Panasonic jpeg quality in recent cameras (GX8, G7, GX85)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kingduct, Sep 10, 2016.

1. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I've had my G5 for three years and am getting close to pulling the trigger on a new camera body. I will likely be choosing between an E-M10 ii or a GX85 (or conceivably the new camera Panasonic will soon be announcing).

Before I had my G5, I had an E-PL1 and I adored the out-of-camera jpegs. Not so with the G5, so I've processed RAW over the last few years. The images are beautiful and I've loved the camera, but I'm getting tired of processing images and don't really have the time either -- I want to go back to out-of-camera jpegs primarily.

So my question is: how much have the Panasonic out-of-camera jpegs improved? How competitive are they with the current Olympus models?

(Please, don't just recommend I shoot RAW!)

2. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    The only Panasonic camera competing with Olympus out of camera jpegs is pAn-F.
    Sorry for bad joke.)

Sent from my D5503 using Mu-43 app

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The GX85 JPEGs are what I would call a lot closer to Olympus, if you want punchy, vibrant colors and no color casts, the GX85 has it. I've taken some street shots I was intending to convert to B&W, but the color tones in the standard JPEG were so nice I haven't touched the RAW files yet.

The GX85 also has a really nice, moody L Monochrome JPEG mode, which I would say is nicer than any of the Olympus offerings except the PEN F, with its in-depth JPEG settings.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the GX8 but I never got the impression its JPEGs were as nice as the GX85, I think it's the first Panasonic to have really got on the same level as Olympus.

oh and um...

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    GM5, GX7, GX80 all produce excellent jpg images. I never liked the over-saturated jpg images out of Olympus cameras.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They've been really close since the GX7. Here's a detailed side by side of JPEG output from GX7 and E-M5. Too close to pick a winner, IMO:

Panasonic Lumix GX7 Vs Olympus OM-D E-M5 Comparison Review

(For easier comparison, open the page up twice in two different windows so you can examine side-by-side)

Neither brand has changed basic output rendering since these cameras, so it's a pretty good comparo for newer bodies, too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    All I know is, the GX85 looks a lot different than the GM5.

oh and um...

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Is it DR? GM5 had less DR due to e-shutter mechanism.

8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    It's mainly color treatment. The DR difference was mostly only when e-shutter was used, which I typically avoided using.

oh and um...

9. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Thank you all for your opinions -- when I got the G5, I knew that one of the trade-offs was the jpeg quality. It sounds like it's not really a trade-off anymore (though more opinions are certainly welcome!).

I know that the Pen-F's specialty is supposed to be jpegs, but I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars extra for a few more in-camera jpeg options.

10. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I gave up on Panasonic after the GH2. Switched over to Olympus and am not willing to spend any more $ on Panasonic until....I don't know if I'll ever get any Panny.

11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I really like the GX85's in-camera JPEG processing. It produces nice punchy files, and the camera settings are very versatile: for example, there is a very handy shadows/highlights adjustment tool. In my opinion, in previous Panasonic cameras AWB tended to err on the side of green, but I don't see any green cast in the GX85's OOC JPEGs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    Nothing wrong with GX8 jpegs. It's entirely up to you to adjust the settings to get color that works for you. Really no excuse for not getting WB right, with an EVF and both a Kelvin scale, as well as the fine adjust point scale, that lets you get what you see.
    I've gone to shooting jpegs mostly, due to both those features, as well as the custom user set tone curves, and iDynamic. Which I have mapped to one of the function buttons.
    I love my Canon cameras colors, and think my GX8 does just as nice a job in jpegs.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    as it happens I borrowed my friends GX85 and compared it to my GH1 and GF1 this weekend.

I'm of the view that the GX85 JPG's are pretty darn good ... enough to make me wonder if I would bother with RAW that much now. (well of course on some shots)

14. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I am still thinking about my next camera and was hoping some more opinions could be given on GX8 vs GX85 jpeg quality (I've been assuming the G85 jpegs will be comparable to the GX85's).

Does anybody else see a real difference between the GX8 and GX85 when it comes to jpeg quality?

15. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I don't have much JPEG experience with the GX8 but I would be surprised if it looked much different from the GM5, and the big area where I saw a difference was between the GM5 and the GX85.

16. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    From what I can tell, the GX8 was released roughly halfway between the GM5 and GX85. Also, it's got a different sensor. It seems reasonable that it could have better jpegs than the GM5.

I'm slowly narrowing down what I want as my next camera. Were the GX8 to have a fire-sale, I might be willing to buy it. However, only if the jpegs are comparable to the GX85 and G85. Jpeg quality has become a deal-breaker for me -- I process RAW files now, but it seriously delays my photography and has turned it into too much of a chore.

17. jerrysdean43

jerrysdean43 New to Mu-43

Oct 19, 2016
    Here are JPG's from my first GX8 shoot, I think they are quite nice. CatalinaColor2

18. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    That's the thing though. You have the tools at your disposal to get the jpegs exactly how you like. It just takes a tiny bit of effort on your behalf. Start with the WB offset feature. You can offset the WB in any direction you want. Shift it bluer, or greener, magenta or redder. Or anywhere in between. Just hit the WB button, choose auto, then the down arrow key, and tweak away. You can watch the results in real time. Leave both eyes open, & compare to real life. The camera then remembers this offset, & applies it to all your shots, even in auto WB setting. Then just tweak saturation & contrast in the picture styles, & you're laughing. Add in the iDynamic setting and you've got a ripping good tool to capture jpeg shots to however they suit your taste. Entirely of your own making.

19. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Every digital camera I've ever had required some tweaks to its JPG settings including my Panasonics and Olympus'. I have two current Panasonic cameras: GX8 and LX100. I generally one of the presets (Natural or Standard) and adjust contrast, saturation, sharpening and NR for one of them to taste, and get results as pleasing to my Olympus bodies. I prefer AWB under incandescent or other low temp lighting with Olympus, because it has a Keep Warm menu setting. When set to OFF gives reasonably good AWB under low temps. Interestingly, the LX100 is much better than the GX8 for AWB under low temps. A custom WB taken from a white card is best, and is easier to set with the Panasonics.

20. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2016
    The JPEG on the GX8 looks a lot better than the RAW on my camera. I am beginning to think that maybe it is time to shoot in JPEG only because of that.