Showcase Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f/2.8-4

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Supremely compact for what if offers
Doesn’t sell too well ? probably because it is much more expensive than the Olympus 40-150 F2.8
Used Oly 40-150 circa £700 ebay UK
Used PL 50-200 circa £900 - £1000 ebay UK
New Oly circa £1000
New PL circa £1475
Quite a large premium and not a constant F2.8
I love the Panasonic 50-200 but most wont justify such a large premium I suspect ?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Supremely compact for what if offers
Doesn’t sell too well ? probably because it is much more expensive than the Olympus 40-150 F2.8
Used Oly 40-150 circa £700 ebay UK
Used PL 50-200 circa £900 - £1000 ebay UK
New Oly circa £1000
New PL circa £1475
Quite a large premium and not a constant F2.8
I love the Panasonic 50-200 but most wont justify such a large premium I suspect ?
I always assumed folks preferred to match brands at the long end to get dual-IS. If you paired the O40-150 to a G9, what TC would you use, or would that even work? Sorry, but I’m pretty ignorant to the ways of TCs.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
I always assumed folks preferred to match brands at the long end to get dual-IS. If you paired the O40-150 to a G9, what TC would you use, or would that even work? Sorry, but I’m pretty ignorant to the ways of TCs.
Olympus 40-150 F2.8 works fine on Panasonic bodies as long as it is a more recent body such as G9/90 with 5 axis I.B.I.S ( having used that combo myself in the past) and vice versa Panasonic Lenses work fine on Olympus Bodies with 5 axis I.B.I.S
With regard to the TCs - they are Lens dependant ie only the same brand as the lens itself will work ie Panasonic 1.4 and 2.0 x TCs on Panasonic l50-200 and 200 F2.8 and only Olympus 1.4 and 2.0 x TCs on 50-140 2.8 and 300mm f4.0
It is preferable to use the same make Lens to get dual IS but that is not critical as long as you have a body with 5 axis IBIS as you get circa 5 stops of stability anyway
The additional stabilisation from Dual IS or Sync IS does not make a huge difference
The only potential other issue is that of dust and weather sealing which has been discussed elsewhere here as the sealing gaskets on some combinations do not match aswell as if same make lenses are attached (Slightly different seal and mating lens face dimension between some Olympys vs Panasonic lenses
This (May ?) be an issue only if you are using a particular combo in wet or very dusty conditions but I have not heard of anyone actually having issues with failed weather or dust protection using any of the ‘suspect’ combos

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Olympus 40-150 F2.8 works fine on Panasonic bodies as long as it is a more recent body such as G9/90 with 5 axis I.B.I.S ( having used that combo myself in the past) and vice versa Panasonic Lenses work fine on Olympus Bodies with 5 axis I.B.I.S
With regard to the TCs - they are Lens dependant ie only the same brand as the lens itself will work ie Panasonic 1.4 and 2.0 x TCs on Panasonic l50-200 and 200 F2.8 and only Olympus 1.4 and 2.0 x TCs on 50-140 2.8 and 300mm f4.0
It is preferable to use the same make Lens to get dual IS but that is not critical as long as you have a body with 5 axis IBIS as you get circa 5 stops of stability anyway
The additional stabilisation from Dual IS or Sync IS does not make a huge difference
The only potential other issue is that of dust and weather sealing which has been discussed elsewhere here as the sealing gaskets on some combinations do not match aswell as if same make lenses are attached (Slightly different seal and mating lens face dimension between some Olympys vs Panasonic lenses
This (May ?) be an issue only if you are using a particular combo in wet or very dusty conditions but I have not heard of anyone actually having issues with failed weather or dust protection using any of the ‘suspect’ combos
Thanks, I may consider the 40-150 2.8 in the future then. I think the TCs are cheaper for Olympus too. No big rush for me at this moment, as the 100-300ii is scratching the itch pretty well right now.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Thanks, I may consider the 40-150 2.8 in the future then. I think the TCs are cheaper for Olympus too. No big rush for me at this moment, as the 100-300ii is scratching the itch pretty well right now.
Yes the pricing of the Panasonic TCs is another issue prohibitive pricing on these and availability is poor partly I believe because very few are prepared to pay the price so no one ends up stocking them because they can’t sell them

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
As I stated in another thread, the pricing can work to your advantage. Simply find a store that's been setting on one for months, they'll make a deal to get it off the shelf. Honestly, if you want a particular lens patience is a much bigger factor than price. If you can spend $X on one lens to 'settle', then waiting and saving a bit longer to get the one you want shouldn't be a deterrent.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Yes the pricing of the Panasonic TCs is another issue prohibitive pricing on these and availability is poor partly I believe because very few are prepared to pay the price so no one ends up stocking them because they can’t sell them
The pricing of Panasonic TCs are just ridiculous, i have been eyeing the PL50-200 for a long time but i wont buy the lens without the TC and at the moment i cant justify the price of the TC.

Which there where a standard within m43 for the TC´s so you could use Oly-tc with Panasonic and vice versa

Real Name
Mike Peters
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom