1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Shootout Panasonic Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro vs. Olympus Zuiko OM 50mm f/2.0 Macro

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by WT21, May 25, 2011.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have the Oly 50. In terms of image quality, it is one of the nicest lenses I have ever owned. The only real drawback is that AF is slow and sometimes it can REALLY hunt. If you don't need lightening reflexes, e.g., you take lots of flower shots, it's fine. To be honest, I once used this lens on the E-P1 as a walk-around snap shooter at Disney World and it worked wonderfully well. :thumbup:

2. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It sounds like you have the ZD 50, and not the OM50?

3. ciddi

ciddi Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Poland
    Wonderful job ! Wonderful sharing ! Thank you very much !!!

4. It would be interesting to see image quality comparison with the OMZ on a quality speed booster.

I have about a dozen OM Zuikos, and they all benefit from a speed booster — some, dramatically.

• Sad Sad x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am sure it would rock. That lens really had very few flaws to begin with

6. Mine has a flaw. I dropped it, and now the focus binds between 5-8 feet. :-(

John Hermanson says it's probably a damaged helicoid, and probably can't be fixed, but gave me some hints. Think I'm going to get out the spanner and see what I can do, before plunking down ~$900 on a replacement…

• Sad Sad x 1
  7. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    My guess would be that the outer cylinder is bent.

8. If so, it isn't obvious from a close examination. I suppose it could have a dent under the knurled rubber focus ring. The binding is only at one point, between about 5-8 feet on the focus scale. The rest of the focus is smooth, which to my untrained mind sounds more like a damaged internal part, like a cam.

If the outer cylinder was bent, wouldn't it bind throughout its rotation?

I have the exploded parts drawing. I'll carefully take it apart to see what I can see. It might be one of the helicoid cams that engage the floating elements at close focus, like CE689000, or the close focus helicoid itself, CE675700.

Wish me luck! It's probably going to take me a week to get up the nerve…

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I've got a damaged lens where the focusing barrel seems out of round and rubs against the other barrel, but only in certain positions, and only when everything's screwed together.
    In the lenses I've disassembled, the barrels are aluminium and the helicoid is much thicker brass, so the barrels would be easier to damage if dropped on the side. I can see dropping on one end might mess up the threads though.

Maybe you could find a moldy donor lens?

10. That would be lovely, but these are like hen's teeth already.

I found one with "cleaning marks" on evilBay for $480 that looks much more beat up than mine. Pass. Perhaps I'll request that they repost with "Make An Offer" enabled.

• Like Like x 1
  11. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I found an old post of mine about that dropped lens:

Aperture not closing - Minolta 58mm f1.4

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. You make me want to go out and get another one!

I had the OM 50/2, but sold it when I got the ZD 50/2. I'm not unhappy with the latter, but there was something just magical about the OM lenses, and I really appreciated the quality metal build, compared to the plasticy ZD 50/2, which I use in manual focus most of the time, anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.