Showcase Panasonic Leica 15mm f/1.7 DG Summilux

BleedingGumsMurphy

Mu-43 Veteran
I wasn't hooked last night but looking back I like a few... (this is a keeper, I am now unsure what to do about the Sigma 16mm)
P1170516.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1170500.JPG
P1170466.JPG
P1170455.JPG

P1170550.JPG

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... After seeing my Oly 25 1.8 fail to focus fast enough the other night the 15 was the perfect "faster" focusing companion for a dark dive bar...
Can you go into more detail about dark focus speed?
(I'll never own the mZuiko 25mm, I don't like that focal length as a prime)
I have the 15mm and like it a lot, no downsides at all, but the pancake 20mm goes with me most often.

BleedingGumsMurphy

Mu-43 Veteran
Can you go into more detail about dark focus speed?
(I'll never own the mZuiko 25mm, I don't like that focal length as a prime)
I have the 15mm and like it a lot, no downsides at all, but the pancake 20mm goes with me most often.

I meant walking around a dark street, especially little stalls, the Oly 25 couldnt decide where to lock on sometimes (like lenses do to different extents), so I had to tap the screen sometimes or lose the moment. I am not fully comfortable walking up to people in a foreign country and taking their photo with no permission, so I like fast focusing. In the day it is great for that.

It was still much faster than the Panny 20mm ever was in the day. I would prefer a prime somewhere between 17-20 then I would sell the 15 and 25, but it sounds like people much prefer the 15 to the Oly 17 1.8 and I assume the 17 will be a bit slower to focus at night like the 25.

The Oly will probably now be sold as it is miles off from the Sigma 30 1.4, it was bought as a lightweight, slightly wider alternative for the street and at night. But the focus is probably a similar speed to the Sigma at night, so may as well take the bigger lens, which encourages me to take an extra moment framing a shot because of the heft and quality it can produce.

BleedingGumsMurphy

Mu-43 Veteran
I have used neither the 15 or 25, but the 17/1.8 is very fast to focus even at night, and rarely fails to lock on my E-M1mk1. I usually use the 9-point focus group.
Thanks Barry, I will give it a comparison next time I see one in a dark ish camera store, some people seem to much prefer that lens. But I think it is because I use the Olympus lens on a Panasonic G7. Something about a type of focusing technology like DAF or something which is unique to Panasonic?

Last edited:

BleedingGumsMurphy

Mu-43 Veteran
In
I forgot to mention I have the 45/1.8, and it has noticeably more trouble at night than the 17, although I think later body firmwares have improved that.
In that case I will definitely give the 17 a try asap. The old 17 2.8 just felt right. I just compared the focus speed indoors where its very bright, between the PL15 and the Oly 25 1.8 and the Oly is faster. To be honest I dont know what all the different autofocus options are, I just chose which one seemed to do the job once. Might be user error - will read up on the AF types.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
Another vote of confidence for the 17mm - Works real well on my e-pl7 and air.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I find this lens handles foliage really well.
DC090027e.jpg

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
I just ordered this lens, traded it with my Olympus 25. Excited to be attached to 30mm fov. But my phone is that same fov and that was also the main argument that made me switch, I always find that the smartphone has some sort of sweet spot for the daily photos. So now my rig is Olympus 45 and Panasonic 15. That Olympus is a true decade keeper, and renders so identical to the 25 1.8, so I don't think I'm gonna miss the 25 that much. Sorry for my rambling, I'm gonna come back with some of my first shots with the PL15

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Shot at fairly high ISO at blue hour, f/2.8 with no IBIS, hand-held.

P1080808e.jpg

P1080809e.jpg

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
View attachment 599104
After one week of use, I can say for sure, this one puts Panasonic 20 of the equation. Really love the small subtle things it does, some kind of almost artsy drawing style, hard to describe, but I like it.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
OI000177-01-01.jpeg
OI000178-01.jpeg
View attachment 599501
I continue my praise to this lens, as someone mentioned in a review I read, (I have read them all) "I just regret that I didn't bought this one earlier"

SOCDriver

Mu-43 Rookie

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
View attachment 600903
OI000194-01.jpeg
View attachment 600905
Took my boys out for a photo walk in my town. It was a very nice snowy cityscape we met.

tsoumi

Mu-43 Regular
P9240067.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom