Showcase Panasonic Leica 100-400mm f/4-6.3 DG Vario-Elmar

petegiu

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe Petenzi
Gret White Heron
EM-1 PL100-400
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been thoroughly impressed with the output of the 100-400 especially at 400mm and cropping like this one below. I did run some NR in Topaz Denoise because after I recovered some shadows around the claws/tail there was some noise (and still is), I also let Denoise do light sharpening (+10). Anyway, even the base out of camera Jpeg was impressive enough.

Enoch

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Enoch Haven
It wasn't full, but the moon was so bright and the sky so clear I just had to grab some shots tonight.

mountaingoat

Mu-43 Rookie
A few shots from a local park in Brooklyn, NY -

Mike.K

Mu-43 Regular
Found "Fudge" in a basket. shot at 100mm f4 and 1/50sec

Jeroen_W

New to Mu-43
Today I edited a video. I took most footage around my house.. and have been collecting for a while. I really love this lens! Combined with my G9 it's by far the best setup that I ever had. Not sure if video's are OK here, but since all footage is taken with the 100-400:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
So what is everyone’s opinions on the weight/size for carrying this around? When I go out, I’m usually equipped with my P100-300ii, as most of the interesting things I come across are farther away—it’s actually the default lens on my camera when I put it up. The PL50-200 is also very tempting, since it starts at 50 and is not much bigger than the P100-300ii that I cart around now. More range could be had with the teleconverter, but that’s even more money and it comes at a performance price.

The PL100-400 seems more widely available used than the PL50-200, so it would be the cheaper option—I just don’t know if I could be happy with the extra size weight? Any thoughts much appreciated.

mountaingoat

Mu-43 Rookie
I really enjoy this lens paired with the EM5MK3 + JBD wooden grip. A few from a local park in NYC.

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@Darmok N Jalad in my opinion, it’s really difficult to let this lens stay home.
I’ve not got any weight problems with it, but I can easily go with 3 houses (1x g9, 2x em1), and 100-400, 12-40 and 40-150 attached to them.

Malfis

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Malcolm
So what is everyone’s opinions on the weight/size for carrying this around? When I go out, I’m usually equipped with my P100-300ii, as most of the interesting things I come across are farther away—it’s actually the default lens on my camera when I put it up. The PL50-200 is also very tempting, since it starts at 50 and is not much bigger than the P100-300ii that I cart around now. More range could be had with the teleconverter, but that’s even more money and it comes at a performance price.

The PL100-400 seems more widely available used than the PL50-200, so it would be the cheaper option—I just don’t know if I could be happy with the extra size weight? Any thoughts much appreciated.
I think it's almost a 'must have' lens.
I've also got the Oly 300mm Pro - but particularly if I have any travelling to do, it's always the 100-400 that comes with me.
It's also a great performer! 👍

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you need 200 mm, or 400 mm? 50 mm, or 100 mm? That's what it comes down to.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Do you need 200 mm, or 400 mm? 50 mm, or 100 mm? That's what it comes down to.
I could use all of that range. One of the things that I thought of with the 50-200 is that 50 is short enough to get portraits, but I think I’d enjoy 400 even more. I’ll probably start with this 100-400 and go from there. It’s easier to find for better deals right now anyway.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Buying a lens purely on price is about the worst way to go about it. In my experience. It's not too hard to figure out your most used focal length/s and buy accordingly, surely?
Oh, I’d like to own both (haha, who wouldn’t), as I could see a lot of use for both. Cost just helps become a deciding factor. I take a lot of wildlife photos, so 100-400 would be great, but I could also really see using the 50-200 for a walk-around lens. Right now, my most used lens is easily the 100-300. That’s not to say the other 2 lenses I own aren’t invaluable for me (8-18, 12-60), they are just seeing less use in our lockdown life. My main concern with the 100-400 is size/weight. The 50-200 is just a bit heavier than the 100-300, so there isn’t as much concern there, but then I lose range for wildlife unless I drop for a TC.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
So what is everyone’s opinions on the weight/size for carrying this around? When I go out, I’m usually equipped with my P100-300ii, as most of the interesting things I come across are farther away—it’s actually the default lens on my camera when I put it up.
I previously had the 100-300II, and had the same concern. No doubt about it, the 100-400 is quite noticeably heavier. I could hand-hold the 100-300II up all day, but I have to limit the duration of holding the 100-400 up as I start to feel it in my wrists.

In terms of carrying for walking around though, I haven't had any issues with it on my sling strap while walking around for an hour or two. Definitely don't put it around your neck!

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Out of level 4 restrictions and into level 3 - we get to drive to a nearby park as a family. First outing for the lens in a while.

1-2D282616e.jpg

1-2D282772e.jpg

1-2D282955e.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom