Panasonic Layoffs - Olympus "noises"

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by soundimageplus, Apr 28, 2011.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    43 Rumors | Blog | Panasonic to cut 35.000 (overseas) employees!

From 43rumors. An announcement of the layoff of 35,000 people (9% of workforce) for Panasonic worldwide over the next two years. Difficult to say what kind of impact this will have on the camera division, but in the short term it probably will have some.

Generally layoffs of this magnitude don't result in increased, ambitious and speculative product lines.

43 Rumors | Blog

In what seemed a very positive statement from Olympus, there was mention of fast aperture m4/3 lenses, the continuation of 4/3, which was somewhat of a surprise and a rather interesting quote (Courtesy I gather from Google translate, so take with a pinch of salt)"Mr. Watanabe mentioned that Olympus is a camera manufacturer, unlike Sony and Panasonic who makes lots of consumer electronis products, so Oly products will be more like a real camera instead.(when being asked what he thinks of Oly EVILs might be more competitive than SONY or Pana etc. EVIL products)"

There was an interesting speculation going around about Panasonic taking over the Olympus camera division. Well maybe that was the wrong way round.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    The official Panasonic news, as reported by BBC

BBC World News has same news about Panasonic, but with different figures and less drama: BBC News - Panasonic planning to cut 17,000 jobs

They say 17,000 job cuts (out of 367,000, so 4.6%) in a two-years plan. The paper also points at Korean and Chinese competition in home appliances as the main cause for these cutbacks.

I guess Chinese TV screens can't harm :43: cameras... yet.
  3. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Although for things like the IBIS, I prefer the Pens over the G's and F's, I am disappointed that for a "camera manufacturer" Olympus does not do as well as Panasonic does on many of the details that are important to photographers. I have sometimes felt that Olympus must have never let photographers field test their cameras before releasing them.

Here are examples of little things Panasonic got right where Olympus didn't. On the Pens, using the image magnification (to manually focus), one has to press the OK button to bring the view back to normal whereas on the Panny's, a half press of the shutter will bring it back. And I wish there were an option for maybe a 2X magnification (when using long lenses) when 7X and 10X are way too much. The size of the focus area box on the Pens is fixed, on the Panny's one has the option of several different sizes. And generally, the user interface of the Panny's seems better designed, a design with photographers in mind.

I have been hopefully waiting for a Pen firmware fix for some of the above but I have about given up. Again, I still love the Pens but they could easily be much better.

• Like Like x 1
  4. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    I couldn't agree more. Olympus certainly have the advantage when it comes to making their products look very attractive and like "real" cameras, but Panasonic make theirs much easier to use. The Olympus menu system is very confusing and as you indicate, not photographer friendly. I also think Olympus don't make the best of the sensor in terms of image quality.

Its strange because their 4/3 cameras are a delight to use. As you say in your post some photographer feedback (that they listened to) could be useful.
  5. gekopaca

gekopaca Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2010
    I wonder if Luc Saint-Elie will still working for them…
    I hope all is OK for him.
    Luc Saint-Elie
  6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Agreed - nice summary of some of the reason I prefer the Panasonic cameras. I had an EP2 for a while, and was surprised at how less well thought out it was compared to my GF1.