1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

panasonic lack of wireless flash

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by heli-mech, Mar 11, 2012.

1. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Wondering if panasonic has indicated they are working on a wireless flash implementation (wonder then if they could also add it to existing bodies via firmware). Really can't understand why they are licensing Olympus flashes but not the wireless "protocols".
    In process of switching from Nikon to M4/3 and personally I like the GH series style bodies the most but the lack of wireless flash support is a bit of a put off. Switching over to reduce the mass of my system so I really don't want to have to carry around radio transmitters.

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There are numerous 3rd party wireless flash systems available if this is the only thing stopping you from choosing the gh2. I don't iuse flash much, but I find the gh2 to be excellent in all other respects.

Will the GH3 support it? Hard to guess, but Panasonic has indicated they are working on more "high end" gear, so it's possible.

3. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    • Like Like x 2
  4. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Thanks, I actually already "choose" the GH2. Came across a great deal on a 14-140/GH2 kit so I took the plunge. Like the looks of the OM-d but I would want the grip and IMO $1299 is a little high so I'll wait. Now I just need to sell off my D7000 and lenses to start buying some m4/3 glass.

Just seems bizarre to use olympus flashes and not use there wireless system. I wonder when/if they do impliment it, if the panasonic system with even be compatible with the Oly one, in other words when buying a flash now should one worry about wireless capability?

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    My guess would be that if Panasonic implements wireless it'll be Oly's system. Panasonic has never, to my knowledge, engineering their own flashes.

That's nothing more than a guess, however, and (unlike many others) I freely admit I have no real knowledge of the subject at all.

6. fcyphotography

fcyphotography Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 10, 2012
    NYC
    it's time to try off camera flash.
    good thing is thatm, the hot shoes of Oly and Pana M4/3 cameras would support ebay flash trigger, it will be a lot cheaper to get those setup and the result will be much much interesting then just using on camera flash to control other flash.

and you don't need to buy any brand name flash, just the YN brand.

It will take some time to master the manual flash, but that is the fun part of it.

7. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I have used manual settings with my Nikon setup but sometimes (especially with young kids who are constantly moving) wireless TTL is a nice simple option, that with Nikon anyway, just works. Anyway just getting started with m4/3 so we will see how it goes.

8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    With my young kid who is constantly moving, I just do a lot of bounce flash off the wall, on manual.

9. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I have wondered the same thing since owning the Panasonic L10 (old 4/3 camera). So far there has not been any indication that it will be implemented by panasonic, but its been my only gripe against panny bodies.

10. tabbyarthur

tabbyarthur Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2011
    what is the flash you are using with the remote? Do you know if the Metz flashes are supported?

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have no interest in or need for Panasonic doing anything. I just trigger my off-camera strobes using a cheapo hot-shoe flash with most of the lens taped off. It doesn't put out enough light to affect my subject lighting but still reliably triggers a Metz 48 or a pair of Metz 60 CT-4s. The 48 has a built-in slave mode. For the 60s I am using Wein "Peanut" triggers. YMMV, of course.

12. tabbyarthur

tabbyarthur Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2011
    with the Cowboy Studion wireless unit, can you trigger the FL-36R with it when used with an umbrella stand?

13. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Little known fact

Actually, they've been in the strobe business much longer than people realize. They manufacture strobes for some of the most famous companies in that industry.

This reference goes back to the 1970's
    Vivitar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Vivitar also offered a new type of semi-professional flash unit from National/Panasonic under the Vivitar label called the Vivitar 260. The flash was acclaimed for its innovative design, but criticized for its use of expensive 9 volt batteries. Recognizing the problem, Max Ponder traveled to Japan to meet with the manufacturer, offering suggestions for improvements based on the feedback received from customers. The improved flash was introduced in 1970 as the Vivitar 283. The Vivitar 283 quickly became the number one professional and enthusiast flash unit, outselling all its competitors combined and selling 3,000,000 by 1973. In production for over 30 years, it was twice returned to production after being discontinued in response to customer demand."

I believe the company that is behind all the manufacturing in Japan and China is West Electric. So why haven't they entered this market? Still a mystery ...