Showcase Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by flash, Feb 2, 2011.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Pictures of the Panna leica 25mm 1.4 on an EP-2 body. Also compared to the 17mm native lens on an EP-1.

Gordon

IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0427.JPG IMG_0430.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. dtiedeman

dtiedeman New to Mu-43

Feb 2, 2011
    That Leica lens looks awesome. I have been thinking about getting this lens for my EP-2, but I wonder if it is worth the extra expense over the panasonic 20mm 1.7. Have you compared it to the 20mm? How does the lens autofocus compared to the 17mm olympus lens in terms of speed? Could you also post some pics in low light without a flash? Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    I don't have the 20mm yet. But I probably will for travel. Going to get the 14mm and 45mm first though. After the firmware upgrade the af speed is very close to the 17mm. I put them side by side on a bench at minimum focus distance and focused on an object 2 m away. Couldn't really tell which was faster or slower. Not bad considering how much glass has to be moved on the 1.4.

I'll post some samples when I get some I like. I've only had it for four hours. But a few things.

It's huge. As big and heavy as my Canon 24 1.4L and much heavier than a 50mm 1.4 Canon lens.
    It's noisy. And it seems to always be doing something. The aperture diaphragm opens up for af and opens and closes constantly while you move around a scene.
    - It's the sharpest 4/3 lens I have. But I only have 3 zooms (9-18, 24-45, 45-200) and the 17. But it really does show what the sensor can do.
    - Having live view is awesome. No more guessing exposure.
    - I like the handling. I'm used to big lenses and my work is with 1 series Canon bodies, so I like a bit of heft. With the viewfinder I really like the handling. Will still get the 20mm for travel though.
    DoF is very close to my 50mm at 2.8 on a 35mm sized sensor. Decent but not amazing dof control. Bokeh is very nice though.
    - focus is very accurate.

I'll show some samples as I get them, though others should feel free to add theirs and shots on different cameras.

Gordon

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  5. Bruster

Bruster Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 14, 2011
    This is a lovely lens. I had the shop assistant trying to get me to buy one the other day when I was getting my 45/2.8. It treads the fine line between BQ and hefty tho! For your average Joe, the exceptional image quality and portability of the 20mm/f1.7 is hard to beat at the price. looking forward to your comparisons.

6. dsteady

dsteady Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    Chicago
    I just picked one up on ebay for my GF-1. I haven't done much more than indoor test shots with it, but so far I'm very impressed.

Compared to the 20mm/1.7 I would say the 25mm/1.4 has a "silky" effect, like Leica M lenses, but not as distinct (read:totally awesome) as those lenses.

The 20mm/1.7 has a harder rendering, less of that silkiness, but is very sharp with high clarity. The 25/1.4 bokeh is nice as well, and mine appears sharp wide open and to 2.8. Beyond that, I haven't taken it outside yet - we've got this blizzard going on.

It is quite forward-heavy on the GF-1 but I like the extra mass, it feels stable in the hand when shooting. The AF is loud yet precise. MF goes automatically to magnifier which nice when you want to shoot discretely, no using the thumb wheel to get there first.

Also, the aperture control ring on the 25mm/1.4 lens syncs with the EVF/LCD display, so you have full aperture control from the ring which I find great.

I'll post pics if anyone's interested.

daniel

7. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    A few test shots on the EP-2.

023-FGP.

1/1600 @1.4 ISO 100

024-FGP.

1/1600 @1.4 ISO 100

025-FGP.

1/2000 @ 1.4 ISO 100

Not great shots but shows how the lens draws on the EP-2. Really felt like my 50MM 1.2L on my older Canon 5D mk1. I also found I was holding the rig by the lens rather than the camera. I really liked this as that's what I'm used too with my Canon system. I also liked the "heft" of the system. It felt stable. After i put the 14-45 back on the whole thing actually felt a bit weird. Too light.

Pretty happy with it so far.

Gordon

• Like Like x 5
  8. dsteady

dsteady Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    Chicago
    Here's one on the GF-1.

5415921126_8e09aff37c_b.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hmmm not really a great advert for the lens :)

K

10. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
  11. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Know what you mean about the 20. Love the lens, but it's hard to my eye. My Canon 50/1.4 on my 5D has a sharp but more silky feel.

12. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    flash: great colours.

Gorgeous dog.

• Like Like x 1
  13. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Most of the time he is :)

Gordon

14. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    25mm f1.4 on a GF1 is awesome, yes it is big and yes it is heavy, but I hold the lens rather than the body. You have to realize this lens is f1.4 for a purpose, it meant to be used wide open. Tests show it is sharpest at F2/f2.8, but even wide open it is sharper than any kit zoom your likely to find.
    Depth of field @ f1.4 is like a knife edge close in.
    Comparing it to the 20mm f1.7 isn't really a fair contest, they are totally different beasts.
    The 20mm is a crackingly good lens in it's own right and does a fantastic job, allowing the GF1(in my case) to be a superb walk about combination that will fit in coat pocket (just) - wouldn't reccommend it with the 25mm 1.4 though :rofl:
    You have to remember this is a Leica Summilux, now it might not have the ultimate build quality of the Leica M or R range (or the price tag, though it ain't cheap) but it does seem to have that Leica image quality.
    The best I can describe the 20mm 1.7 is 'clinical', very sharp, good colour rendition etc and makes buying into m43 a no brainer (just for THIS lens alone).
    The fact that the 20mm and 25mm are fixed focal length lenses, has made my photography so much more enjoyable, EVERYONE, should try it.

15. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    the quality of this lens shines through even in these web images. but what a great lump of a lens to have hanging on the front of a PEN ... chacun a son gout of course ... i can see why someone would put iuup wit hthat just for the look of the image it produces ...

16. Willem

Willem New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2011
    Hi Flash, nice lens! What brand is the camera jacket on the ep2? would it fit an epl2?

Regards,

Willem

17. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Aki-Asahi Camera Coverings

Not cheap. But very nice. I did pick up a half case for my epl1 off eBay far about 60.00 which I like as well. Not as nice as this on but still good.

Gordon

18. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    I have my second copy coming this week.. sold the first last fall and regretted it terribly... I can say one thing, it is eagerly anticipated. I know it well, and look forward to the homecoming.

My stable is pretty simple now... GH2 with 14-140, PL45/f2.8, and now the PL25/f1.4. Had the 7-14, the 20/1.7, 14-45, 14-42, 45-200, all gone and downsizing. Some legacy Minolta material that I will put to good tests this summer and make decisions on.

19. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Nello, Diffused Morning Sky

GH2, ISO 160, focal length 4.5 or so....

Nello_July05.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yoki Soufyan

Yoki Soufyan Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2013
    Jakarta
    Will need a couple of days and shoots to see if I really like it. I can't afford to have both the D and DG, so one have to give way to the other..

Taken with an E-M1:

PA130001t.

• Like Like x 1