Showcase Panasonic Leica 100-400mm f/4-6.3 DG Vario-Elmar

I went from G80 to E-M5 Mk III. Tried it the other day on some birding. Paired with my new Oly binocular also. It was great actually. Using the Lens IS and body IS set to "Auto", I didn't notice any particular using so. Turning the Lens IS off and body IS on was a little worse though. Lens IS is very good with long lenses like this and the one in this lens is sure amazing!
It also worked quite well on the smaller body, the grip is improved on Mk III so I thought it actually worked quite well, aside from the looks/balance then.

View attachment 845157

Didn't find any more exciting birds than these ones this time...

View attachment 845159

View attachment 845158
very nice
I tried various IS combinations and settled on the lens On, camera OFF and find that gives best results.
But mine is EM1 2

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Went out to try the Cluster Focusing option with my E-M1 III and PL 100-400. Seems to work pretty well for flying eagles handheld.

P908106306.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P908113514-2.jpg

Last edited:

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks, it actually turned out better than I had hoped. The Cluster Focus picked him pretty good from the background, and than a tight crop to boot.
Nice function, seems to good have in some conditions.
And what amazing photos you got! The second last is my favorite, he looks as focused as the camera :)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
You started it!! ;)
We've scheduled a short (3 day) fall color tour in the eastern UP (that's "upper peninsula" for the uninitiated) at the last of September. This should be right at color peak. We have a motel room reserved directly across the street from the Soo Locks, you can see the ships going through from there. One of our planned stops is the Whitefish Point Maritime Museum, which hosts the EF bell and other memorabilia. You can bet that song will be stuck in my head for a while.

Bluenose

Mu-43 Regular
Went out to try the Cluster Focusing option with my E-M1 III and PL 100-400. Seems to work pretty well for flying eagles handheld.

View attachment 845735

View attachment 845746

View attachment 845745

View attachment 845737
I laugh to myself when you said “Flying eagles handheld” as if that is a particular category within the Olympus menu!!
Obviously these are almost masterful shots. You caught him building his nest.
where I am from there are so many of them along the Mira River in CapeBreton
From a distance they resemble medium sized garbage cans in the trees.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
We've scheduled a short (3 day) fall color tour in the eastern UP (that's "upper peninsula" for the uninitiated) at the last of September. This should be right at color peak. We have a motel room reserved directly across the street from the Soo Locks, you can see the ships going through from there. One of our planned stops is the Whitefish Point Maritime Museum, which hosts the EF bell and other memorabilia. You can bet that song will be stuck in my head for a while.
Made a short one day visit to the Picture Rocks National Lakeshore 2 summers ago... wonderful scenery.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Been there several times. Did you take the boat ride and see it from the Lake? It's one of only three National Lakeshores in the country.
No time for the boat. Just passing through from a fishing trip to northern Wisconsin and on our way back to Florida.
Just a few pics from the day...

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
No time for the boat. Just passing through from a fishing trip to northern Wisconsin and on our way back to Florida.
Just a few pics from the day...

View attachment 847061

View attachment 847062

View attachment 847063
Beautiful Area. That's Castle Rock in the distance in your first shot. I recall standing up there and taking a shot almost straight down at some people in a pontoon boat with my Minolta and a 50mm lens. It was a ridiculously long way down.

Going out in the boat is pretty cool, plenty of photo ops. There are caves and tunnels carved into the rock. The colors come from minerals seeping out with groundwater. Blue, red, purple, green, etc. It's quite something to see from the water.

AlterKnabe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Taken during a walk in the zoo with heavy load on my shoulder (G9 with 100-400).

P1001831_DxO-1800pxV2.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom