots with either of these two lenses.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Wondering if anyone that has this lens has used it for outdoor sports; Football, soccer, etc.? trying to decide between this and the Oly 40-150. The oly is way too big and that lens hood seems like a problem waiting to happen, plus I'm shooting the G9. However, I'm a little concerned that the the PL is only 2.8 at 50mm. I've looked around and can't really find any sports shots with either of these two lenses.
I use it as a primary lens for drag racing and air shows. Pretty sure it could do field sports.

The one issue is if you're concerned about 2.8 at 50, you won't like it at longer lengths. It drops off pretty quickly from 50 to 85 or so:

Leica-DG-50-200-f2.8-4-maximum-aperture.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shouldn't be an issue for static shots, especially coupled with a G9. Also shouldn't be an issue outdoors.

Having said that, it is a superb lens, I like it better than the 100-400, the PL-15, etc. It's light, focuses fast and is sharp enough to withstand some pretty good crops.

P1049031 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Last edited:

DGoakill

Mu-43 Regular
I use it as a primary lens for drag racing and air shows. Pretty sure it could do field sports.

The one issue is if you're concerned about 2.8 at 50, you won't like it at longer lengths. It drops off pretty quickly from 50 to 85 or so:

View attachment 845192

Shouldn't be an issue for static shots, especially coupled with a G9. Also shouldn't be an issue outdoors.

Having said that, it is a superb lens, I like it better than the 100-400, the PL-15, etc. It's light, focuses fast and is sharp enough to withstand some pretty good crops.

View attachment 845193P1049031 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr
Thanks! Yeah, you nailed it with my concerns. I'm not a sports shooter, just messing around. I do need a longer lens in general and figured it should be also good at capturing action. I have shot these sports with a 5DMkii and 70-200F4, but in the worst of those conditions, I shot at 1600 ISO. To match that with M43 I'd be going up to 3200ISO so that is why I'm curious to hear from others with the lens of their thoughts. Good to see it's sharp even cropped in.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Thanks! Yeah, you nailed it with my concerns. I'm not a sports shooter, just messing around. I do need a longer lens in general and figured it should be also good at capturing action. I have shot these sports with a 5DMkii and 70-200F4, but in the worst of those conditions, I shot at 1600 ISO. To match that with M43 I'd be going up to 3200ISO so that is why I'm curious to hear from others with the lens of their thoughts. Good to see it's sharp even cropped in.
That shot isn't cropped much, I shoot trackside. Just enough to get it to a standard aspect ratio like 5x7 and maybe take out some distractions around the edge. However, it does crop well. This link is to a post in this thread where I was noting the resolution.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/panasonic-leica-50-200mm-f-2-8-4.99720/post-1307564

I've noted before I can typically crop to the 100-300 at full extension and still have an excellent image.

Real Name
Mike Peters
The G9 at 3200 will run rings around the IQ of a 5DmkII at 1600. The 5DmkII was pretty much crap at 3200, or at least mine was, while the G9 if you expose properly will still look good at 6400.

DGoakill

Mu-43 Regular
The G9 at 3200 will run rings around the IQ of a 5DmkII at 1600. The 5DmkII was pretty much crap at 3200, or at least mine was, while the G9 if you expose properly will still look good at 6400.
good to know. I was not impressed with the 5D at 3200 and only used it for family type shots were getting the shot was more important than the quality of the shot. I have not pushed the G9 really passed 2000. I've only had it for about 2 months, so not intentional, just haven't had the need so far.

DGoakill

Mu-43 Regular
I pulled the the trigger on this lens last week. Quite impressed! I watched several videos that lead me to believe there might be some sharpness issues across the lens and that some copies were good, while others were not so good. Tested it out with a focal chart and everything seemed within reason.

I didn't really see any sports images taken with this lens will researching it, so adding some of my own from this past weekend. The football shots were very challenging lighting wise as it was even hard to just watch the game. The baseball shots were in daylight, so much better. Not a sports shooter and this was the first time using the G9 for this and trying out some of the burst mode options.

Night shots were shot between ISO3200 and ISO6400 wide open and was getting shutter speeds around 1/500 at the fastest. Shot RAW and Jpeg, but ended up adjusting the JPG as they were good enough for what I was doing.

PG9_0430 by David Oakill, on Flickr

PG9_0414 by David Oakill, on Flickr

PG9_0530 by David Oakill, on Flickr

PG9_0614 by David Oakill, on Flickr

PG9_0751 by David Oakill, on Flickr

PG9_0737 by David Oakill, on Flickr

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I pulled the the trigger on this lens last week. Quite impressed! I watched several videos that lead me to believe there might be some sharpness issues across the lens and that some copies were good, while others were not so good. Tested it out with a focal chart and everything seemed within reason.

I didn't really see any sports images taken with this lens will researching it, so adding some of my own from this past weekend. The football shots were very challenging lighting wise as it was even hard to just watch the game. The baseball shots were in daylight, so much better. Not a sports shooter and this was the first time using the G9 for this and trying out some of the burst mode options.

Night shots were shot between ISO3200 and ISO6400 wide open and was getting shutter speeds around 1/500 at the fastest. Shot RAW and Jpeg, but ended up adjusting the JPG as they were good enough for what I was doing.

View attachment 846940PG9_0430 by David Oakill, on Flickr

View attachment 846941PG9_0414 by David Oakill, on Flickr

View attachment 846942PG9_0530 by David Oakill, on Flickr

View attachment 846943PG9_0614 by David Oakill, on Flickr

View attachment 846944PG9_0751 by David Oakill, on Flickr

View attachment 846945PG9_0737 by David Oakill, on Flickr
It remains my favorite lens.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom