Panasonic/Leica 14-50 so you lost your hood?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Malcolm Schweizer, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Malcolm Schweizer

Malcolm Schweizer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    US Virgin Islands
    Malcolm Schweizer
    Hello all,

I have a Panasonic/Leica 14-50 2.8 that I bought used without the lens hood. The 72mm screw-in hoods that I tried vignetted and I was unable to find a replacement hood. I happened to have a Nikon 18-200 VR lens and noticed that they have the same filter ring, so what if they happen by chance to have the same bayonette mount? Well the thing is that this particular 18-200 got dropped while getting on a plane, and so the hood has a little chip out of it. That said, as it is it fit!!! It doesn't lock in quite the right spot- comes out a little angled, but I can just friction it on at the right angle and it holds fine. I ordered another one and will post an update when it gets here to see if an unbroken one will fit, but mine with a missing chunk of the threads fit! I figure you could use a file to file down part of the thread if it doesn't fit. Just thought I would share it. If anyone has a lens hood for the 14-50 2.8 I would be interested in buying the correct one from you.

Also through various whellin', dealin', and horse-tradin', I have wound up with a 14-42, 14-45, and 14-50 lens, so I will soon post a lens test of all three lenses side-by side with a test target and color chart. As for my favorite, the Leica is absolutely awesome except the focus is worse than I expected. Horrible at best as for time it takes to focus, and the noise it makes. Other than that it's just an amazing little lens. The 14-45 will have to stay. I was going to sell it, but since the Leica has such horrible focus I am going to need to keep the 14-45 for when I need fast focus or for videos. The 14-42 will probably go up for sale.