Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 m4/3 lens review

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by soundimageplus, Aug 28, 2011.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    6076509345_bc6784460c_z.

I've just completed a three part review of the Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 micro four thirds lens at:-
    Soundimageplus: Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 m4/3 lens review

It includes full size samples, comparison tests with Nikon and Zeiss lenses, video and some raw samples.

Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 Micro Four Thirds lens review - Part 1 - Pictures, Quality & In use
    Soundimageplus: Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 Micro Four Thirds lens review - Part 1 - Pictures, Quality & In use

Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 Micro Four Thirds lens review - Part 2 - Just HOW good is the 25mm f/1.4
    Soundimageplus: Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 Micro Four Thirds lens review - Part 2 - Just HOW good is the 25mm f/1.4

Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 Micro Four Thirds lens review - Part 3 - Video and conclusion
    Soundimageplus: Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 Micro Four Thirds lens review - Part 3 - Video and Conclusion

• Like Like x 15
  2. magicianhisoka

magicianhisoka Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Thanks for the review. Will be reading it once i clear some schoolwork :)

3. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Exactly the kind of review I was waiting for to decide... I really like your hands-on approach. BTW, where was the photo with the beautiful church organ taken ?

4. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Its Hanbury, Worcestershire. The village that Ambridge in the Archers is based on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    This sums it up for me: my order will be in for one ASAP!

6082172683_382b9b263a_b.

6. magicianhisoka

magicianhisoka Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Interesting enough a lens overall. But methinks I'll stick to my venerable 20mm for the time being after all :)

7. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    It does look a lovely lens, not as dear in the UK as I'd expected at £489, only £180 more than a brand new 20mm

8. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the review. Very useful and practical.

9. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I sure hope they eradicate that rattlesnake problem. I need this lens. :frown:

10. nueces snapper

Interesting examining the tones in those two photos. Wonder which one is the most accurate. Not that it means anything. I'm betting the Leica is the more accurate one but ya never know. :cool:

11. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Who in the UK are selling this lens ?
    (I want to get it quickly :smile:)

Thanks,

Rob

12. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    SRSMicrosystems

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    May I ask where did you get that half case for the G3? It looks darn good! :smile:

14. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    It is a problem on the E-P3. I'm not sure there's much that can be done to fix it. I cannot say for certain it's on EVERY lens. If you can get to try one out that would be the best bet.

15. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I got mine from Mathers of Lancashire. (They are on the web) They had 3 last week but have sold out. More arriving soon though.

16. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Its a modified Leica M8/9 case. I've had to cut bits off and I've drilled a hole in the bottom so I can screw it to the camera.

I just like leather cases!!

17. nueces snapper

Thanks. Maybe the later produced ones will be improved. Guess I'll wait a couple months.

On another note: I mentioned above there is a somewhat pinkish or magenta tone to the Panny shot reproduced on this thread whilst the Leica shot is very neutral in the beiges shown.

Is this just Panasonic's normal color reproduction or something else?

Thanks

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It really makes the G3 look very classy! I wish they actually made one for the camera. :frown:

Great review BTW!

19. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you for the great review. Have you compared the original 4/3rds and the mft models of the PL 25mm f/1.4 lenses?

Thanks again,
    Tom

20. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    It was very dull overcast light. In fact neither of them is accurate. Personally I prefer the Leica rendition, as its warmer, but I always tend to "tweak" colours in Photoshop anyway.