Panasonic Leica 100-400mm on EM5 Mark 2. Impressions and tips?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Peter Bond, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:41 AM.

1. Peter Bond

Peter Bond Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Peter
    I've been researching a zoom lens for wildlife and bird photography, and have recently put in an order for this lens. I would appreciate Olympus users, particularly EM5 Mark 2 users, impressions of using this lens on their camera. Tips on achieving the best results, and camera and lens settings, to maximise results, would be much appreciated.

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    My limited experience (used with EM1.2) would suggest keeping away from the maximum 400mm setting
    I have achieved good results up to about 365mm but imo the performance drops off at the far end
    At lower focal lengths up to about 250mm the lens is stunning with very high contrast and sharpness
    Image stabilisation is very good and the O.I.S in the lens should again imo be used in preference to the IS in the Mk2 - the image stability in the EVF is better with the O.I.S which suggest that the actual stabilisation is better
    Take a look at the showcase thread for this lens to see what people are achieving

Showcase - Panasonic Leica 100-400mm f/4-6.3 DG Vario-Elmar

3. Peter Bond

Peter Bond Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks for your suggestions Robstar.

4. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    I sometimes use it on the EM10MK11, i love the outfit but you may have to forget AFC i use AFS as i couldn't get the results i wanted on AFC.
    Apart from that its a great combination, Rob is not wrong but dont be put off the 400mm end too much and dont be afraid to use it wide open.

EM10MK11, 400mm f6.3, lens IS.

chaff.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Peter Bond

Peter Bond Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks panamike. Love your capture!

• Like Like x 1
  6. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    P8100078. I find that over 95% of my images are shot at 400mm and I find the sharpness etc. more than acceptable

• Like Like x 4
  7. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Although I shoot a Gx8, I find this lens acceptable also at 400mm - 400mm in running jeep @ iso 3200 handheld in bad weather:

94148958755443-5a08808e516b3-.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Peter Bond

Peter Bond Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks AllanG. Superb BIF capture.

9. Peter Bond

Peter Bond Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks. Great capture.

10. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    Used on safari in Africa last summer on my E-M1.2. Great images, throughout the zoom range. Most hand-held.

I used OIS, which worked better in my testing than IBIS.

11. Peter Bond

Peter Bond Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks for your suggestions bassman. Already set to OIS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Peter Hammer

Peter Hammer Mu-43 Rookie

Yesterday
    There is a potential problem with this lens. We have 2 separate lenses grind metal off the lens mount and deposit it inside the camera and in one case it destroyed the shutter on an Olympus OMD-EM1Mk2. The lens seems to be often very much harder to put on and take off on any OMD body. Some of the lenses seem to be missing the rear dust seal as well. If that is missing the lens is much easier to put on and take off so it's worth checking. DSC_0013.JPG

13. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Can you post a picture of the lens mount showing the damage

14. Peter Hammer

Yesterday
    No I can't because it isn't at all easy to see but you can see the result from the photo above. I loaned this camera to a friend now.

15. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Unfortunately the resulting picture above only shows something in the camera, if ime honest Panasonic would say it looks like something thats more likely to come from a cheap Chinese alloy manual adapter,if it really is from the 100-400 mount it needs more serious investigation.
    Ime meeting the Panasonic technical rep on Saturday for a hands on with the G9 and would have liked to have been able to discuss this with him but would need images of the lens mount showing the issue.

16. Peter Hammer

Yesterday
    Clean the inside of the camera and put the lens on 2 and 3 times and see silvery metal there is pretty clear indication that it is a problem with the lens. I just tried my new 100-400 and it deposits metal inside the body of my EM1Mk2 but not in the EM5Mk2. I think the problem is the sealing gasket is too stiff so it pushes the lens mount too much until it compresses.