Showcase Panasonic Leica 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 DG Vario-Elmarit

Real Name
Deryck
Posted these in flowers, but thought I'd post here as this thread needs more pictures.

Not really a showcase for the lens, but if you knew how bad I am at taking photos then you'd realise how good this lens is.

I bought a GX80 and this lens as a Christmas pressie for myself, expecting to give the EM10 to my daughter, but this lens is now glued to the Olympus, so she'll have to wait.

I don't understand camera lens combinations, I tried a friends 12-40 pro a while back and it just felt ungainly on the EM10, even with the grip, whereas the PL is comfortable and just feels right. Similarly the 12-60 feels a bit ungainly on the GX80 (with cheap leatherette case and thumb grip), but oddly enough the Olympus 75-300ii works better for me on the GX80 than the EM10.

Originally I was contemplating getting the 2.8 pair of 12-35 35-100, so I bought a 12-32 and 35-100 (5.6) for under £200 to see if the focal lengths worked for me, but found myself swapping too much between lenses. David Thorpe in his review describes this lens as a compromise, well it is, but it is the best lens I have ever had and it somehow it sees things differently from me. My 12-32 gives me what I see, this one sometimes provides something extra, I don't know what it is, the only other lens I have that does this is my Sigma 60.

Enough prattling on - here are the photos, Olympus EM10 Mk1 jpeg from the camera and applying standard DXO preset. I think they are all ISO 200 and F5.6

Cheers
Deryck

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Ian
Can anybody comment on the lens' ability to generate sunstars at f/8 or f/11?

I know the PL primes do a very good job with creating sunstars, but I was a bit disappointed in the PL 8-18 and its lack of sunstars stopped down. I don't like to exceed f/11 due to diffraction (and would prefer to stay at f/8 if possible). None of the reviews I've read outside of Robin Wong's talk about sun stars, and the sample Robin had was at f/22.

Are there any landscape shooters here that could chime in, possibly even with some samples, when discussing this lens' ability to generate sunstars with distant points of light?

Thank you in advance.

Can anybody comment on the lens' ability to generate sunstars at f/8 or f/11?

I know the PL primes do a very good job with creating sunstars, but I was a bit disappointed in the PL 8-18 and its lack of sunstars stopped down. I don't like to exceed f/11 due to diffraction (and would prefer to stay at f/8 if possible). None of the reviews I've read outside of Robin Wong's talk about sun stars, and the sample Robin had was at f/22.

Are there any landscape shooters here that could chime in, possibly even with some samples, when discussing this lens' ability to generate sunstars with distant points of light?

Thank you in advance.
The second post on this thread has a nice pic with sun star. Although I don't know what f stop was used. The blur of the distant objects would suggest something like f8 perhaps?

Pedro041484

Mu-43 Regular
(Cross posted)
GH5 + PL 12-60mm

Hazza

Just Clicking
Real Name
Harry
Parys Mountain2 by Harry Cutts, on Flickr

Parys Mountain1 by Harry Cutts, on Flickr

Parys Mountain by Harry Cutts, on Flickr

Amazing are on the Isle of Anglesey. An old copper mine which once produced most of the worlds copper. Sadly it is no longer a working mine although there is 300 tones below the surface it is not economically viable.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason

Last edited:

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason

Pedro041484

Mu-43 Regular
GH5 + PL 12-60mm

I just returned my Olympus 12-40 to get the PL 12-60. I wanted the extra reach to hopefully limit lens swapping while traveling, and prefer the build and feel of the Panasonic Leica line to the Oly Pro. It's a nice match to my PL 8-18, and I even got a G85 to go with it. Jury's still out on the E-M5.II vs G85 but the 12-60 is a keeper.

Pedro041484

Mu-43 Regular
@ Meiji Shrine
GH5 + PL 12-60mm

Levster

Mu-43 All-Pro
From this morning:

From this afternoon:

Levster

Mu-43 All-Pro
@ Meiji Shrine
GH5 + PL 12-60mm

View attachment 686714
How do you get your sun burst looking so clean? When I try I get purple tinges and using the chromatic abberation tool does help much. Here’s an example:

Real Name
Kyle
I just returned my Olympus 12-40 to get the PL 12-60. I wanted the extra reach to hopefully limit lens swapping while traveling, and prefer the build and feel of the Panasonic Leica line to the Oly Pro. It's a nice match to my PL 8-18, and I even got a G85 to go with it. Jury's still out on the E-M5.II vs G85 but the 12-60 is a keeper.
View attachment 686359
After you use the G85 some more I would be grateful for feedback vs the E-M5 II. In an appropriate thread of course.

After you use the G85 some more I would be grateful for feedback vs the E-M5 II. In an appropriate thread of course.
I’m heading to Hawaii in a week with both cameras, hoping to get a good sense of their pros and cons. Will definitely report back! I would like to keep both because I think they each have their strengths, but this will be my test to see if it's worth it to me to carry around 2 bodies.

Here is another shot from my first day out with the 12-60. It's definitely wider than the Olympus 12-40 that I had, so able to get some nice perspective. Depending on how much I end up using the 8-18 in Hawaii, I'd generally say this is wide enough for everyday use.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom