Shootout Panasonic Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro vs. Olympus Zuiko OM 50mm f/2.0 Macro

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I have the Oly 50. In terms of image quality, it is one of the nicest lenses I have ever owned. The only real drawback is that AF is slow and sometimes it can REALLY hunt. If you don't need lightening reflexes, e.g., you take lots of flower shots, it's fine. To be honest, I once used this lens on the E-P1 as a walk-around snap shooter at Disney World and it worked wonderfully well. :thumbup:

WT21

Super Moderator
It would be interesting to see image quality comparison with the OMZ on a quality speed booster.

I have about a dozen OM Zuikos, and they all benefit from a speed booster — some, dramatically.
I am sure it would rock. That lens really had very few flaws to begin with

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
That lens really had very few flaws to begin with
Mine has a flaw. I dropped it, and now the focus binds between 5-8 feet. :-(

John Hermanson says it's probably a damaged helicoid, and probably can't be fixed, but gave me some hints. Think I'm going to get out the spanner and see what I can do, before plunking down ~$900 on a replacement…

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Mine has a flaw. I dropped it, and now the focus binds between 5-8 feet. :-(

John Hermanson says it's probably a damaged helicoid, and probably can't be fixed, but gave me some hints. Think I'm going to get out the spanner and see what I can do, before plunking down ~$900 on a replacement…
My guess would be that the outer cylinder is bent.

Real Name
Jan Steinman
My guess would be that the outer cylinder is bent.
If so, it isn't obvious from a close examination. I suppose it could have a dent under the knurled rubber focus ring. The binding is only at one point, between about 5-8 feet on the focus scale. The rest of the focus is smooth, which to my untrained mind sounds more like a damaged internal part, like a cam.

If the outer cylinder was bent, wouldn't it bind throughout its rotation?

I have the exploded parts drawing. I'll carefully take it apart to see what I can see. It might be one of the helicoid cams that engage the floating elements at close focus, like CE689000, or the close focus helicoid itself, CE675700.

Wish me luck! It's probably going to take me a week to get up the nerve…

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
If so, it isn't obvious from a close examination. I suppose it could have a dent under the knurled rubber focus ring. The binding is only at one point, between about 5-8 feet on the focus scale. The rest of the focus is smooth, which to my untrained mind sounds more like a damaged internal part, like a cam.

If the outer cylinder was bent, wouldn't it bind throughout its rotation?

I have the exploded parts drawing. I'll carefully take it apart to see what I can see.
I've got a damaged lens where the focusing barrel seems out of round and rubs against the other barrel, but only in certain positions, and only when everything's screwed together.
In the lenses I've disassembled, the barrels are aluminium and the helicoid is much thicker brass, so the barrels would be easier to damage if dropped on the side. I can see dropping on one end might mess up the threads though.

Maybe you could find a moldy donor lens?

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
I found an old post of mine about that dropped lens:

Aperture not closing - Minolta 58mm f1.4
So, this one turned out to be caused by an apparent drop... the filter ring is badly damaged. Once I got it apart, I (eventually) figured out that the C-ring (which I thought was just a washer) was out-of-place and the brass part that rotates to control the aperture was not staying in place. Once I figured that out, it was easy to fix, and is working well now. Thus, I didn't have to disassemble the helicoid.
The stiff focus was also due to the damaged filter ring; leaving the front cover (trim ring) not screwed in all the way is the workable solution, unless I find a spare ring.

Real Name
Jan Steinman
I’ve been using a legacy OM 50mm 2.0 macro lens for portrait and macro needs.
You make me want to go out and get another one!

I had the OM 50/2, but sold it when I got the ZD 50/2. I'm not unhappy with the latter, but there was something just magical about the OM lenses, and I really appreciated the quality metal build, compared to the plasticy ZD 50/2, which I use in manual focus most of the time, anyway.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom