Panasonic Leica 12-60 test/review

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Robstar1963, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  2. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I want it!!

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I had not intended to check out any lenses while at Nelson Photo today and I did not have my camera with me. I saw a box with 12-60mm and asked to see it. He put the lens on a E-M10 Mk II and it felt very comfortable. The battery died so he put the lens on a Pen F, again the camera/lens felt very good in hand.

I was surprised the lens is barely bigger than the Olympus 12-50mm lens! It felt very good, extremely smooth manual focus, very nice feel on the zoon ring. Easy to access buttons to change Manual/AF and OIS On/Off. It focus quickly, is very quiet, and from what little I could tell from zooming on the LCD, I’m going to guess the IQ is every bit as good as the Olympus 4/3s version.

Almost carried it out the door! He was opening a box for the 12mm f/1.4 – it was leave then or I’d end up with two new lenses. When I get rid of some lenses, the 12-60mm is definitely on my list.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Somewhat intrigued by this, it has passed under the radar for me. Still hankering for the 12-35 f:2.8 but the 12-60 do hold some appeal, even if it is very different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. slclick

slclick Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2017
    Utah
    I am surprised, pleasantly that is, that you thought it was a good fit on the F. I wish there was a store locally with one which I could try out on my Pen F. It's the focal range I desire but I just wonder how long of a lens do I want to leave swigning from my sling strap. In hand it's no biggee, I come from the FF 100-44 world but on my hip it's another. Because why did I go small, right?

6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The 12-60 f/2.8-4.0 is only about 5/8" longer than the 75mm you have (without the hood), and pretty close the same weight.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    There are a lot of folks out there already using the 12-35 (like myself) or the O12-40. For them, I think the main question is how much bigger is the 12-60? I posted a comparison (from Camerasize) of the 3 lenses on an E-M10 in the other thread on this topic Any Reviews of the new Panasonic Leica 12-60 F/2.8-4 ??

My feeling is that it's somewhat bulkier than the 12-35, so I do hesitate a little. But since I'm already taking a hit on the size (as opposed to using some small lens like the 12-32 or even 20mm 1.7), it might be OK.