1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic LEICA 25mm noisy

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by oto02, Feb 13, 2013.

1. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Flo
    Hi,

I just received my sweet PL25mm. I am at work at the moment but I managed to tried for a couple of shoots around and under the desk, looks pretty quick comepared with 20mm one.

But, seems to me very noisy when the aperture goes wide and narrow, when I point the camera towards and away from light. A kind of metal crickets sound. Is that normal?

Thanks a lot.

2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Yes, it does do that. It's from the aperture blades moving around with changes in lighting. It's especially noisy on the older PEN bodies. Which camera do you have?

3. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    It's noisy on my OM-D as well, it's normal. Sweet lens though.

4. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Flo
    Thanks a lot

I have Oly PM-2. Looks like the sound live on the Oly cams, not to the Panny.

Funny thing is, I found that only after I bought it. Same was with the Panny 20, everyone said it's a fantastic lens, and after I bought it, seemd okay but hunting focus, and all of a sudden plenty of complaining about slowlyness. Why all the time you find the bad stuff after you buy the bloody thing?

Cheers,

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I don't know that the noise can be considered "bad stuff." It's not that loud and only happens under certain circumstances. It's still an excellent lens. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    This really needs to be a sticky, lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I only hear it occasionally on my OM-D, when there is a really significant change in the light the camera is pointed at, from deep shadow to bright sun, say. It chattered incessantly on my E-P2, so it was a nice switch.

Having said that, I should admit that my last hearing test indicated hearing loss in both ears, so you you may want to take it with a large (or loud if you can manage it) grain of salt. Still, it obviously is much quieter on the E-M5

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I sold my 20mm to get the 25mm, but the 20mm was by no means a bad lens. Slow? I don't know. I did a fair amount of night time street shooting with it in Asia. I had to look for something brighter to focus on, a strong reflection perhaps, but is did well by me. The night markets, though dim, were bright enough that I got some good shots of people selling their wares (with their permission). I still think the 20mm is a fine lens. Though slower to focus, it's still apparently a bit sharper than the new Olympus 35mm f1.8. But I'm an ancient manual focus guy, so a second or two to lock on focus doesn't get me worked up. It still beats me most of the time.

9. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    The sound is much tolerable and happens less frequently on the OM-D. I could've sworn someone said that the noise was much better or removed by some firmware.

10. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    On mine, noise seems to stop when I dismount the lens. ;)

11. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    The noise was disturbing and very stressful.
    Lucky that the iq payed for this "issue"
    //fd p25 owner

12. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    My PL25 chatters away on my OMD. So does my Panasonic 100-300 for some reason.