Panasonic junk files

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by iau, Mar 27, 2011.

1. iau

iau Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2009

I have a GF1 that when I empty the memory card it always leaves some junk files on my hard drive. It's 4 files: INDEX.BDM, MOVIEOBJ.BDM, THUMB.TDT and THUMB.TID. I understand these are related to video. I'm not using video but yet in insist on putting those four files on my HD. It also happens with my LX5.

I have tried formatting the memory card but nothing seems to help. It get quite annoying looking up and deleting those files. Does anybody have any idea on how to solve this small problem? I'm using a card reader, btw.

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    As per the names I believe the camera creates them automatically - index and thumbnail files for the images and movies on the SD card.

Not sure if theres any easy way to avoid them short of using image management software to handle moving the pictures off the SD card and leaving the cameras 'scratch' files alone so you're not left to deal with them manually.

3. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    I had this happen with a PC laptop. It does not happen with the MacBook Pro......and the Mac gives superb photo quality.....and the OS is superb....and................. !
  4. Is it possible those strange files are supposed to be hidden? If so a show hidden files box checked for that card?
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I've never had this happen using LR3 or Faststone which both recognise image files only. I suspect you are using Windows Explorer and copying all files. I suspect the thumbnails are there for LCD preview in camera.
  6. iau

iau Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I'm on Mac and use Photo Mechanic to import the photos from the card. I have PM rename the files and put them in folders acording the date taken. Strangely, with the GF1 it also creates an empty 1970-folder. I think all this has something to do with the video functions, but I never use this.

The files don't appear to be hidden but are in hte folder named PRIVATE on the memory card.