Showcase Panasonic Leica 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 DG Vario-Elmarit

Levster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sorry to tease, I haven't actually been out with the lens yet! This is what it looks like on my GX8:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've taken a few shots and the auto-focus is near instantaneous!

Palmguy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Brian
Really like this lens so far.

Levster

Mu-43 All-Pro
I finally got my lens replaced under warranty!

Here are a couple of sample shots taken tonight:

thranth

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Looks like the O12-40pro thread has a lot more traffic, do we have other threads where I can see sample images from this lens?

Last edited:

thranth

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
Looks like the O12-40pro thread has a lot more traffic, do we have other threads where I can see sample images from this lens?
I don't know why no one else is posting on this thread, maybe they all use it for video? Either that or no one else knows that this thread exists, but here's another sample for you:

My Aug. 5 2017 post in the Show "Cars" thread were all taken with this lens as well.

Levster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Shot on my GX8:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I can't believe that there are so few sample images here for this lens. It is STELLAR!

My copy of this lens arrived today and I immediately asked my resident models to step into the front courtyard for a mini-portrait session.

Whoever thinks that dogs don't have souls doesn't know dogs. These are the most wonderful creatures on earth - arguably better earth citizens than we are!

Anyway... GX8 and Pana-Leica 12-60 lens:

Miss Kimber, looking oh-so-serious. She is one-sharp-cookie! Very reserved, quiet, and observant.
View attachment 595420

And Mr. Colt (Mister Soul) lover of everyone and everything. Ready to play and par-tay at a moment's notice.
View attachment 595421

My first impressions of the Pana-Leica 12-60 lens... WOW. Sharp as a TACK! I AM impressed with this lens, and the GX8. What a combo! My highly-revered 12-35/2.8 has some really serious competition now! So far, I'm really loving this awesome lens.

thranth

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
Panasonic G85 & PL 12-60 f2.8-4

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
I don't know why no one else is posting on this thread, maybe they all use it for video? Either that or no one else knows that this thread exists, but here's another sample for you:

View attachment 560568

My Aug. 5 2017 post in the Show "Cars" thread were all taken with this lens as well.
The O12-40 is a constant aperture lens; and it has also been in the wild longer. I would expect the PL 12-60 will quickly catch up with images.

thranth

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
The O12-40 is a constant aperture lens; and it has also been in the wild longer.
I wasn't really talking about why the O12-40 thread had more photos, but more about why no else posts pictures in this image thread. It seemed like it was only couple of people who were posting a few pictures here for a quite a while.

edit: for clarity

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
I wasn't really talking about why the O12-40 thread had more photos, but more about why no else posts pictures in this image thread. It seemed like it was only couple of people who were posting a few pictures here for a quite a while.

edit: for clarity
I edited my post when you were replying to say that I expect the PL 12-60 to quickly catch up with images.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I am so impressed with this lens. Image quality and build quality are really fine. And shooting with the GX8 and its awesome EVF, what a joyful image making kit this is!

I shoot aperture priority pretty much all the time and think of this lens as an f/4 lens that can do f/2.8, when needed, at 12mm in dimly lit interiors. I expect that most of the time I will be shooting it at f/5.6 to f/8. Occasionally at f/4.

The 12-60 range is seriously versatile and the IQ stunningly crisp. At 60mm, the compression is very flattering to portrait subjects.

It’s a fairly expensive lens, though, which limits buyers somewhat. I see mine basically replacing my 12-35/2.8 as my most frequently used lens. I have loved the 12-35 f/2.8 since it was first released, but have yearned for a little more reach at the long end and the 12-60 provides that in spades.

I tend to stop down a stop or two to deepen depth of focus and/or achieve optimal sharpness much of the time, so the f/4 speed of the lens doesn’t bother me at all. I bought this lens for its focal length versatility and high image quality. If I really need wide aperture, I just go to my 12mm f/2, 15mm f/1.7, 25mm f/1.4, 45mm f/1.7, 75mm f/1.8, or a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4. (The 100mm equivalent focal length with an f/1.4 aperture is pretty sweet!)

Last edited:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Wow... how I love this lens. I think it may even be sharper than my much-loved 12-35/2.8?

In any event, I do very much love the extension to 60mm for portraits. 12 to 60 is a great range, and I mostly think of this lens as being an f/4 constant aperture pro-grade lens. Fine by me - this is an outdoor lens for me and I will rarely shoot it at f/2.8.

GX8 with 12-60 at 60mm

Last edited:

thranth

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John

Kennikins

Mu-43 Top Veteran

"Hi Mary I found the boat. I'm afraid it doesn't look good"......

Last edited:

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
The Good: ultimate creamy bokeh

The Bad: it completely changes the carrying feel of my GX85 - the 12-32 kit lens makes the combo feel like almost nothing on a neck strap; but the GX85 + Leica 12-60 makes it feel like a smaller Nikon DX setup

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom